Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking at Tuners.....

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
    I'm using the TC Polytune 2. I used a Boss for a long time and I wasn't sure I liked the TC at first but I do now. It intermittently added noise on bypass but a flash update fixed it (TC took a couple of days to respond but they sent me the link to the software to flash it). Polyphonic mode doesn't jibe perfectly but it's close and good for a quick check.

I have the Planet Waves strobe pedal tuner too. They were notorious for the display going out but it was 39 bucks on clearance a while back. I wouldn't use it on my board and it is a PITA like BrianS mentions. It is real accurate though. I use it for intonating ... when I bother. :-)
    Interesting. Have you tried A/B it with the Polytune 2's strobe mode? TC claims the strobe mode is as accurate as any Peterson.
    Originally posted by Myaccount876
    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

I used to have a strobostomp which I loved until the switch started popping so I got a Turbo Tuner which is even better on a board as the display is quicker, it's easy to see and a smaller footprint. I have set guitars up with it but I have a Peterson VS 2 for that which is more a table top tuner. I recently added a Polytune black edition with blue and white LEDs to my small board which seems ok and I'm sure you could intonate a guitar with it.

Comment

Thanks for all the feed back. It is much appreciated!
        Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
        If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

Originally posted by Archer250 View Post
          Interesting. Have you tried A/B it with the Polytune 2's strobe mode? TC claims the strobe mode is as accurate as any Peterson.
          I've had it for a while now and pretty much just use the polyphonic and chromatic modes. I've been lazy lately and aside from taking time with the Planet Waves on a couple of guitars when I first got it, I've just used the TC's chromatic mode and said "good enough". Like I said, I've been lazy. I have one of the cheaper Gibsons I picked up a few months back and haven't even changed the strings yet. When I do that (soon), I'll compare the Planet Waves with the TC's strobe mode. It wont tell me how the Planet Waves or the TC compares to a Peterson, in terms of accuracy, but at least I can compare the PW and TC. At any rate, it's a good idea, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
            I've had it for a while now and pretty much just use the polyphonic and chromatic modes. I've been lazy lately and aside from taking time with the Planet Waves on a couple of guitars when I first got it, I've just used the TC's chromatic mode and said "good enough". Like I said, I've been lazy. I have one of the cheaper Gibsons I picked up a few months back and haven't even changed the strings yet. When I do that (soon), I'll compare the Planet Waves with the TC's strobe mode. It wont tell me how the Planet Waves or the TC compares to a Peterson, in terms of accuracy, but at least I can compare the PW and TC. At any rate, it's a good idea, thanks.
            I always put my Polytune mini on strobe mode lol. It still does poly tuning, but chromatic tuning is much more precise.
            Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Musician's Friend's Stupid Deal of the Day today is a Korg Desktop Polyphonic Tuner for $24.99. I had $25 in my PayPal account so I figured it was a sign.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Can't go wrong with either, but the Polytune is easier to read

Nice demo, though I've seen another that really dumps on the Turbo as far as pitch detection speed:

I'm not sure this is a fair test (it's done by the Polytune's makers and the Turbo and Polytune are both in needle mode while the TU-3 is in strobe), but taking it at face value the Turbo is very visibly the slowest of the bunch.

All three of these blow the older TU-2 I have out of the water as far as speed and accuracy are concerned, though. Might be time to upgrade. If I do, it'll probably be the Polytune 2, I like its display modes and LED colors the best, it has power pass-through unlike the Mini and Noir, and it's true bypass unlike the TU-3.

As for phone apps, I'm an Android guy so I use PitchLab. It'll tune anything it can hear, and it has polytonal capability so it has a multi-needle mode and a very useful chord recognition mode. The only beef is that the needles and the strobe displays don't always agree; when the strobe is showing you solid vertical lines, the needle indicates you're slightly above pitch, so I avoid the combination modes.

Comment

Originally posted by Liko View Post
                  Nice demo, though I've seen another that really dumps on the Turbo as far as pitch detection speed:

I'm not sure this is a fair test (it's done by the Polytune's makers and the Turbo and Polytune are both in needle mode while the TU-3 is in strobe), but taking it at face value the Turbo is very visibly the slowest of the bunch.

All three of these blow the older TU-2 I have out of the water as far as speed and accuracy are concerned, though. Might be time to upgrade. If I do, it'll probably be the Polytune 2, I like its display modes and LED colors the best, it has power pass-through unlike the Mini and Noir, and it's true bypass unlike the TU-3.

As for phone apps, I'm an Android guy so I use PitchLab. It'll tune anything it can hear, and it has polytonal capability so it has a multi-needle mode and a very useful chord recognition mode. The only beef is that the needles and the strobe displays don't always agree; when the strobe is showing you solid vertical lines, the needle indicates you're slightly above pitch, so I avoid the combination modes.
                  But... That's a Korg...

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Comment

But... That's a Korg...

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
                    Oops.

Comment

Originally posted by BadBen View Post
                      Musician's Friend's Stupid Deal of the Day today is a Korg Desktop Polyphonic Tuner for $24.99. I had $25 in my PayPal account so I figured it was a sign.

This Korg is a great tuner, I paid a bit more for mine. Great for intonation setting (+/- 0.1 cent), and an awesome display for a pedal board. Only caveat is no stomp mute, so you either need to not care or have it in the tuner out of a volume pedal (that's what I do)

Everyone else, buy it, great deal!
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

That Korg tuner is the SDOTD again today.

Comment

Have had the Boss TU-2 tuner for about 7-8 years now and its a beast! Been gigged relentlessly with and has never let me down! Dark stages, bright stages, indoor/outdoor venues, studio and live, its been a workhorse. I also have the Polytune mini which is also pretty good, as my TU-2 is stuck down on my band pedalboard I only use it for gigs mainly, so for rehearsals I use the Polytune.

Comment

Alil late to the party, but I recently got a Korg pitchblack and so far Im quite pleased.
                            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by DeadandBuried View Post
                              Have had the Boss TU-2 tuner for about 7-8 years now and its a beast! Been gigged relentlessly with and has never let me down! Dark stages, bright stages, indoor/outdoor venues, studio and live, its been a workhorse. I also have the Polytune mini which is also pretty good, as my TU-2 is stuck down on my band pedalboard I only use it for gigs mainly, so for rehearsals I use the Polytune.
                              Seems like that should be backwards; you'd want to be more in tune for performances. The TU-2 will show "in-tune" up to 3 cents from true pitch, while the Polytune Mini is accurate to half a cent. The Boss stompbox chassis does speak for itself though, and if you're daisychaining power on one or the other board the Polytune Mini wouldn't help you there.

Comment

Originally posted by Liko View Post
                                Seems like that should be backwards; you'd want to be more in tune for performances. The TU-2 will show "in-tune" up to 3 cents from true pitch, while the Polytune Mini is accurate to half a cent. The Boss stompbox chassis does speak for itself though, and if you're daisychaining power on one or the other board the Polytune Mini wouldn't help you there.
                                Hmm maybe....though I doubt anyone is going to notice anyway haha.

Comment

Working...
                                X