Good metal pedal/amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good metal pedal/amp?

Hey guys I've been looking to get a new amp or effect pedal to go with my new bad ass 7 string but I'm stuck on what I should get. I have a zoom g1on and it has all the delay/reverb/chorus I could ever want or need but now Im looking for something with a really nice distortion on it. I'm willing to get anot her amp as well if it's cheap enough!
    Do yall got any suggestions?

Re: Good metal pedal/amp?

The phenomenon of Fulltone OCD should you know my padawan.

Or copies if cheaper.
    Need of FUZZ ?
    Need of CENTAUR ?

Comment

Hmm would I have to use another distortion/OD pedal with it to get the "balls to the wall" metal gain?

Comment

Originally posted by czarokrates View Post
        The phenomenon of Fulltone OCD should you know my padawan.

Or copies if cheaper.
        Originally posted by anthonyshawnr View Post
        Hmm would I have to use another distortion/OD pedal with it to get the "balls to the wall" metal gain?
        Yes. The OCD is basically an overdrive. A lot of people seem to not be able to define metal when they're making suggestions.

What amp are you using? I'd recommend an amp over a distortion pedal just about any time, although take a look at the AMT Legend pedals, they'll nail some decent metal tones, especially the R, P, and S ones.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
        @ArizonaVoters

Comment

I'm playing through a roland gx 20 right now and it has a pretty good metal sound as is but I want something different, the clean channel is amazing on the cube that's why I was asking about a pedal but if there's a quality amp with a good metal channel I'll consider it
          Btw Im working with a 200$ budget max lol

Comment

I would say *borrow* a pedal first to make sure it works properly. Some of the digital modelers will sound absolutely horrible with a distortion pedal in front of them.

Twitter:
            @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Well its not too bad but honestly I think I might get the Vox vt20x, that dual rectifier model is killer. And it's a tube hybrid and you can even swith from class A to AB and adjust the bias of the tube. There's alot of control with that amp and I know the VT20's take pedals as if it's a real tube amp! My other options I was looking at was a Randall Diavlo or a Boss ME25. The market is so flooded with **** products I wanna make sure I get it right this time lol

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
                Yes. The OCD is basically an overdrive.

A lot of people seem to not be able to define metal when they're making suggestions.

What amp are you using? I'd recommend an amp over a distortion pedal just about any time, although take a look at the AMT Legend pedals, they'll nail some decent metal tones, especially the R, P, and S ones.

I'll 2nd the amp over a pedal.

On the 'cheap', i would deff look into the Dime series of amps.

http://www.amazon.com/Dime-Amplifica.../dp/B003HHAPB2 - $440.00 new, even cheaper used.

Also, do not overlook the Randal units, like the RG 50TC (all tube)

Basically comes down to how much you want to spend on an amp.
                Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

I'm playing through a roland gx 20 right now and it has a pretty good metal sound as is but I want something different, the clean channel is amazing on the cube that's why I was asking about a pedal but if there's a quality amp with a good metal channel I'll consider it
                  Btw Im working with a 200$ budget max lol

MMmmm, $200.00 . . . look into a used (but trusty) Peavey Bandit.

There is a reason many guys start with this amp to get their heavy tones.
                  Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

There's bandits all over this town used for right around 125, pretry much every peavey transtube models are in the pawn shops down here lol I guess I'm gonna have to go pawnshop hopping this morning lol

Also I only really play at bedroom volumes, so there's really no need for a 50 or 100 watt amp imo. Especially if it's a full tube
                    Last edited by anthonyshawnr; 12-16-2015, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Are the AMT legend pedals really that good to spend 160$ on a single pedal? Yall have pretty much talked me into buying an amp, and unfortunately they sold out of all the Randall diavlo 1watt combos and the 5watt is about to be sold out too. Idk what would be better a cheap tube combo amp with just one awesome/legendary gain channel, or a Vox with upto 4 high gain models?

Comment

Orange Micro Dark.
                        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I find for real metal tones getting your gain from the amp is the only way to go.
                          I have never really played a "metal" pedal that truly got it there..

Comment

There's bandits all over this town used for right around 125, pretry much every peavey transtube models are in the pawn shops down here lol I guess I'm gonna have to go pawnshop hopping this morning lol

Also I only really play at bedroom volumes, so there's really no need for a 50 or 100 watt amp imo. Especially if it's a full tube
                            No real reason to go full tube either. There's plenty of good solid state amps out there, played by a number of professionals.

Randall RG75s will do metal pretty well too, and are overlooked.

With large solid state amps you can always play at lower volumes but they'll hit the levels of distortion you're looking for, and the speakers will sound better. 8 inch and 10 inch speakers will *rarely* sound good.

Twitter:
                            @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Hmm I've been looking at small wattage full tube and ss combos just for the fact that you can get a good sounding distortion at low volumes. I've personally never had any problems with smaller amps but then again I've only played less than a handful of em lol I used to have a Vox VT20 that was pretty good for a small combo. Also this roland is pretty decent but it just feels like it's lacking something distortion wise, that's why I was asking about pedals but I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna go with a new amp. And out of all the suggestions which one would have enough gain for say a Far Beyond Driven type distortion?

Comment

Working...
                              X