X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dominus
    replied
    Re: Good metal pedal/amp?

Buy used from Guitar Center and buy the extended warranty. Then you get *local* repairs and don't have to ship it out. A lot of warranties specify that you have to ship it to them.

Leave a comment:

• anthonyshawnr
    replied

Well I got ****ed over by musicians friend, so now I'm back to square one, I'm thinking about doing the randall rg80 just because it would be brand new and be under warranty. Do yall think that will hold up to a 7 string with blackouts in it? Btw I'm playing heavy/death metal and I'm trying to avoid having to buy a new pedal if I'm buying a new amp.

Leave a comment:

• anthonyshawnr
    replied

Try pedal genie, they have plenty of dist/OD pedals and it's pretty cheap for all the pedals you get to try

Leave a comment:

• ThisDyingSoul76
    replied

I'm facing this dilemma too. I know what amps I would get if I could afford a new amp but in the mean time I'm looking for a pedal that will get me close.

Currently I'm using a Laney Cub 12R, good for 60's and 70's tones but as you get to 80's and more modern tones it just doesn't have enough balls. I assume this to be partly due to being an open back combo and could probably get better results with a closed back extension cabinet.

I'm basically looking for a pedal that will provide a decent EQ. I've found the voicing of the EQ more important than the amount of saturation. A thick, tight bass response is ideal, but also a good high end to add clarity and punchy mids. I have my eye on the MXR Super Badass Distortion, Marshall Guv'nor Plus (with mods), or the Digitech Metal Distortion. I just need to get my hands on the pedals some how and try them out.

Leave a comment:

• dominus
    replied

Originally posted by anthonyshawnr View Post
    Isn't the rg75 a SS amp? And tbh I've never had a problem with smaller speakers, for my application (bedroom practice). And like I said if it's not enough oomph I have until February to get a full refund, or I could just go smash it in the street because I got the 2 year coverage on it lol
    Plus I've never been that good at dialing in an EQ just right so I thought it would be easier to dial in with just a tone knob and a tss switch.
    Yes, the RG75 is a SS amp. (Some models like the RG75D G3 have a single tube, making them a hybrid.)

Modelers are specifically tuned to the smaller speakers.

Leave a comment:

• anthonyshawnr
    replied

Isn't the rg75 a SS amp? And tbh I've never had a problem with smaller speakers, for my application (bedroom practice). And like I said if it's not enough oomph I have until February to get a full refund, or I could just go smash it in the street because I got the 2 year coverage on it lol
    Plus I've never been that good at dialing in an EQ just right so I thought it would be easier to dial in with just a tone knob and a tss switch.

Leave a comment:

• dominus
    replied

I thought the Diavlo (I had the 45) still needed a bit of a push from an overdrive. The 5W combo has a 10" speaker (bad), less tubes than the larger models (bad), and a single "tone" knob rather than 3+ EQ knobs. (BAD.)

The RG75 is a combo with a 12" speaker, and can be had for $125-$150 used.

Leave a comment:

• anthonyshawnr
    replied

Thanks for the suggestions guys, do you think I'd be better off buying a new randall diavlo 5w combo, or a used randall? Btw I'm working with a 200$ budget now, so I can't drop 400 on a head&cab lol

Leave a comment:

• Liko
    replied

Hey guys I've been looking to get a new amp or effect pedal to go with my new bad ass 7 string but I'm stuck on what I should get. I have a zoom g1on and it has all the delay/reverb/chorus I could ever want or need but now Im looking for something with a really nice distortion on it. I'm willing to get anot her amp as well if it's cheap enough!
    Do yall got any suggestions?
    What genre/generation of metal? For '70s-'80s classic metal, the Hardwire Valve Distortion does some wonderful things. It has a "Crunch" setting for early hard rock/metal "more than overdrive" sounds (think "Back in Black"), and a "Saturated" setting for more modern high-gain scooped dirt (it's easily capable of Drowning Pool), and with a good compressor in front of it and a good reverb behind it'll give you some excellent EVH/Satch stuff. I find that with PAF-type humbuckers it stops just short of the ultra-dirty prog/death/hardcore metal sound, but as I don't do a lot of that kind of music I don't have any guitars loaded with anything higher-output to push the boundaries.

Leave a comment:

• ehdwuld
    replied

The Digitech Deathmetal pedal has one good sound

But it's the one you want

$20 used at GC everyday

Leave a comment:

• Shooter.556
    replied

Originally posted by dominus View Post
    No real reason to go full tube either. There's plenty of good solid state amps out there, played by a number of professionals.

Randall RG75s will do metal pretty well too, and are overlooked.

With large solid state amps you can always play at lower volumes but they'll hit the levels of distortion you're looking for, and the speakers will sound better. 8 inch and 10 inch speakers will *rarely* sound good.
    I gigged in a metal band with an RG200 and a Randall 4x12. I paid $450 for it on Ebay and drove and picked it up..
    That amp was instant Crowbar and Pantera tones..

Leave a comment:

• dominus
    replied

Hmm I've been looking at small wattage full tube and ss combos just for the fact that you can get a good sounding distortion at low volumes. I've personally never had any problems with smaller amps but then again I've only played less than a handful of em lol I used to have a Vox VT20 that was pretty good for a small combo. Also this roland is pretty decent but it just feels like it's lacking something distortion wise, that's why I was asking about pedals but I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna go with a new amp. And out of all the suggestions which one would have enough gain for say a Far Beyond Driven type distortion?
    Dimebag played Randall amps. Like I said, Randall RG75.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    The Dirty Deed pedal can go from hard rock to metal very well. It is great on its own, or pushing an already distorted amp.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

The Dirty Deed pedal can go from hard rock to metal very well. It is great on its own, or pushing an already distorted amp.

Leave a comment:

• anthonyshawnr
    replied

Hmm I've been looking at small wattage full tube and ss combos just for the fact that you can get a good sounding distortion at low volumes. I've personally never had any problems with smaller amps but then again I've only played less than a handful of em lol I used to have a Vox VT20 that was pretty good for a small combo. Also this roland is pretty decent but it just feels like it's lacking something distortion wise, that's why I was asking about pedals but I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna go with a new amp. And out of all the suggestions which one would have enough gain for say a Far Beyond Driven type distortion?

Leave a comment:

• dominus
    replied

There's bandits all over this town used for right around 125, pretry much every peavey transtube models are in the pawn shops down here lol I guess I'm gonna have to go pawnshop hopping this morning lol

Also I only really play at bedroom volumes, so there's really no need for a 50 or 100 watt amp imo. Especially if it's a full tube
    No real reason to go full tube either. There's plenty of good solid state amps out there, played by a number of professionals.

Randall RG75s will do metal pretty well too, and are overlooked.

With large solid state amps you can always play at lower volumes but they'll hit the levels of distortion you're looking for, and the speakers will sound better. 8 inch and 10 inch speakers will *rarely* sound good.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X