banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Distortion Pedals: Wampler SLOstortion vs. Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe vs. Suhr Riot vs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distortion Pedals: Wampler SLOstortion vs. Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe vs. Suhr Riot vs.

Hi all, looking to grab a new distortion pedal to replace my aging Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde V2 which is pretty decent, but I've never been 100% satisfied with it for various reasons. I've basically narrowed it down to these 4 (I think): Wampler SLOstortion, Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe, Truetone Jekyll & Hyde V3, or the Suhr Riot. I've done research, read reviews, watched demos, but haven't been able to try any of these out, since they don't seem to be in stock very often locally. Now, since none of these are that cheap for a pedal, I'd really appreciate some input on any of these, although I am open to suggestions outside of these 4 pedals.

What I'm looking for:
    Versatility (from transparent overdrive to balls-to-the-wall)
    Quality of tone (needs to be well rounded and versatile, but not compromise good, pure tone)
    Clarity & Harmonics(can't be muddy or one-dimensional/"flat")
    Needs to sound natural and organic: "amp-like"

*these aren't in any particular order, and anything else would just be a plus, although a clean boost would be rather nice

I know it may be sort of vague, but I hope someone can lead me in the right direction or have some suggestions. Thanks for your time!

Re: Distortion Pedals: Wampler SLOstortion vs. Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe vs. Suhr Riot

Check this one out. It's basically got a TS circuit on one side and the plexi pedal on the other. It's pretty sweet!

Comment

Re: Distortion Pedals: Wampler SLOstortion vs. Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe vs. Suhr Riot

If it absolutely has to be one of those four...

Suhr Riot won't do balls to the wall. SLOstortion might.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
      @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post

Depends on your concept of "balls to the wall". To some (you ) that's Nile and Carcass, to him it could be Judas Priest.
        Dear OP, what is the heaviest tones you think you might be using regularly? Any bands or albums we might compare to? That changes everything.
        Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
        Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
        Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
        Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Only if he's referring to Accept's song.

Twitter:
          @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Keeley has been offering quite a few interesting things of late. https://robertkeeley.com/product-category/overdrive/

Comment

Check out our Dirty Deed! I wrote a blog about it, but that isn't showing up on our new site yet. The other link has all of the relevant info, though.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                Depends on your concept of "balls to the wall". To some (you ) that's Nile and Carcass, to him it could be Judas Priest.
                Dear OP, what is the heaviest tones you think you might be using regularly? Any bands or albums we might compare to? That changes everything.
                When I say "balls to the wall", I'm thinking Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, or System of A Down, relatively heavy and thick sounding.

Comment

That's really great to know, thanks! And nah, it doesn't have to be one of those four, I'm just considering those four, mostly based on specs on paper and the things I've heard. If you have any suggestions outside of these, I'm totally open to hearing them.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Comment

AMT Legend pedals - S1, P1, R1. They'll do heavy and thick. Toss an overdrive in front to tighten them up.

Twitter:
                    @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by mijaddict View Post
                      When I say "balls to the wall", I'm thinking Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, or System of A Down, relatively heavy and thick sounding.
                      There are better options than any of the ones listed for that style of gain. The SLOstortion in particular is not what you are looking for. If you wanted Wampler maybe the Triple Wreck?
                      Quality riffs in about a minute...
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post
                        There are better options than any of the ones listed for that style of gain. The SLOstortion in particular is not what you are looking for. If you wanted Wampler maybe the Triple Wreck?
                        My only concern with that pedal is if it turns out to be a one-trick pony that can only do high gain and nothing else. I'm sort of looking for an all around thing where I can do light overdrive and soft classic rock like Zeppelin as well, if need be. But if it's versatile, I'll definitely check it out.

Comment

Go to YouTube and watch the demos for the AMT Legend pedals. They will do metal with the gain turned all the way up, but they will also do rock with the gain turned down.

That's the nice thing about distortion. There's always less available. Rarely is there more.

Twitter:
                          @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Go to YouTube and watch the demos for the AMT Legend pedals. They will do metal with the gain turned all the way up, but they will also do rock with the gain turned down.

That's the nice thing about distortion. There's always less available. Rarely is there more.
                            I just browsed through a couple of their models and went on youtube... Woah, I've been missing out all this time, thanks for the suggestion man, I'll definitely be considering the AMT pedals.

Comment

If you buy one of the AMT pedals to run into the front of an amp, get the Legend "2" series or one of the distortion pedals. The Legend "1" series are pretty much made to be preamps only.

Comment

Working...
                              X