PEDAL ORDER?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PEDAL ORDER?

I know I asked this long ago and just revisited that thread, but have made some changes. My main concerns are the placement of the noise suppressor and wah.

I have my chain as follows: If using my amp with loop I break the chain as follows:

Tuner/ EQ / Chorus / Delay / Delay / reverb : to the loop

Wah / OD / OD / noise gate: to the front

On a non loop amp I go from: tuner / eq / chorus / delay / delay / reverb / wah / od / od / noise supp : to the front.

Sound right? Or would a different path be more beneficial and why? Thanks
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: PEDAL ORDER?

Why do you have your tuner in the loop? What kind of noise gate are you using? Is it like a NS-2 with a loop?

Other than that it looks fine, I kinda like analog chorus in front, but it's personal preference.

Comment

I would say I've tried go by others' "order of pedals" and didn't care for the sound...I would say run it through multiple ways and and see what responds and sounds best to you.

Comment

I always used the noise gate after the distortion in the front of the amp with no effects loop. With an effects loop, I prefer the noise gate in the loop to cut down on any extra hum from the preamp.
        Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
        Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
        Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
        Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
        Line 6 Helix
        Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

The general order to my pedals is to shape up and fly right...do your job or you'll be doing push-ups 'till your arms fall off!

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
            Tuner/ EQ / Chorus / Delay / Delay / reverb : to the loop

Wah / OD / OD / noise gate: to the front
            Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
            On a non loop amp I go from: tuner / eq / chorus / delay / delay / reverb / wah / od / od / noise supp : to the front.
            Your second chain will sound quite different than your first chain. If you want them to sound closer to one another I'd set it up like so:

wah / od / od / noise supp / tuner / eq / chorus / delay / delay / reverb

This way you can use your ODs as your distorted sound into a clean amp to simulated the amp distortion you would be getting with the non-loop path. That way you can get clean delay and reverb of your od sounds.

I'm partial to wah after OD for a stronger wakka wakka sound for some stuff.

EQ can go anywhere, and does different things depending on where you put it.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
              Your second chain will sound quite different than your first chain. If you want them to sound closer to one another I'd set it up like so:

This way you can use your ODs as your distorted sound into a clean amp to simulated the amp distortion you would be getting with the non-loop path. That way you can get clean delay and reverb of your od sounds.

this

Comment

I tend to do a couple things differently than most, and I'll give reasons why.

1. I usually run my noise gate at the very beginning of the chain, usually right after the tuner. The reason for this is it senses the input directly from my guitar, and therefore can better track and distinguish what is "noise" to suppress, and what I mean to be playing. If you happen to have a gate with a loop you can still run all your gain pedals and the preamp through the pedal this way as well.

2. I put my delay before the amp, not in the loop, and usually before overdrives and the like. This is purely personal preference, and it may not make as much of a difference with different amps and pedals, but I find that the effect is slightly less pronounced, and the repeats seem to clean up a bit as they hit the amp softer and softer. Again, super subtle, but I like it.

So if I had your rig, I'd do the following:

FX Loop: Tuner > Gate > Wah > Chorus > Delays > ODs > Amp (loop out) > EQ > Reverb > Loop In

No FX Loop: Tuner > Gate > Wah > Chorus > Delays > ODs > EQ > Reverb

As GuitarStv said, I may move the EQ depending on what I want from it, but that's probably how I'd set it all up to start.
                Originally posted by Rockstar216
                Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                  Why do you have your tuner in the loop? What kind of noise gate are you using? Is it like a NS-2 with a loop?

Other than that it looks fine, I kinda like analog chorus in front, but it's personal preference.
                  normally wouldnt have put the tuner in the loop, but the pitchblack is supposed to bypass when off. So dont figure it matters and its convenient where its at. noisegate is NS2
                  Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Why do you say it will sound quite a bit diff? being a wah pedal newb I dont know much about placement. Why is it better after the OD? cuz the sig going in is "juiced"?? Ill give it a try.. Thats why Im asking cuz I want to get the best performance out of them all. HOWEVER.... The way I built this board, its going to be a royal PITA if I have to move the wah.. (cuz of the pull out shelf I built for it.) And the wah has a knob on the side..

Jol Dantzig

Comment

With your loop chain the preamp and distortion pedals come before the time effects. With your non loop chain you've put you pedals after the time effects. Sticking dist after the time effects makes reverb sound crappy (doesn't sound right as it trails off), and makes delay sound less clean.

Wah after dist sounds stronger and cleaner, more wakka wakka. Dist before it sounds a little more subtle, more like the wah is just changing tone and less like an effect. I like before for some funk and reggae rhythm stuff and after for rock, metal, and most lead playing.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

If I am reading it right, it is almost exactly the opposite of what I do.
                        I always put the tuner at the end to mute noise from other pedals. I never put ODs in the loop, only time based effects. There are many ways to do things though. If you like it, cool.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          If I am reading it right, it is almost exactly the opposite of what I do.
                          I always put the tuner at the end to mute noise from other pedals. I never put ODs in the loop, only time based effects. There are many ways to do things though. If you like it, cool.
                          I run my OD pedals into the front. rarely use em with the splawn anyhow, but only in the front. (If this post was aimed at me, just clarifying) i use the EQ pedal if I need a boost with that amp..

But I will experiment with putting them before the wah.. Of course Im gonna like it, and be ticked that I have to redo the board again...haha
                          Last edited by BloodRose; 12-19-2015, 01:55 PM.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Pedal order ultimately comes down to preference.

The conventional way is tuner immediately after the guitar (because it gets the purest signal and therefore will give more accurate readings of your tuning); gain based effects (buy putting them in front of the amp they can be used to drive the amp's preamp harder. EQ typically can go anywhere but is commonly placed between the last dirt bloc and everything else. Wah typically after the tuner and before dirt boxes because it has the cleanest signal here, but can go after for a more dramatic effect. Some fuzz pedals, especially unruly vintage ones actually need to go before any other effect); modulation/time based effects (delay/reverb tend to sound better effecting the distorted signal than actually being distorted themselves. chorus, phase, flanger typically sound best here too... They can also go to the effect loop for the same reason, especially if using the amp's natural overdrive).

I've always used the above layout as a starting point and then experimented from there. I sometimes like my phaser before distortions and will sometimes put modulation effects after my delay (usually if running a stereo rig and having the effect present on only one side of the signal chain). I also sometimes put my clean boost in the effect loop so it bypasses the preamp and pushes the power tubes directly.
                            Last edited by ThisDyingSoul76; 12-19-2015, 07:44 PM. Reason: Adding more info

Comment

Originally posted by ThisDyingSoul76 View Post
                              Pedal order ultimately comes down to preference.

The conventional way is tuner immediately after the guitar (because it gets the purest signal and therefore will give more accurate readings of your tuning); gain based effects (buy putting them in front of the amp they can be used to drive the amp's preamp harder. EQ typically can go anywhere but is commonly placed between the last dirt bloc and everything else. Wah typically after the tuner and before dirt boxes because it has the cleanest signal here, but can go after for a more dramatic effect. Some fuzz pedals, especially unruly vintage ones actually need to go before any other effect); modulation/time based effects (delay/reverb tend to sound better effecting the distorted signal than actually being distorted themselves. chorus, phase, flanger typically sound best here too... They can also go to the effect loop for the same reason, especially if using the amp's natural overdrive).

I've always used the above layout as a starting point and then experimented from there. I sometimes like my phaser before distortions and will sometimes put modulation effects after my delay (usually if running a stereo rig and having the effect present on only one side of the signal chain). I also sometimes put my clean boost in the effect loop so it bypasses the preamp and pushes the power tubes directly.
                              yeah, thats why I have the tuner first, and also how things seem to fit together best. Id always gathered that it was best to run dirt pedals into the front, so whether Im running my board in 2 parts, or one chain, they go to the front.. And my color pedals run either the the loop or come before the distortion. So, sounds like my layout is pretty much on point with what you are saying.. The only real concern I have is if my Wah is in the best possible place in the chain. A previous post has me second guessing that...

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                              X