• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digitech Trio -- anyone use one?

Thoughts, opinions, threats?

Originally posted by nedcronin
    Pretty much what you suggested Ink.
    Originally posted by metalmachine
    dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Re: Digitech Trio -- anyone use one?

Friend of mine has one, and loves it. I prefer working with loops and Logic Drummer in my DAW at home for practice/writing, and with the drummer in my band for jamming.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

You prefer working with a *real, live drummer*?

What if your drummer gets drunk, arrested, kidnapped, killed or generally discouraged enough to quit your band?

Kidding, kidding. I wish your drummer long life and a clean record. Thanks ...

dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Comment

It's good to have a back up in case they spontaneously combust - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW6W9iOjTKM

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
          It's good to have a back up in case they spontaneously combust - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW6W9iOjTKM
          LOL!!!! Must be Spinal tap!! cant open youtube here at work...

Ive been curious about this pedal too. I need to play with a drummer to improve my timing and I know in the past, I always seemed to break out of the box alittle bit when playing with one. Figure this may be a good way to work on it without scheduling conflicts and such..
          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

This pedal sounds fine through the effects loop of my Fender Mustang III (v.1). No need (necessarily) for a mixer, powered speakers, full-frequency set up, etc.

But "teaching" the thing a rhythm part can be frustrating. I have trouble teaching it the "V" of a 12-bar blues. It like simple, cowboy chords held for a full bar or so.

I'm sure I'm the problem, but damn.

Oh well. I've only had it a week.

Comment

I have had one for about 2 months, and really really like it.

I have not yet had any difficulties teaching it anything, even with very complex jazz chords, but syncopated rhythms can be tough for it, and starting any measure with just the bass note of the chord is a no-no as well.

Best thing to do is to break the song you're writing or song you're teaching it down to where you strum the chord in an approximation of the rhythm using only on and off beats and nothing in between (no dotted 8ths, or smaller divisions). It is also very important to get that footswitch stomped on exactly the first beat of the next bar after you're done teaching it.

Once the chord progression is in there, you can tweak to your heart's content to change the feel, speed, and density of the backing track, but you do have to play the "learning" mode in a deliberately simplified manner to get things going. You certainly can just play cowboy chords, one per measure to get it in there, but it will not do as good of a job pre-selecting the right "feel" if you do it that way. You will instead have to surf through the available styles within the genre you have selected once you get the track going.

Beyond that, this is definitely one of the greatest practice tools yet invented for guitar...and lead guitar in particular. You can try multiple scales and modes over given chords or progressions to learn what does and doesn't work, and it helps you understand why. It can illustrate to you graphically what the difference is between playing an F# Blues Box over the top of a song that is all dominant 7ths, and playing modal mixolydian over each of the chords. You can then grow as a musician when you truly understand the sound you're going for and what methods to use for them. You can practice switching back and forth between different soloing methods mid song...and how to blend several different sounds in a way that sounds uniform. It can show you how different rhythm guitar styles work with or against the bass and drums...you can learn how to pull your comping back so the song is left open enough for leads to be heard, but still gets the chordal content out there...

I think one of these pedals should come with every electric guitar purchase! Amazing tool for pushing your guitar playing in whatever direction you're needing to work on, in the context of playing with other players.

I know a lot of people have bought them and thought "how lame...this is just a casio keyboard for guitarists" and in a way it is...but its how you use it that gives it value. Hopefully they (digitech) will start providing updates via the USB port that improves some of the sounds and makes things more realistic, instead of that "dippy at times" casio keyboard-esqu sound to the backing tracks...but some of them sound pretty good.

I route mine through a small bass practice amp (solid-state 20W) then use an A-B pedal to switch my guitar to my guitar amp once the backing track is going...things definitely sound pretty good this way. Not good enough to record an album, but good enough to do busking on the street corner I would say.
              Last edited by HighDeaf1080p; 01-06-2016, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X