banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between BUFFERED and True Bypass......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Difference between BUFFERED and True Bypass......

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
    One way to get around an effect that sounds great when ON but sucks the spice out of the signal when OFF would be to use a true bypass looper. Simple enough to diy with those.

If all pedals 'have' to be true bypass then getting low capacitance cables everywhere & avoiding gold plated plugs can help the signal from losing too much high end.

Then again, some of those true bypass switches themselves are tone suckers, while some buffers are poorly implemented giving rise to issues, so its not a very perfect world unless you start modifying deeply, including the amp which might be creating impedance mismatches in its loop.

Long story short, dozens of pedals out there, hard to audition all options but most will have atleast one legit review somewhere online, so narrowing down a few to check out helps to decide what works in your signal chain.
    I always thought that gold plated plugs was a good thing to have. I thought I read somewhere before that they helped with the signal conductance. (If that's even a word)
    sigpic"Praise HIM with the Strings" Psalms 150:4

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
      So??
      It is a detail of no real consequence!
      Loads of stuff alters the "tone"....
      Your mood, the room, the current....in other words loads of stuff.....why get obsessed with something as minor?
      You can still play...
      If not, then I guess details really matters, and life is very complicated....
      Because I'm funny that way ...

Comment

Good for you....now bypass your strings

Comment

I do that often enough with my sloppy pick hand.

Comment

fugeddabouddit
            Last edited by LLL; 03-23-2016, 10:37 PM.

Comment

i don't think there's anything more to add thanks to blueman and LLL, but still i can resume it onto some simple words and still advice guys taking a read onto the article LLL shared.

the function of a buffer is to replicate the input signal in low impedance, why would you want that?
              the higher the impedance the more it gets affected by cable capacitance, and passive pickups, even single coils, are very high on impedance, so whatever cable you plug, long or short, cheap or expensive will always affect the signal produced by high impedance pickups, even if it's a little, they will still affect the sound, how, most noticeably bleeding high end out of your sound, how you can correct this?, well a buffer or buffered pedal on the start of your board, can even be the first pedal, or installed in the guitar, this will turn your signal into low impedance and protect it from degrading so bad from long cable runs.

fine, so lets use all buffered pedals, well not so right, at some point since buffer is always on you will notice added noise (you can notice earlier with high gain settings) so let's not fill a board with buffers and buffered pedals.

nope, don't ditch your favorite true bypass pedals as tone suckers, you only need at least 1 buffer (or buffered pedal) earlier in you chain to assure your tone so your true bypass pedal can run nice without sucking tone

Comment

Originally posted by guitarSQUIRELL View Post
                I always thought that gold plated plugs was a good thing to have. I thought I read somewhere before that they helped with the signal conductance. (If that's even a word)
                Gold plating helps a bit with resistance but it's the cable's capacitance that causes the treble roll-off associated with longer cable runs.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                My Music

Comment

Working...
                X