Npd Vox Satchurator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Npd Vox Satchurator

Got this yesterday from a Pawn Shop for $70.

Wasn't overly crazy for it when I first got home. After a day or so of experimenting I LOVE IT!

It really comes down to putting in front if a cranked tube amp on the verge of breakup with lots of mids to balance out the scoop of the pedal. It's also pretty bright, but I found by turning the tone all the way down then slowly turning it up until it starts getting too bright and fizzy then backing off a hair it sounds great.

I find that of all the reviews and forum posts I've read of people disliking this pedal it was either because the amps/guitars they used just didn't react well with it or they just did't know how to use it. I looked at those posts and analyzed how people used it and found if you used gear with a mid focused tone like a Marshall or a guitar with very midrangy pickups you were ok. I'd say if you have a fender amp or something with a more scooped sound, try using a tubescreamer based pedal set cleanish with the level at unity or higher before it. I found it stacked with my Visual Sound Double Trouble really well this way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	5839416Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	5839416

Re: Npd Vox Satchurator

Nice!

I so woulda bought Trey's when he was selling,but I'm stupid f'n broke...

'Grats!
    "Scalloped & Stickered"
    A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

If you ever get one, the trick is to spend time with it and try without any expectations. If go into it expecting to magically sound like Satch, you'll be disappointed. Just go for a good sound and like I said, using gear that puts some emphasis on mids helps. Even Satriani uses this pedal primarily with amps and guitars that emphasize the mids.

One thing I notice a lot if people try with it too that it's just not intended to do, is use it as a boost. There's enough volume to reach unity and maybe get a slight boost but it's specifically designed to provide the dirt. Technically, if you're a player who rides the volume knob or uses a volume pedal, it doesn't matter anyway. It cleans up real well with the gain about 1/2 way up. You could get through a gig and never turn this pedal off.

I also understand its circuit is more or less a modified DS-1 based on the Japanese DS-1's Joe likes. It does have a bit of that grainy character, but it's a lot smoother and more natural sounding than a stock DS-1. Personally, I think it would be a mistake to dismiss it due to that comparison. I think you have to really try it and see if it's for you.

Comment

Great pedal and congrats on the purchase!

I sold mine to a forum bro, I mainly use single coils and couldn't dial it in with my Strat. It sounded awesome with my humbucker guitars though.

Enjoy!

Comment

I had one and liked it alot, it has that modded DS-1 tone. I got rid of it when I traded a ton of pedals in towards my EVH 5150 III amp

Comment

I don't find its great for my Strat either. But I primarily use humbuckers and have other pedals that work well with the Strat.

At lower volumes it definitely has that DS-1 vibe. Since Satriani is known to use them, I'm not surprised he had it based on that pedal. I even saw in interviews where he said he wanted that sound but since Japanese DS-1's are getting harder to find and the components used in them are no longer legal to use in certain countries (probably the big reason newer DS-1's sound so different) that he wanted a new pedal with the old sound, using parts that were plentiful and legal to sell. I suspect even back in the early days he was likely having his pedals modded too.

Comment

Working...
            X