• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tested my new pedal board config for 2016

Tested out my guitar gig-board for 2016 (I have a different one for bass):

Guitar signal passes through the Road Rage Rapid Fire
    Loop A is Bogner Uberschall > Bogner Harlow > MXR Micro Flange
    Loop B is Empress Heavy > strymon DECO

In Loop A with the guitar's volume rolled back I can get "clean" tone, i.e. on the edge of breakup. Wind up the volume and it pushes the amp into an ENGL-esque crunch tone. The Micro Flange is set so it is quite dark and adds just a hint of movement. Loop B is high gain. On its own it sounds very clinical and can be really bright/spiky. The DECO evens out the guitar remarkably well, darkening it and adding a nice squishy compression. I have the lag set to just before you hear a repeat and duck it under the main guitar sound. It sounds SUPER fat/thick now!
    Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 01-14-2016, 05:52 AM.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: Tested my new pedal board config for 2016

I was wondering if you were still using those high gain pedals. I assume you're running this into one of your little amps, yeah?

Comment

Depends on the gig, but pretty much, yes -- I usually use the Studio 2 as my basic tone and add another amplifier (usually a Lil Dawg Champster @ 5W) with an ABY pedal running at the same time. If I need more muscle, I use my Bumbox Cielo (30W). And if absolute mayhem is needed, I have the Dual Rec (100W) ...

I am not using the pedals for distortion per se, more for the colourations they bring and then I layer that saturation with another pedal, and then the amp itself. When it's all put together, the tone is really rich and harmonically complex, loud as all get-out, and has more than enough gain for my needs!

In fact, I used a variation on this setup for the next As Follows album.
      Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 01-14-2016, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Talk to me about that sexy looking DECO - how do you like it ?
        Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
          Talk to me about that sexy looking DECO - how do you like it ?
          I really like it!

It's part colour box, tone press, ADT, tape chorus, tape flange, boost, slapback, overdrive ... and is very convincing sounding. The ONLY thing I could think to add would be some way to switch tape speeds, but that is just me being nitpicky.

It adds a gentle compression and saturation familiar to anyone that has worked with tape.

And if you do a lot of digital recording, just run each track through the DECO for instant nonlinear colourations.

I will be Velcro'ing/George L'ing the board this weekend, this combination sounds fantastic.

I will be picking up another Nano I think to use as an aux board with some of my oft-used faves that are not here: echo, phase, and a couple of boosts. May make that the 'fx loop' board ...
          Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 01-14-2016, 07:22 AM.

Comment

The only thing wrong with this board is the alignment of the pedals...just a smidge ocd over here.
            TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
              The only thing wrong with this board is the alignment of the pedals...just a smidge ocd over here.
              Ha! Nothing is in place yet ... gotta get some more George L's cable and Velcro everything down.

My boards usually look like this:

Comment

I had nothing but faith in you. My current pedalboard needs a few velcro repairs...found my phaser flipped over on the other side last time i opened up the case...oops.
                TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                  I really like it!

It's part colour box, tone press, ADT, tape chorus, tape flange, boost, slapback, overdrive ... and is very convincing sounding. The ONLY thing I could think to add would be some way to switch tape speeds, but that is just me being nitpicky.

It adds a gentle compression and saturation familiar to anyone that has worked with tape.

And if you do a lot of digital recording, just run each track through the DECO for instant nonlinear colourations.

I will be Velcro'ing/George L'ing the board this weekend, this combination sounds fantastic.

I will be picking up another Nano I think to use as an aux board with some of my oft-used faves that are not here: echo, phase, and a couple of boosts. May make that the 'fx loop' board ...

Thats it - i am deff getting one now !

Thanks for the info !
                  Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

If I may, whats the story on the Harlow? (I mean, I know who makes it and who helped design it and all.. ) but how does it perform/add to your chain?
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

It's fantastic.
                      The transformer adds some great colouration without going totally euphonic.
                      The compressor is quite squishy and reminds me of an 1176 very much.
                      The tone control is useful across its entire travel adding a low or high shelf EQ but never sacrificing the mids.
                      It also has a huge amount of boost on tap.

Comment

thanks for the breakdown!
                        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Was able to do final configuration and testing of the pedal board today. The layout of the Rapid Fire makes it VERY difficult to place on a pedal board; not sure why they went with that configuration, to be honest. I may get something more upscale next year if I see the need. I used to rock dual Lehle D.Loops, which are amazing, but would like something that can do 8 loops, I think.

Anyway -- ended up adding in the Heavy Electronics Descend. In my opinion, this does a better job at cleaning up a single channel, high gain signal than the volume on my guitar; plus, I prefer to hit a switch over fiddling with the volume knob when playing.

The final signal chain is:
                          GUITAR > DESCEND (master guitar volume) > ROAD RAGE

LOOP A > Bogner Ubershcall > Bogner Harlow
                          LOOP B > Empress Heavy > strymon DECO

ROAD RAGE > MXR micro flange > AMP

I am also running a 1776 Multiplex through the effects loop of the amp (if the amp I am using has one).

Comment

Working...
                          X