banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap, but good, Reliable, pedal power.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap, but good, Reliable, pedal power.....

I have been looking at the One Spot daisy chain power adapter kit and was wondering if it is reliable, clean, and quiet power to power the pedals that I currently have now....What can you tell me about it?
    sigpic"Praise HIM with the Strings" Psalms 150:4

Re: Cheap, but good, Reliable, pedal power.....

its functional and cheap and will work fine as long as you dont abuse it

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      its functional and cheap and will work fine as long as you dont abuse it
      It can handle up to 1700 mA..Im only running 4-5 pedals at the most as of right now.

Comment

Not isolated quiet but it's probably quiet enough unless/until you have a picky pedal that wants it's own isolated supply. In other words, it's a little bit of a crap shoot. If you don't have the money to spend $100 or more for an isolated supply (or don't want to) then give it a try. Buy from amazon or some place that will take it back, no hassle, if it's noisy in your chain. I've read some complaints about noisy or bad units out of the box and units that crap out in short order. But, who knows how the reviewers are using them, they could be overloading them or have a pedal in the chain that doesn't like to share. The One Spot is kind of "famous" as an inexpensive option so a lot of people have used them without issue.

How many pedals do you have? Something like the T-Rex Fuel Tank Junior is the least expensive, isolated supply that I know of. It supplies 5 isolated 9Vdc outlets for around 100 bucks. Each outlet can supply 120ma so you can daisy chain off of the outlets up to that current draw if you have more pedals than 5. The daisy chaining wont be isolated so you just pick pedals for the daisy chain that aren't noisy when sharing a supply. You just have to stay below the total 120ma per outlet. Downside is that something like the T-Rex Jr. only supplies for 9v pedals and there will be some digital pedals out there that draw more than 120 ma.

The price goes up from there for isolated supplies with more outlets, different voltage options and more current capacity. I've been using one of the newer One Spot Pro supplies. It's been as quiet as the Voodoo Labs and no problems so far. They start at about $120 bucks though.

Comment

Worst comes to worst, you've got a high current 9V power supply.

You may have an issue with a digital pedal in the daisy chain, if that happens you can buy another 9V supply for that single pedal.

What are the pedals you are planning on powering with the one-spot?
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

+1 on the Trex Fuel Tank Junior, I've had mine on my band pedalboard for about 5 years now and its never let me down. Clean reliable power, and as I don't use many pedals (tuner, decimator and a tubescreamer) its perfect for me. Its the lowest price of the Trex power supply range I think and is compact to fit nicely on your pedalboard. I bought a second one a couple of years back as a spare.

I used to use the Diago Micropower which was good but the connection shielding part near the block was a bit brittle and broke several times. Daisy-chained off that though when it wasn't breaking and it was pretty good. Didn't cost much either.

But now I won't scrimp or cut corners with power supplies, get the best you can afford!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              Worst comes to worst, you've got a high current 9V power supply.

You may have an issue with a digital pedal in the daisy chain, if that happens you can buy another 9V supply for that single pedal.

What are the pedals you are planning on powering with the one-spot?
              The pedals are a
              Behringer Tube Overdrive
              Mad Professor Golden Cello
              Boss DS-1
              TC DreamScape
              Boss DD-3 Delay

later on looking at a TC Hall of Fame and TC Flashback..
              Oh and a tuner

Comment

You might have issues with the DD-3 and Dreamscape, but you won't know until you introduce it into your rig. It may be perfect. The more you daisy chain, the more risk is introduced.

I understand though, buying a power supply is like buying tires. Spending money on "nothing"! It's always more fun to buy toys you can play with.

For what it's worth, I use:
                Pedal Power 4X4 for big board
                Fuel Tank Chameleon for small board
                One Spot equivalent with a daisy chain for temporary pedals before or after the boards
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                  You might have issues with the DD-3 and Dreamscape, but you won't know until you introduce it into your rig. It may be perfect. The more you daisy chain, the more risk is introduced.

I understand though, buying a power supply is like buying tires. Spending money on "nothing"! It's always more fun to buy toys you can play with.

For what it's worth, I use:
                  Pedal Power 4X4 for big board
                  Fuel Tank Chameleon for small board
                  One Spot equivalent with a daisy chain for temporary pedals before or after the boards
                  Worst comes to worse, I have 9 Volt batteries EVERYWHERE....

Comment

You can get a decent iso unit on Amazon for $39 I picked one up for my little board it works great. I also have a OneSpot and never had a problem or bleed with it.

I picked this one up for $21

Comment

I have a Joyo. It works fine.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
                      Originally posted by Securb
                      The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                        You can get a decent iso unit on Amazon for $39 I picked one up for my little board it works great. I also have a OneSpot and never had a problem or bleed with it.

I picked this one up for $21

http://www.amazon.com/Andoer-Guitar-...+supply+guitar

I never thought of that. Those look like they are decent quaility and I like the blue LED

Comment

I have one of the Donner units from the first link with the blue lights. I used it to clean up the fuster cluck I had under my board. so far, so good. Has one 18v port, the rest are 9s. the thing weighs only ounces. My only compliant is that the power chord for is it short. A peeve really. just means I cant really plug it into an outlet. have to run an extension chord to it.

Replaced this:

With this:

Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I have the Joyo iso supply and have the same complain about the length of the power cord. I take a surge protector with a 12 foot cord to my gigs mostly just for that (we usually end up using it for the other guitarists board too, since he uses a 1 Spot).

I've been really interested in those 1 Spot Pro power supplies. I may end up getting one at some point, but the Joyo works great, so I'm in no rush to replace it.
                            Go Packers!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt42 View Post
                              I have the Joyo iso supply and have the same complain about the length of the power cord. I take a surge protector with a 12 foot cord to my gigs mostly just for that (we usually end up using it for the other guitarists board too, since he uses a 1 Spot).

I've been really interested in those 1 Spot Pro power supplies. I may end up getting one at some point, but the Joyo works great, so I'm in no rush to replace it.
                              Needless to say, I'm looking at both the JOYO and the other that securb mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                              X