Clear All

• EQ Pre or Post Dirt Boxes

?
    "Scalloped & Stickered"
    A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Re: EQ Pre or Post Dirt Boxes

I believe you get a more dramatic effect post-dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Lampy H View Post
      I believe you get a more dramatic effect post-dirt.
      I totally agree with Lampy but try both see what works for you.

Comment

EQ before if you want it to act like a clean boost that only affects certain frequencies.

EQ after if you want to actually shape the overall EQ.

Comment

Yep, after acts like every graphic EQ you've ever used on a stereo, but before let's you change the character of the drive.

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Post usually makes the most difference.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              Yep, after acts like every graphic EQ you've ever used on a stereo, but before let's you change the character of the drive.

There is no correct answer, it depends on what you want the EQ to do. For example if I were using a Big Muff type fuzz, I'd put a mid-boost EQ in front of the fuzz and kick it on for leads to actually be heard which is how David Gilmour uses his Chandler Tube Drivers. OTOH the secret to Metallica's Mark series tone is to boost the mids really high using the pre-gain tone controls and then scoop very specific bands post-gain to tighten the sound and eliminate mud.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Last edited by LLL; 03-23-2016, 10:32 PM.

Comment

One before to put a clean signal in, one after to shape the distortion.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                  @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
                    One before to put a clean signal in, one after to shape the distortion.
                    Great idea.

What EQ pedals should one try? The Boss is an industry standard, does the small MXR have enough bands?
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Boss has 7, MXR has 6 (or 10 if you go that route). Rhoads used the 10.

For that matter, one could have an array of EQ pedals, one for slamming the front, and the others for various specialized tailoring.
                      Originally posted by Brown Note
                      I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                      My Blog

Comment

For me, post and in the effects loop if possible.

I have a stock MXR 10 band which I love. I also have a Monte Alums mod GE7 for my other amp. I use both in the loop, usually to scoop mids out a bit and shake the house when I'm going for that =D.
                        Last edited by Jeff5; 01-20-2016, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
                          Boss has 7, MXR has 6 (or 10 if you go that route). Rhoads used the 10.

For that matter, one could have an array of EQ pedals, one for slamming the front, and the others for various specialized tailoring.
                          That's a great point. I've used multiple EQ boxes to essentially give me several different channels on the same amp. I used to love experimenting to see what I could do to get the tones I heard in my head without spending a fortune.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                            For even more fun, try an EQ as a dirt box. Punish the amp's input whilst tailoring the frequencies!

MXR 6-band is great for this with its +/- 18dB sliders.
                            Agreed. Try the EQ as your boost.

Personally dirt in front and EQ in the loop if possible. If not EQ after dirt box.
                            TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

The one I have access to is a Boss Bass EQ.

Trying to fill up some bottom in my Valvestate Combo(VS 100).

I know my Rocktron pre-amps have a pre-gain EQ stage,mostly for lows & mids.Pretty sure the Austin Gold OD has/had something similar.Not using it for any boost or anything dramatic,just a little shaping.Have Dist & Boost already on the floor.

Was thinking "pre",but mebbe in teh loop.Don't want to add any more noise.

Just gotta find time/place to drag it all out & dick w/ it,I guess...

Thanx!!!
                              "Scalloped & Stickered"
                              A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Working...
                              X