Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best overdrive with a strat

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Ritchie is awesome. I'd like that reel-to-reel preamp in a pedal.
    There is the BSM RPA Treble Booster series, which were designed supposed to give you the sound of the AIWA in combination with the HS Treble Booster (or the treble boost mod on his Marshall Major).

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
      They're not Strats

So every LP with different PU's (P-90, mini-HB) isn't an LP? I wish someone would tell Gibson.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
        So every LP with different PU's (P-90, mini-HB) isn't an LP? I wish someone would tell Gibson.
        That isn't the point, the point is no one looks good picking on crusty. You guys needn't be this dead serious, this is a guitar forum not tax office :P

On top of that, there are the original fifties, sixties strats and there are imitations.

Comment

Originally posted by vinta9e View Post
          That isn't the point, the point is no one looks good picking on crusty. You guys needn't be this dead serious, this is a guitar forum not tax office :P

On top of that, there are the original fifties, sixties strats and there are imitations.
          Slight correction, Crusty was the one who started the picking and he made a statement that FMIC proves is incorrect.

His statement is like trying to say a square is not a rectangle. Rectangles have 4 sides and therefore a square is indeed a rectangle. Fender's page for Stratocasters contain many different variations of the Strat body and neck–different colors, pickups combos, bridges, etc...but they are all Strats.

Comment

Trapezoids, deltoids, rhombi have four sides too. You are right but who cares? There is nothing to win at the end of this argument anyway. Except getting blueman all wound up about strats, that is.

Comment

Trapezoids, deltoids, rhombi have four sides too. You are right but who cares? There is nothing to win at the end of this argument anyway. Except getting blueman all wound up about strats, that is.
              Dude, no one is getting upset–Crusty made an incorrect statement and Blueman replied with the same argument I did only with Les Pauls instead of Strats.

This is a forum which involves discussion. If Crusty said the Dimebucker was a low output pickup should everyone just say nothing? Am I picking on Crusty by saying the Dimebucker is a high output pickup?

Comment

Nevermind amigo, we won't come to an agreement as long as we're in different spaces.

Now what was the topic about, overdriving strats? I'll have a cranked Soldano, please.

Comment

Now what was the topic about, overdriving strats? I'll have a cranked Soldano, please.
                  I change my previous answer, my new Sky Blue Overdrive just replaced my Golden Cello as my favorite overdrive pedal for a Strat.

Comment

I'm never completely happy with just one OD. because I want a clear presence/bite for crunchy rhythm, and warm and compressed tone for leads. A tandem always works for me; this one: TS > RAT (or OCD or Open Road). If in one box, then VS-XO.

Comment

I've never been a big fan of solid-state drive boxes. Most of them sound very noisy and un-natural to me. For me, the overdrive in my Mesas is so seductive, I'm spoiled when it comes to pedals. The one pedal I do have on my board is a Real Tube 901with a 12AU7, and that's about as close as I can come to the Mesa lead channel. Even then I rarely use it; I have it set for more of a scooped tone, and use the Mesa EQ to boost the mids slightly for my G&L Legacys.

I like the Mesa Flux Drive, but I like my amps better. I like the Carl Martin Plexi-Tone, and I'd like to try their new Low Gain Plexi. I was looking at the Wampler Plexi-drive, the Tweed and a couple of others but came away disappointed.

I'd love to find something that would do the Mark V clean channel's TWEED setting. That's a great crunch tone without being too saturated.

Bill
                      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                        I've never been a big fan of solid-state drive boxes. Most of them sound very noisy and un-natural to me. For me, the overdrive in my Mesas is so seductive, I'm spoiled when it comes to pedals. The one pedal I do have on my board is a Real Tube 901with a 12AU7, and that's about as close as I can come to the Mesa lead channel. Even then I rarely use it; I have it set for more of a scooped tone, and use the Mesa EQ to boost the mids slightly for my G&L Legacys.

I like the Mesa Flux Drive, but I like my amps better. I like the Carl Martin Plexi-Tone, and I'd like to try their new Low Gain Plexi. I was looking at the Wampler Plexi-drive, the Tweed and a couple of others but came away disappointed.

I'd love to find something that would do the Mark V clean channel's TWEED setting. That's a great crunch tone without being too saturated.

Bill
                        That is a good point, pedals with tubes are the best tone actually. I use my PlimSoul into the clean channel of my AMT SS-20 (tube based preamp in pedal size) just because some times I tweak the EQ for the Lead Channel, but when not playing metal the chrunch channel of the SS-20 sounds better, not day-nigth but it feels better.
                        Who took my guitar?

Comment

I get beautiful overdrive using a Kent Armstrong Grinder in the bridge position playing through a Fender Champ red knob tube amp. I haven't found a pedal yet that can get sound of an overdriven tube amp.
                          Last edited by leevc5; 02-21-2016, 12:34 PM.

Comment

MoJoMojo Overdrive by Tc Electronics works well has some compression. But majority of time I use my MXR 6 band EQ.
                            If learning isn't difficult at times you're not learning.

RocknRoll will never die ( I wont let it! )

Comment

I haven't had it for very long, but I really, really like the Way Huge Green Rhino. The controls seem more dynamic than a TS-9, plus the bass and mid controls really let you fine tune things. I haven't spent much time using my LP with it, but I found several settings that sound great with both my Tele and Strat into a Silverface Super Reverb.
                              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                              X