Need a pedal suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a pedal suggestion

Hey guys I currently have a carvin x100b and I love it, but sometime if I want to get that more modern distortion is not capable on its own. Could someone suggest a pedal just to get me there? I was wondering if it would be best to use the amps gain stage and add a pedal to just boost it, or stay on the clean channel and use a distortion pedal.

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk

Re: Need a pedal suggestion

Originally posted by jackson111 View Post
    Hey guys I currently have a carvin x100b and I love it, but sometime if I want to get that more modern distortion is not capable on its own. Could someone suggest a pedal just to get me there? I was wondering if it would be best to use the amps gain stage and add a pedal to just boost it, or stay on the clean channel and use a distortion pedal.

Could you by chance upload a soundclip of your current rig?

Also, what do you mean by modern? Is there a clip you can show/artist you want to sound like?

Comment

It's hard to go wrong with a Boss SD-1 pushing the gain stage, it's worked for tons of players from John 5 to Vai to Wylde to ... And don't worry about looking for an old MIJ one, unlike the DS-1, that circuit hasn't changed.

Comment

I have a combo version that I run through a half stack cab. I prefer using a distortion pedal into the clean channel.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm at work right now but I have a few sound clips I can upload at home. As far as describing it, it's close to kings x type of gain level. But if I wanted dream theater type of gain I get close just need that tiny bit more to push it. As far as the sd1 I had thought of that but didn't know how it would sound. I tried a friends ds1 and it was to much unless I turned down the amps gain then it kinda sounded similar to what I had to begin with. Will the sd1 boost the gain without making it uncontrollable with feed back?

Comment

Originally posted by jackson111 View Post
            it's close to kings x type of gain level.
            I could be mistaken but I'm 99% sure that a ton of Kings X songs were recorded/played at a lower tuning. I also think the dude used multiple amps to achieve his tone, not a single brand type of guy.

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
              I could be mistaken but I'm 99% sure that a ton of Kings X songs were recorded/played at a lower tuning. I also think the dude used multiple amps to achieve his tone, not a single brand type of guy.
              There are also two distinct eras here:

Here's the first result that came up in a search. Gain is fairly tame, on the border between "crunch" and true "dirt", any true distortion pedal would eat that tone for breakfast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2SYPzKzD94

Here's something a bit more metal-y from the group which I think is closer to what the OP had in mind by his statement, but still any pedal calling itself a dirt pedal had better be capable of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nDxpgqEZsU

Really, both are more a "hard rock" distortion IMO, with the first video a little more classic and bluesy while the second is a little more modern (mainly an EQ thing), but neither are anywhere near "modern metal" as I'd define the term:

Comment

ok sorry it took so long but here is a link to sound cloud with a few clips I did when I first got the x100b. the recordings are perfect but it was recorded using my guitar trainer and the on board condenser mics https://soundcloud.com/shaggyrun-1/kings-x-love-tone

Comment

Vai also uses a DS-1 to push his Legacys, just need to turn the gain/distortion down and the output up, run the tone below noon.

Comment

Working...
                  X