Way Huge Green Rhino

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way Huge Green Rhino

I'm looking for an OD pedal to warm up my SF Super Reverb, and obviously get some more gain at home-friendly volume. Gearjoneser recommended the Green Rhino, and after watching a few demos, it seems like exactly what I'm looking for. One video I watched was a Strat into a Vibrolux, and the guy couldn't get a bad sound out of it. He switched to a LP style and it was awesome, too.

Is there anything that would be better in the sub-$100 used range? Aside from owning a TS-9 that I never used 10 or 15 years ago, I have zero experience with OD/boost pedals.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Way Huge Green Rhino

The Tube Screamer mid hump works so perfectly with the Fender tone stack. Green Rhino would be a great choice. I use the Full Drive 2 now. Duncan's 805 would be a nice choice, I also like the Wampler Clarksdale. But really, almost every company has a Tube Screamer style pedal.

I believe there's a new version of the Green Rhino that subs the mid contour control for a straight 500Hz control.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

A small builder, Red House (RHE) makes a Mint Drive. This pedal runs $139 and is worth every penny. Super low noise floor and a great dynamic range.

Celebrating Native American culture while inspiring creativity in musicians.

Comment

There's a couple reasons I like the Green Rhino with blackface/silverface Fenders.
        First, the Green Rhino has great control over every aspect of the sound, especially the fatness aka 100hZ knob, so your effected sound isn't skinnier than the straight signal.

Also, the Green Rhino has just the right amount of compression, so it sounds more like your power tubes being turned up, and also gives you perfect sustain. A drier pedal may give your amp more crunch, but doesn't sustain quite as well.

If someone were asking for a pedal for an already gainy amp, I'd suggest something different, just because the GR may be too bloated, compressed, and sustaining for that purpose.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I've got a line on one for a great deal thanks to someone on here. After watching a bunch of more demos, I can't wait to get it. Thanks again for the recommendation, GJ.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

So many flavors of Screamer these days. Might I suggest either of these from Ibanez:

The TS9DX with 4 modes, more bass, hotter, etc…

Also from Ibanez - SD9M; the Sonic Distortion Modded. Way cooler than a screamer IMO….
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

CAn't forget Bad Monkey, or a BD-2 from Boss with a Keeley mod!
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Its not cheap but i prefer the xotic AC over the rhino.

However, for cheap thrills and fat tones into a clean fender, the nobels odr-1 is an often overlooked tone monster.
                "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                  I've got a line on one for a great deal thanks to someone on here. After watching a bunch of more demos, I can't wait to get it. Thanks again for the recommendation, GJ.
                  I think you'll dig that OD pedal. The original Way Huge pedals from the early 90's would be a thing of folklore and super expensive if Dunlop hadn't reissued them. That means you're essentially getting a $500+ pedal for $100.

It doubles as a pedalboard light......the blue LED is like a car's headlight!
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I think Agile Guy has one of those for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                      I think Agile Guy has one of those for sale.
                      Thanks, that's the one I'm buying.

Comment

So, here I am, Green Rhino in hand... At work, unable to try it out for another 6 hours or so.

The rest of the day is going to DRAG.

Comment

Man, it seems like you are getting sick? You should probably go home early.
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                            Man, it seems like you are getting sick? You should probably go home early.
                            And it would be a shame if that sickness carried through tomorrow.
                            Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                            Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                            Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                            Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                            Line 6 Helix
                            Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

^ I'm the boss, so I could get away with it...

I got to spend a few minutes with the GR into the Super. It sounds great with my Strat and the new Tele. The bass and mid controls really let you fine tune the sound, on top of the rest of the extremely responsive controls. This thing has way more volume boost than I was expecting. I usually wait for the family to step out to crank up the amp, but I may have to drag it out into the garage.

Comment

Working...
                              X