Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cry baby Classic vs?

Update?

Have you checked out the Fulltone Standard? Probably exactly what you're looking for.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

grabbed a cry baby classic from the long and mcquade inventory blowout for dirt cheap. took a little tweaking the height of the switch to get a nice smooth stomp and adjusting the pot but got it in that sweet spot like my old one.

wah on sounds essentially the same which is fine i liked the sweep of my old wah. adjusted a/b'ing with the old one, brought it back just a hair on the treble end to tame the spike a bit.

wah off signal sounds much healthier stronger and fuller.

Comment

Originally posted by Axeman16 View Post
        grabbed a cry baby classic from the long and mcquade inventory blowout for dirt cheap. took a little tweaking the height of the switch to get a nice smooth stomp and adjusting the pot but got it in that sweet spot like my old one.

wah on sounds essentially the same which is fine i liked the sweep of my old wah. adjusted a/b'ing with the old one, brought it back just a hair on the treble end to tame the spike a bit.

wah off signal sounds much healthier stronger and fuller.

Other than solving the true bypass issue, it doesn't seem like you got the 1960's wah tones you wanted. 95F's don't sound particularly vintage.
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

between the options ive narrowed down to the answer is there somewhere.

I should mention i dont dislike my original crybaby. it does what its supposed to and i like that. but that being said what i dont like about it is when all the way back on the bass side gets flubbery sounding and full on treble is too spikey. i know i can adjust the rack rotating the wah to remedy this but i cant be bothered since im gonna replace it soon anyways.

Based on what I read, I was going to say "Just get the Crybaby Classic" and be done with it.

And I see you did…..

Now - a couple of other points:

You are getting a lot of push-back because based on your original post, a Crybaby is not the right answer! What I read says you REALLY want a Vox with True bypass. But that was not an option. And - as the owner of a Thomas Organ company Stereo Wah Fuzz Volume, which is pretty friction' Vintage - yeah, the classic is NOT that sound.

Also, based the highlighted section above, a 535Q will take care of that perfectly. Set where you want, and forget. Whatever makes you happy.

As for the inductor issue - I realize guys with dog ears care about this stuff, and it can make a difference (especially in a non-adjustable Wah). But - the really easy way around it is an adjustable.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            As for the inductor issue - I realize guys with dog ears care about this stuff, and it can make a difference (especially in a non-adjustable Wah). But - the really easy way around it is an adjustable.
            Mike (XSSIVE) has done a wide range of wah mods and has some good posts on the topic. He likens inductor changes to string changes on a guitar. Differences, but not night/day. Changing the sweep cap and Q & Bias resistors are more like Pickup changes. Basically the 535Q, MC404, Teese RMC-3, Xotic Wah, etc. all take the typical "mods" and put them on externally adjustable pots and selector switches.

I understand the OP's desire to find the perfect wah rather than fiddling with an adjustable one, but I really do like being able to tune it to my pickups, OD/Fuzz and Amp!

Axeman16, enjoy your new wah!
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

well yes i did see the vox and it looks quite nice, anything nice comes with a price tag. the crybaby classic was pennies at a cleanance sale so im happy with.

what i end up with is the wah that seemed to suit my needs the best without spending much at all, and i now have an original crybaby to gut and handwire to vintage spec

Comment

Cool - I am all about Price/Performance. Fiddy bucks for a Weeping Demon….adjustable, you know!
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

well yes i did see the vox and it looks quite nice, anything nice comes with a price tag. the crybaby classic was pennies at a cleanance sale so im happy with.

what i end up with is the wah that seemed to suit my needs the best without spending much at all, and i now have an original crybaby to gut and handwire to vintage spec

Redoing your first wah is a great way to get what you want. There's nice replacement boards, or whole kits available. Some of those guys are wizards at this stuff.

It seems you're happiest with the price of the Classic, more than getting the different tones you were looking for. You can mod or replace that board too...

Comment

the initial purpose was to have the true bypass to complete my board as the original wah was the starting point, so mission accomplished.

where could i find some of these replacement boards and kits?

Comment

where could i find some of these replacement boards and kits?

Do an online search for wah kits. They're typically made for either Dunlop Crybaby or Vox 847 configurations (Dunlops have board-mounted jacks, Vox don't). You can swap out just the circuit board, or replace all the internals (with a prewired board, pot, & switch) which will be true bypass (some come with optional LED's). Joe Gagan (one of the wah wizards) sells several different kits on eBay; ask him which would be the best for what you want.

Comment

Working...
                      X