Wah Pot Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wah Pot Advice

I'm planning on replacing the original pot in my Vox V848 Clyde McCoy reissue--it's become scratchy, and I'm having to use contact cleaner with increasing regularity. The 3 I'm considering are the following: Fulltone Wah Pot, Chase Tone Tru iCar, and CTS McCon-O-Pot 2. I do want it to have the vintage vibe, and not be completely different than the stock---just better quality, which any of these probably are. The CTS seems to be designed to sound more linear, based on the description and wave shape. I'm guessing it has a more gradual transition from mids to treble, for better or for worse. If anyone has tried these, especially if you've compared them, I would appreciate your opinions.

I've done some mods to make my V848 sound more authentic--changed Q1 & Q2 transistors to BC109B's (around 350 hfe), and changed the Q1 base ("mids") resistor from 1.5K to 2K. I also changed the "Q" resistor from the stock 100K to 68K, and then back---my preferences keep changing on that, and I'll probably wait until the pot replacement before making any more changes. I've also considered lowering the Q1 emitter resistor value, but it's already 390 ohms stock, probably to compensate for the true bypass. I'm not sure if lowering it to 330 ohms would make that much difference. Then again, I like what the mids resistor mod sounded like, but don't want the pedal to become TOO bass-heavy in the heel-back position. Besides the paragraph above, any thoughts on this last issue?
    Last edited by mflemmer2; 02-08-2016, 05:13 PM.

Re: Wah Pot Advice

Whatever one you get, avoid spraying contact cleaner in it, especially WD40. I've had better results with getting a pot to function again for longer by opening it up & cleaning the surface & the wipers gently with soft tissue paper. Most effective when they first start showing signs of wear & no contact cleaner has been sprayed in there yet. I've even tried light machine oil, the results were great for a day but started disappearing quickly after that. Anyways, hope a new pot gets delivered & the wah is back to work.

Comment

Re: Wah Pot Advice

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
      Whatever one you get, avoid spraying contact cleaner in it, especially WD40. I've had better results with getting a pot to function again for longer by opening it up & cleaning the surface & the wipers gently with soft tissue paper. Most effective when they first start showing signs of wear & no contact cleaner has been sprayed in there yet. I've even tried light machine oil, the results were great for a day but started disappearing quickly after that. Anyways, hope a new pot gets delivered & the wah is back to work.
      I decided on the Chase Tone Tru iCar, which is a sealed pot (as is the CTS McCon-O-Pot II). I'm also getting a Whipple halo repro inductor.

Comment

Working...
      X