Cable Length ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable Length ?

What are you guys/gals using for cable length?
    I'm going to make some new cables and get rid of a bunch of old, questionable ones.
    I was thinking 10' to 20' from guitar to peddle board, 10' from board to amp, 12' (as apposed to 10' due to FX out/in on back of amp) from amp FX loop out to board, and 12' from board back to amp FX loop in.
    Does this sound reasonable? Any ideas, thoughts?
    Thanks, John
    Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
    If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Re: Cable Length ?

My first thought is, "Where are you playing?". Most of the stages and rooms I play in are pretty small, and a 20' cable is far too long. OTOH I find 10' too short, so I'd go for 12-15' from guitar to board. Your idea of using FX send / returns 2' longer than your board to amp cable sounds good, but it's hard to come up with a good number without knowing how much room you have.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I make mine to 15 feet. 10 is too short for stage.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
        My first thought is, "Where are you playing?". Most of the stages and rooms I play in are pretty small, and a 20' cable is far too long.

+1. In lot of bars, you're lucky if the whole stage is 20' across, some are 10'. Add amps, a drum set, and a few other players, and you're not able to mosey all around the stage.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I have a ten footer from the tuner to the amp, and another ten footer from the tuner to my guitar or bass. I don't like long cables, but having the tuner at the halfway point makes the 20 feet of cable much more manageable. It gives you the "neatness" advantage of a short cable, but without the disadvantage of being tied to standing within a few feet of the amp.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I use 10 ft between guitar & board & back to amp, for the loop i find 15ft to 20ft to be sufficient.

Anyone have or tried the pedalsnake? https://www.pedalsnake.com

A neater & less bulky cable setup to have around live, would be great to know its long lasting.

Comment

I use an 18ft cable from the last pedal in my board to the amp, suitable for medium sized stages, and I also have footswitch cable going into the back as well. I use a Line 6 wireless so there's 200ft of range between guitar and receiver haha. But I set the cable emulator range on the receiver to about 15ft cos it tames a bit of brightness. I'm quite active when moving around on stage so the less clutter and wiring there is to step over the better!

Comment

I have purchased enough cables and connectors to assemble (1) 6', (1) 10', (1) 12' and (1) 15' cables. Some combination of two of those will take my guitar to board and the board to amp anywhere I expect to play in the near future. For convenience I like them to be a short as I can comfortably get by with.

Random cables all over the stage drive me insane. When I played in a church I'd show up 45 minutes before the singers and the rest of the musicians so I'd have time to untangle all snakes on the platform and lay them out more neatly. Oddly, the worst offender was the soundman.
                I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Alright lets see if I can get this in the proper post...... LOL
                  Thanks for all the responses everyone, it is much appreciated.
                  Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
                  If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

I use a 12' between guitar and board, and 15' between board and amp. The delays are patched into the fx loop of my Mesa amps using 18'-6" Road Hog cables from Guitar Center. I also always carry a few extra cables. I have one identical backup set, and some longer ones if I need them.

Bill
                    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post

Anyone have or tried the pedalsnake? https://www.pedalsnake.com

Nobody?
                      I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Two ten footers. One from guitar into my effects, then one from effects to amp.

Comment

I use 2 12's normally, but always have a big 30' for the festival stages. Haven't yet taken the plunge on a wireless system yet. I love the idea of the Pedalsnake, too. I do change my configuration often, so I wonder if I would be stuck with something that wouldn't work for me over the long haul.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

i have a 30' surf green coily bullet cable that i use if im going straight in. i use two 12' cables if im running pedals on a normal stage. i have longer cables for festival stages if i need them. 10' is nice sometimes when its a small setup but if i was only going to have a few cables 12-15 feet is a better size

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                              I make mine to 15 feet. 10 is too short for stage.
                              Depends on how your rig is configured on stage, and which run you're talking about. Pedal board/effects loops could very easily do with a 10 foot run (or shorter) between board and amp or even board and player, depending on the relative positioning of player, board and amp.

Comment

Working...
                              X