banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about using some of my tax return on a new Power Supply, opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about using some of my tax return on a new Power Supply, opinions?

I've been using one of the Joyo isolated power supplies for a couple of years now. It is okay, and does the job decently, but the power cord is ridiculously short and prone to falling out of both the wall and the unit (it's a wall wart adapter, not a 3 prong plug). I think it's time it was retired.

I tend to run a large board, usually 8+ pedals, sometimes up to 10 depending on my mood and the situation, so I want a large one. I had been eyeballing the VL Mondo, but that's a steep price tag. I've recently been looking at the One Spot Pro 12. Seems like a great deal at $179.99 new.

At the moment all my pedals are pretty much low draw over drives and analog delays, I don't have anything digital on my board. However, I do want the option to add some in the future, as I may eventually cave and get a Strymon El Cap or Flint (or both).

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Matt42; 02-17-2016, 02:34 AM.
    Go Packers!

Re: Thinking about using some of my tax return on a new Power Supply, opinions?

i have a voodoo power iso 5 which is fantastic. i believe they have a larger version that would accommodate your board size

Comment

Originally posted by Matt42 View Post
      I've been using one of the Joyo isolated power supplies for a couple of years now. It is okay, and does the job decently, but the power cord is ridiculously short and prone to falling out of both the wall and the unit (it's a wall wart adapter, not a 3 prong plug). I think it's time it was retired.

I tend to run a large board, usually 8+ pedals, sometimes up to 10 depending on my mood and the situation, so I want a large one. I had been eyeballing the VL Mondo, but that's a steep price tag. I've recently been looking at the One Spot Pro 12. Seems like a great deal at $179.99 new.

At the moment all my pedals are pretty much low draw over drives and analog delays, I don't have anything digital on my board. However, I do want the option to add some in the future, as I may eventually cave and get a Strymon El Cap or Flint (or both).

Thoughts?
      I have a One Spot Pro 12. On my board, it's every bit as quiet as the Voodoo Labs supplies. Be aware, it is a switching supply but whatever Truetone has done with isolation and filtering seems to have worked. I do not have many digital pedals so I cant vouch for how it performs with several pedals on board that may be finicky about supplies. But it has been quiet with the pedal configurations that I've tried. The supply will also handle more current than the rating of each output, as long as the total rating of adding up all the outputs of the entire supply is not exceeded. Comes with mounting brackets (that don't block the vents) for Pedaltrain boards

You may also want to check out the Decibel Eleven Hot Stone Deluxe. A couple less outlets (10 total I think), about the same price as the Truetone.

I sound like a friggin salesman for Truetone. I'm not. All I can say is that the supply works great for me and I was a stubborn SOB against switching supplies and trusting that they could run without noise. I would just suggest buying from a dealer that has a no hassle return and exchange/refund policy. Just in case.

Anyway, check out the video if you want ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q0YrwWhR_Y

Comment

Originally posted by Axeman16 View Post
        i have a voodoo power iso 5 which is fantastic. i believe they have a larger version that would accommodate your board size
        That's the Mondo and it's $300.

I think I'll end up with the Truetone. That price is hard to beat.
        Go Packers!

Comment

Hi Matt42,
          I just purchased a T Rex Fuel Tank Chameleon power supply...has 9v,12v,18v,and AC options and each output is 300 milliamps so a single output can do like 1/2 of your common 9v or 12v pedals...priced at $149 ...comes with a s¥€%#load of cables
          ..only downside is it is made in Europe so service is problematic for U.S. customers...I have never used mail back to manufacturer service in my life but one never knows...This supply is totally iso like the Voodoo Labs stuff, just more power and more options.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't really like to daisy chain, if I can avoid it. It makes my board look messy and unorganized. I'd rather have something that can supply each pedal with its own plug.
            Go Packers!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt42 View Post
              I don't really like to daisy chain, if I can avoid it. It makes my board look messy and unorganized. I'd rather have something that can supply each pedal with its own plug.
              There is also the Dunlop Iso Brick. It's about $150 but I think it's fed by a wall wart, although, each output is fully isolated. I posted a thread on it because of it's compact size and price for the number of outlets. It's fairly new so there hasn't been much chatter but what there is has been kind of a mixed bag.

There is also an MXR/CAE supply that has something like 15 outlets. Cant remember the model but it's around $250.

Cioks DC10 is about $200

Comment

+1 on Trex power supplies. I've got 2 Fuel Tank Juniors (only have 3 pedals to run for 2 boards) so its nice and tidy on my board. Clean, isolated, noise free power all night long. Had mine for about 5-6 years now and never ever had a single issue. You'd probably want to get the blue standard size one or the grey "Goliath" one I think its called as it can take more pedals.
                Last edited by DeadandBuried; 02-24-2016, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Axeman16 View Post
                  i got this small one. works great. no noise. i wonder what their bigger model is. should work for you.
                  Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
                  http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

10 years with three Fuel Tanks. Never a problem nor noise.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X