Need some Infosy about the Bonamassa Fuzz and the Eric Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some Infosy about the Bonamassa Fuzz and the Eric Johnson

I would like to buy a Fuzz. But I only can compare the Fuzz through Youtube, The musicstores are to far, and most dont have a Bonamassa or Eric Johnson Fuzz. From What I heard I like the Johnson and the Bonmassa Fuzz the most, The Hendrix I dont like that much.
    My Questions:
    1. Could I achive with the Bonamassa Fuzz the Eric Johnson sound?
    2. Could I achive with the Eric Johnson Fuzz the Tone that Clapton used with Cream. I know that the Bonamassa Fuzz can go in that direction.
    3. Do you guys think Johnson used on ''Last house on the Block'' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6MI1MOD9mU a Fuzz in beginning and also in end? At around 13:25 he sound like clapton. Or did he just cranked his Plexi for this song?

Re: Need some Infosy about the Bonamassa Fuzz and the Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson has also used a BK Butler Tube Driver pedal.
    Originally posted by Brown Note
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

Comment

What guitar, pickups and Amp are you using? Are you primarily going for the Eric Johnson sound?

I ask because in the big picture a Fuzz Face sounds like a Fuzz Face (as opposed to a Tube Screamer it or DS-1), but when you dig in, there are a lot of differences between them due to transistor type, gain and biasing. It's interesting you ended up with the Bonamassa and EJ. The Bonamassa is a low gain germanium fuzz, designed to pair with his Humbuckers and still have some dynamic range. The EJ is higher gain silicon and biased to be a little "spitty" or gated. If you play Humbuckers and like Bonamassa's smoother fuzz tone, the Bonamassa one is a good choice. If you play single coils and want that aggressive, splattery attack the EJ seems good. However, for Singles and a smoother Silicon fuzz tone, the Hendrix is awesome.

(Caveat: I only own the Bonamassa, Hendrix and 3 various NKT-275 Fuzz Face circuits, I can only judge the EJ by online clips and reviews)
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
        Eric Johnson has also used a BK Butler Tube Driver pedal.
        Interestingly enough, Bonamassa has signature FET Driver as well, based on the Tube Driver.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
          What guitar, pickups and Amp are you using? Are you primarily going for the Eric Johnson sound?

I ask because in the big picture a Fuzz Face sounds like a Fuzz Face (as opposed to a Tube Screamer it or DS-1), but when you dig in, there are a lot of differences between them due to transistor type, gain and biasing. It's interesting you ended up with the Bonamassa and EJ. The Bonamassa is a low gain germanium fuzz, designed to pair with his Humbuckers and still have some dynamic range. The EJ is higher gain silicon and biased to be a little "spitty" or gated. If you play Humbuckers and like Bonamassa's smoother fuzz tone, the Bonamassa one is a good choice. If you play single coils and want that aggressive, splattery attack the EJ seems good. However, for Singles and a smoother Silicon fuzz tone, the Hendrix is awesome.

(Caveat: I only own the Bonamassa, Hendrix and 3 various NKT-275 Fuzz Face circuits, I can only judge the EJ by online clips and reviews)
          Big plus 1 to this. I owned the Hendrix fuzz (blue one) and the Dunlop one with a buffer. Preferred the Hendrix one. Both worked well with humbuckers IMO.

Comment

At the momen I use Humbucker only. Would like to own also a Strat, but this is writen in the future. When I compare, I realy like the Strat Fuzz sound from EJ. So I wonder if EJ use his Fuzz also with his SG. For that I put the youtube video, where he play his SG. But I cant say if its Fuzz driven Sound through his 50 W Plexi or if it is his Lead Sound from 100 W Plexi. I only can hear, that it sound fuzzy but also Eric Clapton like.
            But Eric Clatpon sayd he never used a Fuzz, but who knows... some say that u can achieve Eric Clapton sound with Fuzz. But I think when Eric Clapton would have used a Fuzz it would have been a germanium because the silicon came up when Cream splittet, when I am right.

Comment

get a sunface with the sundial option.
              A big part of the eric johnson sputtery loose sound is the way the pedal is biased. Adjusting the sundial will get that for you.
              A big part of the bonamassa fuzz sound is the warm and organic sound of 60s germanium transistors. You can choose the transistors when you order.
              The dunlop fuzzes have the bias control hidden away inside the unit and under the circuitboard. With the sunface you can adjust it from outside.
              It also comes with an input trimmer inside the pedal so you can tailor its response to humbuckers.
              In the end, a sunface will be able to do the best of both pedals and more.
              The analogman stuff is (in my experience) well worth the coin.

The other one(s) worth considering are the fulltone 70 (for the silicon eric johnson or jimi hendrix sound) or the fulltone 69 for the germanium sound.
              Last edited by Chickenwings; 02-22-2016, 08:17 PM.
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

i have a sunface and its a fantastic fuzzface type pedal. i also have a keeley blacktop fuzz which is silicon and also a good pedal but the sunface has some extra magic going on

Comment

OK thanks for the info... I decided to get Bonamassa Fuzz, because I got an offer for a used one for good Price. And when I dont like I would try Sunface and sell bonamassas.

Comment

Working...
                  X