Pedal order, board 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedal order, board 2?

Ok, If anyone has paid attention to my mindless drivel, awhile back I built a "utility" board with my OCD, reverb, wah, tuner,delay. The essentials if I needed one board to grab for a gig. I asked for help awhile back with the best order for those.. I just built my "color" board, which Im going to mount my MXR Flanger, Phase 90, Chorus, Trem pedals . I figure if I ever get where Im recording or what have you, I can link em together.. I may put a dist pedal on this board just cuz I A) have some extra space and B) I have some other pedals I like.. But the dist prolly wont be used unless I only have this board with me, its the only board I have with me, or again, if Im recording and I need "that" sound for something. So, having said that.....

Any order that is better than the others for chaining these effects?? I believe all I mentioned for this board would be good in the loop, correct? (except the distortion, of course) Any other input? Thanks!!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Pedal order, board 2?

If I were you I'd go:
    Board 1:
    Wah -> Tuner -> OCD -> *Insert Send/Recieve* -> Delay -> Reverb

Board 2:
    Phaser -> Flanger -> Chorus -> Tremolo (this order is completely subjective)

Board 1, into front of the Amp: Jump the *insert Send/Recieve*
    Board 1, using loop: Send to amp, Recieve from loop, end of board to loop return
    Board 1 & 2 into front of the amp: connect Board 1 Send to Board 2 In and the Out from Board 2 into the Return of Board 1
    Board 1 & 2 using loop: Send goes to amp, from loop into board 2, into return of board 1 back to loop return

This provides a ridiculously flexible setup, whether you want 1 or 2 boards and using the loop or not. (Also, it's based on the premise that I prefer delay and reverb last after everything.)

Does that make any sense?
    Last edited by PFDarkside; 02-22-2016, 05:38 PM.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Perfect sense.. Yeah, Ive caught some flack for doing two boards, but I thought it had its merits. I was originally going to go with one front amp board and one loop board, and if I start gigging, I may do that, But for practical reasoning I did it the way I did, for now..

Why is it you prefer dlay and verb last? So they color the entire signal instead of a part along the way?? My first board is doing the job, but Ive got some order experimenting to try once I get some free time based on what you said and some suggestions made in the thread I made about that board..

Thanks for the reply!
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Geez, I was rounding up my pedals and had forgotten I have an A/DA flanger.. So will be that and not the mxr. Of course the A/DA is so big, that and the Dunlop tremolo will take most of a shelf

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Ok, here is a quick mockup of what will most likely go on the board. I had planned all along to use the MXR flanger, forgetting I had the A/DA. Def want to use the A/DA. So, since this pedal is for colors, and not convenience, I guess I could use both..

Let me know what would be the best order. The Little Bear in the last position is a multi function Rat pedal knock off. Supposed to do Rat, Turbo Rat and the other one, all in one. I figure I have room, might as well put a dirt pedal on there.. Would this be better in first position?

Here it is:

Here are some random extra pedals I have, I found while digging, just for the halibut:

sorry if the photos arent facing properly.. I have rotated and fixed them in photobucket at least 5 times.. they show up fine in there, but not coming over right..?? @!#$!#$%@##!!!!!!!!!

Also have a Vox Wah, Morley Bad Horsie, 2 Boss DS-1s (one stock, one Spina Modded), the Ibanez Jem pedal, Toadworks Mr Ed and John Bull, Marshall Jackhammer, Boss Flanger and 2......... Are you ready?????? Grunge pedals!! haha. one orig one, where low is labeled Butt and a newer one labeled Low.. haha There are a couple others too, but dont recall now..

Oh, remembered one.. Have The Brian May Red Special pedal..

Anyhow, once I decide on the correct order, Ill arrange em, put on the velcro ,mount and wire em up
          Last edited by BloodRose; 02-23-2016, 10:43 AM.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

The only thing I'd add is to consider putting your Phase-90 in front of your drive/distortion stages - it's more like a wah/envelope filter than modulation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the reply Vince T!

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Any other input?? I got the velcro on both the board and pedals yest. Ready to get em mounted and wired up.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I guess Ill start by setting it up as : Rat, phase 90, Flanger, flanger (feel kinda dumb using 2, but this is just a color board, I have both, and they are slightly different "shades") Chorus, trem and octave. This will typically run in the loop, but if I want to use the rat, Ill go front end. Unless someone chimes in with a better order, Ill start with this and go from there. I rarely use the Octave pedal. (It still looks brand new) so I really have NO idea where that should fall in the chain. But, I assume last, that way its providing the octave of the fully processed signal.

Im going to get everything mounted today. Then start piecing it together. Have to then see how many six inch patch cables Ive got. I was thinking Ill have to wait till after payday order another Donner power unit, but I got excited thinking that I have a new one spot in a box out there.. BUT CRAP!!!! Two of those pedals are 18v.. Dangit! Will have to wait and get the power supply.. Oh well, gonna make some progress

Jol Dantzig

Comment

So, how is it turning out?

Comment

I like reverb last because it simulates the space you are in. I put delay before that so the reverb can 'blur' or diffuse the echoes a bit (if I had a looper, I would put that last or second to last).
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I like phase and flange before distortion/amp, even chorus especially if it's analog. Eddie did it that way... ;-) You should experiment and see what you like.

Of course, I have everything on one relatively small board, including my AMT preamp which is basically my amp, so WDIK.

Comment

Originally posted by ant_riv View Post
                          So, how is it turning out?
                          My 16 yr old has been keeping me, umm... distracted from making much progress. The board built and velcro'd, pedals velcro'd. getting my pedal to pedal cables ordered next day or two. Then have to power it up. gonna be awhile before I can put a nice power supply on it, so will do a strip and warts to get operational. looks like Im gonna have to put some feet on it to get alil more clearance for warts..

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          I like reverb last because it simulates the space you are in. I put delay before that so the reverb can 'blur' or diffuse the echoes a bit (if I had a looper, I would put that last or second to last).
                          I have my verb on my main board. I may experiment with that once Im done getting this together.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                          X