Single Noise Gate Pedal To Kill BOTH FX Loop AND Amp Noise at a Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Single Noise Gate Pedal To Kill BOTH FX Loop AND Amp Noise at a Time

Yes, it should, you need to run the guitar signal from early in the chain to the input of the G-string so it is getting a pure signal from the guitar, then the dirt pedals and preamp in the loop, then the out to the effects in the loop. That will be cleanest way and it shouldn't chop off your signal on the clean channel.

Comment

What do you mean by FX loop noise? Can you explain what pedals you have and describe the noise issue? Maybe it is your amp's preamp section being noisy. Do you play always dirty or switch between clean and dirty?

The Decimator G-String is good for swtiching from clean to dirty and that is now the Boss NS-2 is also meant to work. Both have a loop itself so you plug the clean guitar into the pedal input to know when you are not playing and then shut the noise of whatever is in the pedal's loop, like pedals into the front end of an amp or both pedals infront and preamp. In theory putting time base FX pedal like delay/echo/reverb in the loop of the Decimator G-String will immediately be silenced when you stop playing the guitar, cutting the delay repeats or the reverb decay, that may be good or bad depending on what you are looking for. I have my echo pedal after my Decimator G-String and when I stop playing I can hear my delay repeats with no hum from my preamp.
      Last edited by IMENATOR; 06-02-2016, 01:48 PM.
      Who took my guitar?

Comment

He's talking about preamp noise, and yes, you should have the gate before any effects in the loop. Basically I was trying to describe running it the same way it sounds like you are running yours.

FWIW, I run my dirt pedals in the loop of my NS-2 before my preamp, there isn't enough noise from the preamp to bother me.

Comment

I hate noise gates only as a must resort, adjusted badly or too overt they can really kill your dynamics. So many good quality modern tech circuits around, so much better release and attack then they used to be.
          I sort of think you pretty much get what you pay for these days. Easy buy on Sweetwater, zZounds or AMS 3,4 payments no credit qual, just FYI. I am up on ISP myself and the HUSH pro rack, Boss is not something I dig these days. As far as where to put, loop seems ideal technically but I have seen up front gates work very well depends what is causing the noise or the mere artifact of using uber gain levels.
          "A great player can make just about anything sound decent, a poor one can make great gear sound bad.
          You know what they say, 'if you cannot hear the problem, it does not exist, ...for you."

I insist you hate me because I am pretty.

Comment

I have not tried it yet, but there is also always the Sentry noise gate by tc electronic. Seems pretty good at its job as well. I do have the older Nova dynamics, which also contains a noise gate, however I hardly ever use enough gain to need it as a noise gate (its also a compressor, which I use it for). The demos for the new sentry look cool if you would need a noise gate.
            Last edited by MrTondo; 06-03-2016, 01:36 AM.
            Unbelief is safe, because it takes no risk and almost always gets what it expects.

When your passion begins to decline, you already start to die. You were born to burn.

Comment

BOSS NS-2 X formation should work fine.

http://wisdomsguitar.com/peavey-5150...ise-suppressor
              Wackor
              Ørdøg
              NecroPolo
              Diabolus in Musica
              SIDrip Alliance
              Book of Shadows
              RKH

Comment

In that diagram he should have the NS-2 before the SD-1 and I would put it before the Phase 90 also (at least that's how I'm running mine), you want the input to sense the pure signal from the guitar, not after a distortion/OD box.

My <$0.02

Comment

I mean saying FX Loop Noise : The Noise originates from any pedal in the FX Loop.

As I understand ISP Decimator G String can kill the noise both FX Loop and the amp in the same time. So, there is no need for buying G String II. Then I'll order it.
                  Last edited by zanshin777; 06-03-2016, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Yes, you hook it up the same was as the NS-2, but the ISP is the better unit IMHO (and I use an NS-2).

Comment

Originally posted by zanshin777 View Post
                      I mean saying FX Loop Noise : The Noise originates from any pedal in the FX Loop.

As I understand ISP Decimator G String can kill the noise both FX Loop and the amp in the same time. So, there is no need for buying G String II. Then I'll order it.
                      Is the noise in the form of hum or hiss? Hum could be due to a ground loop if you are not using a isolated power supply. Hiss on the other hand can also be due to mismatched impedance issues. Anyways, i would get a regular decimator pedal for the fx loop first & another one for the guitar down the road if needed, that way it would be more effective in setting things separately such that the noise is reduced & your dynamics aren't affected much. The NS2 has an extra knob to adjust decay, on paper that would seem useful, haven't had it so not sure if its effective.

Comment

It's said that ISP Decimators are the best for noise killing.

Regular Decimators don't kill both noise in the same time. You have to use 2 noise killers. One for FX Loop and the other one for the amp. Rather than that I'll go for G String I.

I just started to collect analog pedals. Now I have a crappy transistor amp without FX Loop and two pedals (OD and Wah). I run them with 9V batteries.

Here you can't sell anything so I don't want to make mistake while buying musical equipment.

Comment

Working...
                        X