Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGS (New Gear Season)

Get ready.. this is a long one!

I wasn't sure in which forum I should post this because it includes amps, a guitar, pickups, other hardware, and some re-wiring too...

Money is usually a little tight around the BriGuy household, mine being the only income with 3 kids and 2 grandkids at home, so at tax refund time I get to spend a little money on gear. Of course it was still a limited amount, but I think I did pretty well for myself. Since this is the Pedal Board, we'll start there.

Zoom G5 Multi-Effect Pedal: I've been using a POD HD400 for the last 4 years and it sounds great, but it's an awful lot of tap-dancing. I ended up using some other pedals with it just to make switching less complicated, but it made setup (and breakdown) MORE complicated! I put the whole thing on a pedalboard that I fashioned out of a pallet, and it worked good, but was heavy. The POD also has a couple of switches that are getting a little tired. I researched quite a bit and got down to a POD HD500X or the Zoom G5, and opted for the Zoom because it was a little cheaper and simpler. It's awesome! I've got all the sounds I wanted (and they're great sounding) without having to switch banks all the time. 4 stompboxes right in front of me with a built-in tube booster and then I have the Z-pedal set for wah (up and down), delay mix (to the right), and overdrive gain (to the left). I also got the extra foot pedal which is volume only, making it so that my volume doesn't have to go all the way up in order to use the wah.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	BWG Zoom G5 01.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	5840317Click image for larger version

Name:	BWG Zoom FP02M Expression Pedal.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	5840316

Fender Champion 100 & Champion 40: My amp for the last 11 years has been a Crate FXT 65. Right about the time I got the POD HD400, I also picked up a used Crate V212C cabinet, and the three have been the heart of my rig ever since. The cab gave it a nice extra bottom, and I always just used the amp clean with none of the effects, letting the POD do the modeling... essentially turning the amp & cab into a 3x12 60 watt powered speaker. When I was researching pedals, I realized that I wanted to be able to NOT use a slot for amp modeling and so (of course) I would need a new amp to go with it. The Champion 100 was in my limited price range, sounds great clean and has some great amp models for the second channel. It has several onboard effects, but I just use the reverb... and HOLY CRAP is it LOUD! I didn't want to lug it back and forth from band practice & gigs, so I also got the Champion 40 (which has most of the same features) for practice at home.

Name:	BWG Fender Champion 100.jpg
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	5840319Click image for larger version

Name:	BWG Fender Champion 40.jpg
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	5840318

Seymour Duncan P-Rails with Triple Shots: I love all my guitars, but "Rachel" (my 2005 Ibanez AS83) just plays like butter! The stock ACH pickups, though, were pretty meh. I also did a little re-wiring, replacing all the pots (no-loads for tone controls, and push-pulls for volumes with a phase reverse on the neck volume and master series/parallel switch on the bridge volume). The Triple Shots were a little tricky. I got the carved top ones, but the top of my guitar actually slopes down toward the neck (I'd never noticed it before) and so the shorter ring left the pickup at an angle. The taller ring, which is cut for the bridge pickup, sloped the wrong way... making matters worse. I ended up using the short ring for the bridge pickup and the tall ring upside-down for the neck in order to get everything to fit. It's unconventional, but it works good... and my guitar sounds like a million bucks!

Name:	20160228_153432042_iOS.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	5840315

GFS Dream 180 Pickup Set: Honestly, I have had it in my brain to get a zebra-striped Pearly Gates set for "Lita" (my 2010 Ibanez RG3EXFM1), but I was spending enough money that I decided to only really splurge on the P-Rails mentioned above at this time. Then I was cruising around on the GuitarFetish site and started listening to some of their pickups. I ended up deciding on a set of their Dream 180s (black casings with pearl tops... I even bought a set of matching knobs). At the price I didn't feel like I could go wrong, and they had to be better than the stock Ibanez V7/V8s that were in it. I was VERY pleasantly surprised at how good they sound! I'd still like to get some Pearly Gates, but I'm gonna have to find a different guitar to put 'em in because this one's all set!

Name:	Lita Dream 180s & Matching Knobs.jpg
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	5840320

Locking Tuners and Re-Wire for "The Phoenix":You guys (and gals) have seen "The Phoenix" (my 1985 Westone Spectrum LX)... it's the guitar in my avatar and I've talked about it a few times in various places on the forum. I had decided to tweak a couple of things with the wiring, going to a master tone, replacing what had been the neck tone with a blend pot for bringing in the center pickup or even using it by itself (which is a wonderful way to do it, by the way), reversed the split on the neck for hum cancellation, and added a master series/parallel between the neck and bridge pups. I had left the original tuners on it last year, but with all the gold hardware the headstock looked kind of dull... not to mention that I was having some tuning stability issues. Got these locking tuners to match the other hardware from GuitarFetish, along with replacing the center speed knob with a gold dome knob (don't need the numbers for a blend pot).

Name:	The Phoenix New Tuners.jpg
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	5840322Click image for larger version

Name:	The Phoenix New Knob.jpg
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	5840321

GuitarFetish Badass Style Intonatable Wraparound Bridge: My wife had gotten me "Scarlet Overkill" (2015 Epiphone Les Paul Special I P-90) for Christmas. It plays amazingly well for a $99.00 guitar, and the P-90s are great, but intonation suffered with the stock intonated bridge. This one from GuitarFetish was pretty cheap, but it does the trick quite nicely, making this guitar VERY playable and fun. Also, I went for gold instead of the chrome and then replaced the black speed knobs with the gold ones leftover from "The Phoenix" for a bit of a new look as well.

Name:	Scarlet Overkill New Bridge & Knobs.jpg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	5840323

BC Rich Perfect 10 Bich: Last but certainly not least is my un-planned gear acquisition "Renee" (named after Mrs. BriGuy) which was given to my by my wife for Valentines Day. I've already posted elsewhere about both the guitar and my wife, but here's a pic anyway!

Name:	20160217_023643757_iOS.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	5840324

That's it... my GAS attack for 2016!
    Originally posted by The Commodores?
    "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Re: NGS (New Gear Season)

Wow, exciting times. That's a hell of a lot of gear, you done good!

Comment

CONGRATS ON THE RIGHTEOUS BOUNTY!
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Nice!!!

Lotsa "Win" there!!!

"Scalloped & Stickered"
        A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Nice haul!! Play them well!!
          -Greg

Guitars:
          2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
          2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
          2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
          Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

cool to see another Phoenix. i've got an '84 model that is currently undergoing a "Jerry Garcia" transformation.

Comment

Thanks everybody... it's been pretty fun & exciting putting together a new rig and experimenting with the new pups!

Originally posted by tenniso View Post
              cool to see another Phoenix. i've got an '84 model that is currently undergoing a "Jerry Garcia" transformation.
              It's actually a Westone Spectrum LX. Westone was Electra's sister company... the Westone Spectrum and the Electra Phoenix were pretty much identical body-wise. I really love mine. I call it "The Phoenix" because it went through a fire back in 1995 (badly scarred & charred) but then it rose from the ashes like the mythical bird when a buddy of mine re-finished it in 2004, and then I finally replaced all the fried electronics last year. At the time I named it I had no idea that the Electra Phoenix existed, so it was kind of cool when I found out that it's identical twin from its sister company was also called a Phoenix!

They're wonderful guitars...made in the Matsumoku factory. Very versatile and great players! I think it's actually kind of cool that no one seems to know about them.

I'd love to see some pics of your Phoenix... both before and after!

Comment

mine says Electra/Westone on the headstock with the Phoenix symbol between them. it was h/s/h config with coil splitting for the neck and bridge and out of phase for the bridge. the neck's tone control turned on/off the middle single coil. it has the "bend master" trem also. i have attached a pic of a guitar identical to mine for a "before pic". i will post some pics whenever i finish the transformation. currently i have removed all the paint from the body and sanded to 400 grit. tonight i am applying a dark walnut stain.

i am going to change the electronics to 3 humbuckers: Super distorton bridge, super 2 middle, humbucker from hell neck. all pickups will have a switch for series/parallel/single coil. i will have a master volume, treble roll off and bass roll off also. i am also going to try to fit the guitar with a brass nut and all brass or gold plated hardware as well.

Name:	redburstX190.jpg
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	5792218

Comment

Originally posted by tenniso View Post
                  mine says Electra/Westone on the headstock with the Phoenix symbol between them. it was h/s/h config with coil splitting for the neck and bridge and out of phase for the bridge. the neck's tone control turned on/off the middle single coil. it has the "bend master" trem also. i have attached a pic of a guitar identical to mine for a "before pic". i will post some pics whenever i finish the transformation. currently i have removed all the paint from the body and sanded to 400 grit. tonight i am applying a dark walnut stain.

i am going to change the electronics to 3 humbuckers: Super distorton bridge, super 2 middle, humbucker from hell neck. all pickups will have a switch for series/parallel/single coil. i will have a master volume, treble roll off and bass roll off also. i am also going to try to fit the guitar with a brass nut and all brass or gold plated hardware as well.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70711[/ATTACH]
                  Very cool! Mine had the same original configuration. I put a JB in the bridge, Hot Stack in the center, and a Jazz in the neck. I have series/split/parallel switches for each pickup (just like your plan), a master tone (with varitone switch next to it), I left the phase reverse on the push/pull, a blend pot for blending in the center or even blending out the neck/bridge, and then the volume has a master series/parallel for the neck & bridge pups on the push/pull. Lots of switches... but it's fun!

The Bendmaster got all rusted out after the water from putting out the fire and then several years of sitting while I felt sorry for myself, so I replaced it with a cheap Floyd copy and blocked it... never was much of a tremolo guy anyway.

I look forward to hearing about your project as it goes, and of course seeing how the refinish turns out!

Comment

Working...
                  X