New (old) pedal from Jeorge Tripps...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (old) pedal from Jeorge Tripps...

Mr. Tripps is reissuing one of his more rare pedals, the Camel Toe. One side Green Rhino and one side Red Llama. The love for the Green Rhino is well known here, but the Red Llama is a sleeper. Tweed type tones, a secret weapon of Mike Campbell, I've loved my clone for years. Now he's reissuing the two-in-one Camel Toe. Combined with the Swollen Pickle, that's formidable drive combo!

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Re: New (old) pedal from Jeorge Tripps...

Finally! I've ben waiting for this since they started the reissues. There was talk a couple of years ago about introducing this a s a Campbell signature "CampbellToe", but the hype faded away. Thanks! you made my day!!!
    "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.” --John Lennon

Comment

oh sweet! thats on the short list

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Instead of starting another thread, I thought I'd put this here. I didn't know Way Huge is now making a Dumble Overdrive Special pedal. It turns out it's not technically a Dumble simulator, but more of a custom pedal made for Joe Bonamassa..... The Overrated Special. They're making 1000, so it could turn out to be a collectible eventually. I may consider getting one.

From picks to pedals and every accessory in between, Dunlop Manufacturing has been creating world-class gear for musicians for over 50 years. We consistently create the best selling picks and analog electronics, and carry a large line of accessories that set industry standards in their respective fields. We have a long list of legendary and modern-day superstars who all share a passion for our gear. Whether it’s pushing new innovations with our string line, or tweaking classic sounds with our vintage pedals, there is a dedication to music at the heart of everything we create.

Last edited by Gearjoneser; 03-02-2016, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Yeah that one looks cool as well. (Limited production)

I think hiring Jeorge was the best thing Jim Dunlop has done in quite a while...
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

I think hiring Jeorge was the best thing Jim Dunlop has done in quite a while...
              Definitely. The other smart thing was creating a ton of signature wahs.

Comment

That's the best pedal name ever!

Comment

Can't lose on this one, so I pulled the trigger. My Amazon gift cards knocked the price down too.

You'll see people trying to get $300+ for these in a few weeks......just like the copper fuzz faces.

I realize it's not technically a Dumble clone pedal, but here's the exact amp that inspired the pedal's graphics.

Last edited by Gearjoneser; 03-03-2016, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                    Can't lose on this one, so I pulled the trigger. My Amazon gift cards knocked the price down too.

You'll see people trying to get $300+ for these in a few weeks......just like the copper fuzz faces.

I realize it's not technically a Dumble clone pedal, but here's the exact amp that inspired the pedal's graphics.
                    Probably a Tube Screamer.

Did you get a Bonamassa FET Driver? Those were limited too and would look sweet between your copper Fuzz Face and Bonamassa Wah.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Yeah, I think it's pretty much another flavor of a Green Rhino with more control over the bass and mids, with the absence of an actual tone knob, which is done to open up the natural tone by eliminating the high end roll off.

Speaking of Tubescreamers, I've also got a TS808HW in my OD collection. It's a beautiful sounding pedal with a strat and blackface Fender.
                      Not surprisingly, it nails the SRV tone a little better than other TS's.....a bit more open and natural.
                      Last edited by Gearjoneser; 03-05-2016, 02:17 AM.

Comment

As a gear junkie who's followed Way Huge pedals even when the 90's originals started fetching thousands, I was stoked to see Dunlop hire Tripps and escalate those designs.

This thread sort of reminded me why I ran out and bought a Green Rhino when Dunlop started selling them.

For those who don't know, Jeorge Tripps used to call Dunlop's engineers and consult with them. Jim Dunlop felt uncomfortable having a boutique guy picking their ideas apart and allegedly told his employees to stop answering Tripp's questions.

Dunlop hired him after Way Huge ended, and hired him with the intent of reissuing WH pedals. He then breathed new life into the company with the signature wahs, fuzzes, WH, and new MXR's.

I truly think WH is a brand that are modern classics. The circuits, build quality, tone, and sweet brushed anodized enclosures seal the deal for what constitutes a classic.

Seeing the Overrated Special makes me know that it's like the Klon in the sense that they'll be hugely collectible.
                        After ordering one, I'm thinking I should have bought the rest available.

So today I searched locally and scored a mint discontinued Red Llama...a big favorite of Mike Campbell. I plugged it into a Marshall 2204, Matchless Chieftain, and Fender Pro Reverb, and A/B'd it with my Green Rhino. The Green Rhino is tighter and more focused like a deeper Tube Screamer, but the Red Llama is fatter, raw, and grungy, like a Bassman 410 turned all the way up. I'm sure the Overrated Special will be open sounding with more mid content, and if Bonamassa loves it, I'll quickly see why he made it his current #1.

The only WH OD I have yet to get is the Pork Loin, but it's on my short list.
                        Last edited by Gearjoneser; 03-05-2016, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Well, I've been running my Overrated Special into my amps for a week now and it's in my top 3 of all time favorites. I was afraid it would be too similar to my Green Rhino, but it doesn't overlap much at all. It's very punchy and articulate, and does it all perfectly. Instant classic that's rising in price!

I still think the Green Rhino may be better on Fenders, but the OS sounds spectacular with Marshalls. It's neutral gan, with control over the EQ.

Comment

sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                            - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Well, I've been running my Overrated Special into my amps for a week now and it's in my top 3 of all time favorites. I was afraid it would be too similar to my Green Rhino, but it doesn't overlap much at all. It's very punchy and articulate, and does it all perfectly. Instant classic that's rising in price!

I still think the Green Rhino may be better on Fenders, but the OS sounds spectacular with Marshalls. It's neutral gan, with control over the EQ.
                              Very cool!
                              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X