MXR talk box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MXR talk box?

How is the MXR talk box?? Anyone use one? How do you like it? Can anyone say how it compares to others, such as the Heil?
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: MXR talk box?

I never used a talk box- I figure it is ok for covers of Rocky Mountain Way and Do You Feel Like We Do. However, I heard something cool with a Digitech Talker pedal, where pieces of dialog from movies (or passages from books) were sampled, and then 'played' through the device during the show. It was the first time I heard something more interesting played through such a device.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The Heil (trademark owned by Dunlop now) requires an amp and speaker cable routing because it's basically just a speaker. The MXR, having a built in amplifier makes it much easier to integrate into a rig.

Either way, it's such a specific effect, I'd almost rather get an extreme wah like a Parachute or maybe Colorsound style that will emulate it if you need to cover a tune with talkbox and will also provide a second option to your current wah(s). That is of course unless you have wanted to cover Rocky Mountain Way and Do You Feel Like We Do on a nightly basis.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

A little talk box goes a long way; gets annoying very quickly. At home, use it a lot, but on stage...
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Yeah, man, it can get seriously annoying. I suppose it was interesting in the 70s, as it hadn't yet reached a mass audience yet. I feel bad for Frampton and Walsh- they have to drag that thing out on every tour now. Here is a vintage talk box example...

Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah, thats why Ive never invested in one. First, I figure use would be very limited. Second, the old style pretty much needed a separate rig for it. the mxr, changes that..I have a rack mount Rockman unit, but havent put it into use yet cuz it too, pretty much will require an amp of its own
            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I saw a guy play one of the new MXR ones with an electric banjo. It worked pretty well. It was only for one song, and I'm sure it would have been a bit annoying to hear it much more than that.
              Go Packers!

Comment

I own the MXR like the Heil it needs a separate rig. The only one I know of that plugs directly into your signal chain is the Rocktron Banshee. What makes the MXR nice is it has its own preamp gain so it is easier to control the distortion. The thing is also built like a tank. I use mine with the Excelsior in the mic input or with my 40 watt keyboard amp both are more than serviceable. You can go way beyond Walsh and Frampton tones with the unit, your imagination is the only barrier. However, like others have said it can be a pain to setup if the gig doesn't have a house PA.

Comment

There are some songs that you just need it:

Livin' on a prayer
                  The Zoo
                  Frampton
                  etc…
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Love all those Aceman!! Thanks!! I forgot about The Zoo!!!

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                      There are some songs that you just need it:

Frampton

As cool a song as 'Do you Feel' is, I turn it off before the talk box part, as that's gotten old a long time ago. The solos before that are infinitely more interesting. If I were to hear a band do a cover of it, it would be a blessing if they didn't use a talk box.
                      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

This is actually my favorite use for the talk box:
                        For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Here's one of my favorite uses for a talk box I've ever heard.

Go Packers!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt42 View Post
                            Here's one of my favorite uses for a talk box I've ever heard.
                            Way too cool... It kills with the sustain of the lap steel

Daft punk use Talk box w/ keys all the time
                            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

My fav is the keyboard solo on "Fragments of Time" with the talkbox
                            Last edited by HALENisking; 03-06-2016, 09:46 PM.
                            Within the glow that weaves a cloak of delight ... There moves a thread that has no end
                            Yours is the cloth, mine is the hand that sews time ... For me, the cloth once more to spin
                            At last the arm is straight, the hand to the loom ... Is this to end or just begin?

sigpic My guitars + better pics

Comment

Nope...

Comment

Working...
                              X