• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myaccount876
    replied
    Re: MXR talk box?

Originally posted by Lampy H View Post
    I've heard that the wahhh wahh wah part in Man In A Box was double tracked. One with a wah, the other with a talk box.
    It seems like it in the full mix, but when it's stripped down to the guitars, there's a dry take blended with a talk box take up front (worth mentioning - the tone on these takes is very "sculpted". Jerry Cantrell has been known to send his signal to multiple amps - like the "Snorkler" JCM800, an AC30, Bogner Fish, Orange amps etc. and blend them together to create a layered sound). The only wah on the studio recording is during the solo.

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied

Originally posted by Lampy H View Post
    I've heard that the wahhh wahh wah part in Man In A Box was double tracked. One with a wah, the other with a talk box.
    For some reason I thought that as well.

Leave a comment:

• Lampy H
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Myaccount876
    replied

Here's the studio tracks. You can hear him doing the multi-tracking he always uses. Ex: For the verses, there's one dry guitar track blended with the talk box track, and they sound like different takes. But during the solo, it starts out with a guitar that is probably a Les Paul through a wah-wah instead of a talk box, but is then spliced to a single coil neck pickup on what sounds like a G&L ASAT. The wah was used live instead of a talk box until only recently because he said that it was a ***** to set up correctly, but since AIC uses iso-cabs now with a big enough road crew they can have the talk box set up every night and have it sound consistently good.

Leave a comment:

• Johnny the Kid
    replied

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
    Recorded with a talk box, performed live mostly with a wah, more recently performed with a talk box.

Gotcha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• GilmourD
    replied

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. I've heard it was a wah pedal and I've heard it was a talk box. Part of the effect is that Layne Staley sang the guitar melody. Jerry Cantrell is known for using an exceptionally thick/ vocal sounding wah pedal.
    Recorded with a talk box, performed live mostly with a wah, more recently performed with a talk box.

Leave a comment:

• Johnny the Kid
    replied

Originally posted by Lovegun View Post
    Ok. I thougt it was wah and talk-box part was the last uhu wah wah uhu wah wah waaaaah. I know Dimebag used wah pedal regularly. Alice in Chains Man In The Box had definately had talk-box in it.
    I'm not so sure about that. I've heard it was a wah pedal and I've heard it was a talk box. Part of the effect is that Layne Staley sang the guitar melody. Jerry Cantrell is known for using an exceptionally thick/ vocal sounding wah pedal.

Leave a comment:

• Lovegun
    replied

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
    I believe that is a wah pedal. He was well known for using one.
    Ok. I thougt it was wah and talk-box part was the last uhu wah wah uhu wah wah waaaaah. I know Dimebag used wah pedal regularly. Alice in Chains Man In The Box had definately had talk-box in it.
    Last edited by Lovegun; 03-09-2016, 05:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Johnny the Kid
    replied

Originally posted by Lovegun View Post
    Wasn't there talk-box part on Pantera's This Love rigth about 3:40. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tymWpEU8wpM
    I believe that is a wah pedal. He was well known for using one.

Leave a comment:

• Lovegun
    replied

Wasn't there talk-box part on Pantera's This Love rigth about 3:40. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tymWpEU8wpM

Leave a comment:

• GilmourD
    replied

Leave a comment:

• HALENisking
    replied

Originally posted by Matt42 View Post
    Here's one of my favorite uses for a talk box I've ever heard.
    Way too cool... It kills with the sustain of the lap steel

Daft punk use Talk box w/ keys all the time
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

My fav is the keyboard solo on "Fragments of Time" with the talkbox
    Last edited by HALENisking; 03-06-2016, 09:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Matt42
    replied

Here's one of my favorite uses for a talk box I've ever heard.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy Diamond
    replied

This is actually my favorite use for the talk box:

Leave a comment:

• blueman335
    replied

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    There are some songs that you just need it:

Frampton

As cool a song as 'Do you Feel' is, I turn it off before the talk box part, as that's gotten old a long time ago. The solos before that are infinitely more interesting. If I were to hear a band do a cover of it, it would be a blessing if they didn't use a talk box.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X