X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BloodRose
    replied
    Re: MXR talk box?

Love all those Aceman!! Thanks!! I forgot about The Zoo!!!

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied

There are some songs that you just need it:

Livin' on a prayer
    The Zoo
    Frampton
    etc…

Leave a comment:

• Securb
    replied

I own the MXR like the Heil it needs a separate rig. The only one I know of that plugs directly into your signal chain is the Rocktron Banshee. What makes the MXR nice is it has its own preamp gain so it is easier to control the distortion. The thing is also built like a tank. I use mine with the Excelsior in the mic input or with my 40 watt keyboard amp both are more than serviceable. You can go way beyond Walsh and Frampton tones with the unit, your imagination is the only barrier. However, like others have said it can be a pain to setup if the gig doesn't have a house PA.

Leave a comment:

• Matt42
    replied

I saw a guy play one of the new MXR ones with an electric banjo. It worked pretty well. It was only for one song, and I'm sure it would have been a bit annoying to hear it much more than that.

Leave a comment:

• BloodRose
    replied

Yeah, thats why Ive never invested in one. First, I figure use would be very limited. Second, the old style pretty much needed a separate rig for it. the mxr, changes that..I have a rack mount Rockman unit, but havent put it into use yet cuz it too, pretty much will require an amp of its own

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

Yeah, man, it can get seriously annoying. I suppose it was interesting in the 70s, as it hadn't yet reached a mass audience yet. I feel bad for Frampton and Walsh- they have to drag that thing out on every tour now. Here is a vintage talk box example...

Leave a comment:

• blueman335
    replied

A little talk box goes a long way; gets annoying very quickly. At home, use it a lot, but on stage...

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied

The Heil (trademark owned by Dunlop now) requires an amp and speaker cable routing because it's basically just a speaker. The MXR, having a built in amplifier makes it much easier to integrate into a rig.

Either way, it's such a specific effect, I'd almost rather get an extreme wah like a Parachute or maybe Colorsound style that will emulate it if you need to cover a tune with talkbox and will also provide a second option to your current wah(s). That is of course unless you have wanted to cover Rocky Mountain Way and Do You Feel Like We Do on a nightly basis.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

I never used a talk box- I figure it is ok for covers of Rocky Mountain Way and Do You Feel Like We Do. However, I heard something cool with a Digitech Talker pedal, where pieces of dialog from movies (or passages from books) were sampled, and then 'played' through the device during the show. It was the first time I heard something more interesting played through such a device.

Leave a comment:

• BloodRose
    started a topic MXR talk box?

MXR talk box?

How is the MXR talk box?? Anyone use one? How do you like it? Can anyone say how it compares to others, such as the Heil?
Working...
X