Getting into the Xotic BB preamp...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting into the Xotic BB preamp...

I've been using my OCD for almost 10 years and my Fat-Boost 3 for a while too, but I'm REALLY liking the BB preamp right now...

I've been hired by a local band to do lead guitar and the rhythm guitarist, who is a good friend of mine, gave me one of the two that he has - he's got a huge pedal collection and gave me the custom shop version with the mid boost.

My OCD is a killer overdrive pedal, but I prefer the Fatboost for cleans. The Fatboost is a great clean booster but not really an OD pedal, though I do like the EQ pots. The BB, for me, seems to take the best of both worlds and put them in one pedal. It makes leads SUPER smooth and liquid, and there's just enough compression to make it fun and even things out. It's great at warming up cleans too. It gives the whole sound a nice organic vibe - it very much feels like a preamp and not so much like a pedal (well, it's right there in the name).

The mid-boost is a nice addition from the standard pedal too, I can fatten up and round out the sound of a brighter guitar to a greater extent with that control.

Anyone else use these things on the regular?

Re: Getting into the Xotic BB preamp...

I've never tried one, but I remember watching Andy Timmons demo one like 10 years ago. Been wanting one since.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
      Fatboost for cleans.
      wait till you try the RC boost
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

...actually, the AC boost is awesome too
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

The BB, AC & RC are staples on pro boards.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I had an RC boost once briefly and I actually do prefer my FatBoost 3 to it. The RC seemed a little too crisp and bright for what i was looking for at that time. I like fat, warm boosts. I've never tried an AC boost.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
              I've never tried one, but I remember watching Andy Timmons demo one like 10 years ago. Been wanting one since.
              Yeah I remember that demo too!

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
                I've never tried an AC boost.
                its like an sd-1 but thicker and harmonically richer. The eq is really useful too.
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                  Now he uses a JHS pedal, and when he demos that it sounds killer too... Apparently it doesn't matter what he plays through

Comment

It's one of my favorite pedals for overdriven sounds AND rolled-off cleans. I'd have bought one, but I'm also in love with a locally-made OD that I have. To the BB's credit, though. My pedal sounds like a more aggressive BB preamp.

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                    Now he uses a JHS pedal, and when he demos that it sounds killer too... Apparently it doesn't matter what he plays through
                    As good as he still sounds, his tone is markedly different now. Back when he used the AT300 and BB preamp, his sound was more smooth and bassy. Now that he's been using the Keeley Blues Driver and that JHS pedal, his sound is much more mid-focused, IMO. But yeah, doesn't matter. I've seen him plug through a desktop Vox and sound great. My music teacher met him (and actually got a quick lesson) in Singapore, IIRC. Super cool dude. He was trying out Fenders, and yeah, he sounded great with that setup too, according to my teacher. A lot of the tone we hear is from the player.
                    Originally posted by Myaccount876
                    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                      Ha, no surprise. First time I'd heard of him was a video where he schooled Joe Satriani.

I was all settled on GASing for a Wampler Hot Wired, Dual Fusion, and Paisley Drive. Add the BB back to the list.
                      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                      X