Fuzz Face Mini collection complete!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuzz Face Mini collection complete!

Well, mostly. I've loved these pint sized Fuzz Faces since they were introduced. Thanks to a sale at PGS I completed the collection (opting for the Chrome version of the Band of Gypsys Fuzz Face)

Here they are in their glory:

From left to right:
    FFM1 - Germanium
    FFM3 - Hendrix BC108 Silicon
    FFM4 - Bonamassa Russian Germanium
    FFM6LE - Band of Gypsys Chrome edition
    FFM2 - BC108 Silicon

The true standouts are the signatures, but I love all of them. The Bonamassa is great for Humbuckers (I especially like it with my Injector loaded Strat) and the Hendrix BC108 is probably most people's ideal Silicon Fuzz Face. That being said, the red germanium is awesome for bassy, stoner type riffs and the Blue Silicon can rip your head off with treble. Something I find cool is to use both the Hendrix (fuzz rolled back a little, rhythm) and Silicon (fuzz maxed, lead) for two different flavors of fuzz. Same goes for the red + Hendrix or Bonamassa + blue. Now of course the BOG is a completely different vibe, you've got to play Machine Gun and Power to Love on it.

I'm kind of feeling like picking up another Red and Blue to modify, Red to AC128 transistors and Blue to BC183 Eric Johnson specs.

Anyway, Jeorge Tripps did a wonderful job on these, unless you are going for the true vintage NKT275 or AC128 Ge tone, one of these should fit most player's needs for a Fuzz Face.

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Re: Fuzz Face Mini collection complete!

They never made an Eric Johnson mini, huh?

I think I bought my full-size Jimi FF from you. I wish they'd make a full-size chrome Band of Gypsies.

That's a cool FF collection. Some of those will be rare finds in the future. I wish companies would discontinue stuff sooner, and never make them in such huge quantities, but for them it's about the money, not our collection hobbies.
    Last edited by Gearjoneser; 03-03-2016, 02:47 AM.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Sweet!
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

thats awesome, i applaud your fuzzy accomplishment! i havent even tried one of the little buggers but id like to get one that sounds the fattest

Comment

I think the Bonamassa is the fattest and most polite. The Eric Johnson is gainiest and has the most of that blatty/sputtery thing going on.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Good to know. I'll see if I can find one to try out

Comment

Thats pretty badass.

One of these days I'll pick up the Hendrix (teal one). Hopefully.
              Originally posted by Aceman
              It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                They never made an Eric Johnson mini, huh?

I think I bought my full-size Jimi FF from you. I wish they'd make a full-size chrome Band of Gypsies.

That's a cool FF collection. Some of those will be rare finds in the future. I wish companies would discontinue stuff sooner, and never make them in such huge quantities, but for them it's about the money, not our collection hobbies.
                Thanks man! I used the GJ approved method of scouring ebay, craigslist, GC used, etc. All except the chrome BOG was deeply discounted and still in like new condition.

I still have the copper Bonamassa fuzz for collectibility, but the mini is so much more pedalboard friendly with the smaller size, LED and 9V power jack. Now I can pop in the one that suits my fancy and guitar for the night.

The FFM5 Mini Eric Johnson only exists as a supposed prototype on Jeorge Tripps' twitter feed...

Tough to say if I should modify a blue for that tone or just get a real EJ big box.

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                thats awesome, i applaud your fuzzy accomplishment! i havent even tried one of the little buggers but id like to get one that sounds the fattest
                Personally I think the red Germanium one is the "fattest", it's higher gain than the Bonamassa and "woofier" on the bottom. It's a little less polite and a bigger bottom than the NKT275 Sunface.

Originally posted by ex-250 View Post
                Thats pretty badass.

One of these days I'll pick up the Hendrix (teal one). Hopefully.
                I really feel like it's the every-man's fuzz face, it sounds good with a multitude of guitars and amps.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Nice collection!

Comment

Cool! Someday they should make ones that are 10 times the size with a lot of extra space inside.

That chrome one is crazy

Comment

I'm jealous! I've got the Hendrix one myself. It really is exactly what I want a fuzz face to sound like (not that I wouldn't mind having a germanium around!)

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                        Cool! Someday they should make ones that are 10 times the size with a lot of extra space inside.

That chrome one is crazy
                        Have you seen inside a fuzz face?

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Very cool. Do they sound the same as their bigger brothers?

Comment

Originally posted by d1dsj View Post
                            Very cool. Do they sound the same as their bigger brothers?
                            I'd say that within tolerance they do. Same transistors, same capacitors, just the resistors are SMT, but they are tighter tolerance than resistors used on old pedals. They have internal bias trimmers to set the transistor bias as well. Basically whatever fluctuations in transistor spec, but that's the same for any fuzz.

So yeah, pretty darn close! Plus the LED, 9V and right to left signal path make them super pedalboard friendly, easily swapping out one for another.
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Cool, thanks for that. I'd like a Hendrix and a JB so will keep my eyes open for any deals.

Comment

Working...
                              X