Anyone using a FISHMAN AURA pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using a FISHMAN AURA pedal?

I was looking at alternatives for recording acoustic guitar tracks and was torn between the TC Body Rez and Fishman Aura; but then I saw an Aura Sixteen for a great price on Reverb and decided to pull the trigger. Am very excited to try it out!

I am wondering if anyone else here is using an Aura for recording or gigging with acoustic guitar. A friend of mine has the Spectrum DI and absolutely loves it.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: Anyone using a FISHMAN AURA pedal?

If you're just recording, a free option would be to find some appropriate acoustic IRs (I think that there might be some Aura ones out there) and use an IR plugin in your DAW. If you go down that path, you can hit me up via PM. I have some nice acoustic IRs I can send to ya. I'm particularly fond of some Taylor captures I have.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
    My Music

Comment

I have the Aura, and it's the best thing I ever bought as far as recording with my acoustic. A mic is sometimes a hassle, and my room sucks so I spent so much time setting up in a corner with duvets, mic screens and what not for reflective absorbtion.

No more. So I highly recommend it if you want something that sounds great, works wonders and is easy (that's a big one IMO).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I played with one with my piezo for a while. I was trying to get a more realistic acoustic sound from the pickup and the Aura did the job. The only reason I backed off from it was I didn't want two signal chains live. Nevertheless they are great pedals you are going to love it. I am looking forward to hearing what you think of it.

Comment

Thanks so much for the helpful replies!

Comment

Originally posted by aleclee View Post
            If you're just recording, a free option would be to find some appropriate acoustic IRs (I think that there might be some Aura ones out there) and use an IR plugin in your DAW. If you go down that path, you can hit me up via PM. I have some nice acoustic IRs I can send to ya. I'm particularly fond of some Taylor captures I have.
            Thanks! I have an Ovation Legend, and I actually do not mind the DI tone, it's very much a part of the sounds I grew up with, but realize I am in the minority in that one.
            I will shoot you a PM for sure, it would be interesting to compare/contrast.

As for playing through a stomp box for recording, that doesn't affect me one way or another as I use outboard compression and tape saturation anyway.

Comment

I bought one years back with hope to make my live sound more realistic. (I play a Taylor 310CE) I must say it did make an improvement but not as much as I had hoped for. But what made me put the thing in a drawer was that it made me feel disconnected from what I was playing. It sounded good but felt bad. Kinda like I was listening to somebody else playing the guitar. Now I don't think I'd hesitate to pull it out for recording (though I'd run microphones as well). In that setting it wouldn't bother me so much. But for live use, no. I can't entertain and feel disconnected from my instrument...I suspect it's the latency of the effect that I'm sensing that causes that feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxx View Post
                I bought one years back with hope to make my live sound more realistic. (I play a Taylor 310CE) I must say it did make an improvement but not as much as I had hoped for. But what made me put the thing in a drawer was that it made me feel disconnected from what I was playing. It sounded good but felt bad. Kinda like I was listening to somebody else playing the guitar. Now I don't think I'd hesitate to pull it out for recording (though I'd run microphones as well). In that setting it wouldn't bother me so much. But for live use, no. I can't entertain and feel disconnected from my instrument...I suspect it's the latency of the effect that I'm sensing that causes that feeling.
                I have played some big gigs where the monitoring was so bad that I couldn't hear my guitar at all -- it's VERY disconcerting to play and feel like you are not getting anything back and relying purely on muscle memory!

Comment

The Fishman Aura is designed to work with an under-saddle transducer and will not work very well with Taylor's Expression System.

I have the Spectrum DI, and it works great with my UST guitars. It was exceptional at warming up my 2002 Taylor 710CE with its Fishman Stereo Prefix Blend system. Made it easier to get a decent sound at Open Mics, when I am not running the sound. My Ibanez Artwood has a basic Fishman, and it works well for that guitar too. I haven't used it with my Takamine EF381 12-strings.

I also have a Martin DC AURA and a new HD-28E Retro. The AURA systems in these new Martins is SO GOOD and very natural sounding, I haven't needed to use the Spectrum DI with them.

I am very happy with the Spectrum Aura DI. I can see using it for recording, but my preference is always going to be for a great mic in a great room.

There are several new products on the market from Fishman, BBE, Baggs, Radial et. al. for acoustic guitar. Good stuff.

Bill
                  When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I think it's safe to say we ALL prefer a great mic in a great room, preferably with a great guitar, great engineer, and great song as well.

Comment

I love the way a Legend sounds, but I am in the minority too. I have an Adamas, and I love the natural sound. However, I do also like the Mama Bear, which kinda does the same thing. I use it for other acoustics I have.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The thing is, I use Silk& Steels on my Ovation; it tames a lot of that zingy-ness and the bass strings have a nice, warm compression to them.

Comment

First test with the Aura:

Comment

Gave the Aura a serious play last night and I must say, that is some powerful processing. I can see where the Spectrum DI takes it to the next level, though - compression is a must, and having the loop is a great asset. I have to play with putting compression before and after the Sixteen, and it makes me want to get a really nice unit like a Cali 76, or Warm Audio 76.

There are so many images that it will take days to sort through them all. One thing that I found is that by using the same image with different microphones and by using the Phase switch, you can get a lot of tonal variation without the hassle and phase issues of traditional mic'ing.

The other thing I learned is that although Fishman recommends blending a similar (or identical) image, I found the Ovation Celebrity image to sound inferior to the DI sound of my Legend! I was also disappointed by the Rainsong images, which surprised me as I love their guitars!

My favourite blends thus far have been with Collings and Gibson.

I have no clue how Fishman pulled this off but the Aura is a great tool and put a new lease on my acoustic recordings.

Comment

Working...
                            X