banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone explain this to me? (A/B/Y EHX Switchblade Questions)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone explain this to me? (A/B/Y EHX Switchblade Questions)

Part A

I was reading a review of the EHX Switchblade+ and stumbled across this:
    "It also features a tuner out that can be used in the standard fashion, or as a separate effects send to another pedal or pedals."
    Could someone explain to me how this would function and play out in a scenario? Simple simple explanation please-- assume I'm a four year old. Might as well be...

Part B

I'm picking up this pedal used as part of a trade tomorrow, and I'm honestly just brainstorming some uses for it. It can obviously A/B between amps... Could it be used as a true bypass looper? I have a flanger that I wouldn't mind being able to true bypass.
    Idk, any ideas/suggestions are very welcome!
    Within the glow that weaves a cloak of delight ... There moves a thread that has no end
    Yours is the cloth, mine is the hand that sews time ... For me, the cloth once more to spin
    At last the arm is straight, the hand to the loom ... Is this to end or just begin?

sigpic My guitars + better pics

Re: Can someone explain this to me? (A/B/Y EHX Switchblade Questions)

as far as i know its just a passive a/b switch. three jacks Y, A, B. Y is always active, the footswitch selects between A or B. you could use it to switch between guitars or amps or two effects chains.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      as far as i know its just a passive a/b switch. three jacks Y, A, B. Y is always active, the footswitch selects between A or B. you could use it to switch between guitars or amps or two effects chains.
      I appreciate the response, I do realize it's a bit of a mundane question... just trying to comprehend all options.
      The review I quoted is still a bit unclear to me though. If you were to use the tuner out as a send, wouldn't you need a return?
      Within the glow that weaves a cloak of delight ... There moves a thread that has no end
      Yours is the cloth, mine is the hand that sews time ... For me, the cloth once more to spin
      At last the arm is straight, the hand to the loom ... Is this to end or just begin?

Comment

ah, ok. im only familiar with the switchblade nano, not the plus. i just took a look at the + and its different.

it is an aby switch. one input, the tuner out is always active. the A and B outs are selectable by the footswitch A or B or A+B. im not sure how you would use it as a true bypass loop since there is no return.

Comment

I'm thinking it's a single-ended output, like a direct out.
          Originally posted by Brown Note
          I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
          My Blog

Comment

Does anyone know if you can go both directions? Like say you wanted take guitar into Y out to Amp A and Amp B OR Guitar 1 into A and Guitar 2 into B all out into Amp Y?
            Last edited by treyhaislip; 03-08-2016, 08:18 AM. Reason: Half thought that out lol

Comment

Looks like it is all passive, power is only for LED status.

Beware impedance loading with this design, in "Y" mode, one input is connected to all three outputs in parallel. Even in A/B mode you have a situation like the passive Ernie Ball Volume Pedal. (If you are driving the switchblade, everything should be OK, if it's first after guitar or after on TB pedals, you may notice high end roll off.)
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                Does anyone know if you can go both directions? Like say you wanted take guitar into Y out to Amp A and Amp B OR Guitar 1 into A and Guitar 2 into B all out into Amp Y?
                i know that works fine on the switchblade nano

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  i know that works fine on the switchblade nano
                  Thanks! I need a pedal that will do that.

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
                    I'm thinking it's a single-ended output, like a direct out.
                    Ok, thank you!
                    I guess I really just need the try stuff out when I pick it up

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                      http://www.ehx.com/products/switchbl...s/instructions

Looks like it is all passive, power is only for LED status.

Beware impedance loading with this design, in "Y" mode, one input is connected to all three outputs in parallel. Even in A/B mode you have a situation like the passive Ernie Ball Volume Pedal. (If you are driving the switchblade, everything should be OK, if it's first after guitar or after on TB pedals, you may notice high end roll off.)
                      So basically you're saying to avoid this you need a buffer in front it?

Comment

Originally posted by HALENisking View Post
                        So basically you're saying to avoid this you need a buffer in front it?
                        It'll be up to you and your tonal preference. It may be unnoticeable or acceptable, or it might bother you. Just posting idly so you are aware if something seems different or "off".

Also, to clarify, you'd be sending the Tuner on a "dead end", there's no return path.
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                          It'll be up to you and your tonal preference. It may be unnoticeable or acceptable, or it might bother you. Just posting idly so you are aware if something seems different or "off".

Also, to clarify, you'd be sending the Tuner on a "dead end", there's no return path.
                          Rad. I appreciate the input, as always.

Comment

If it's in the budget, consider and "active" ABY ... assuming you are just looking to split the outputs, and don't need to be able to select two inputs. Radial has the Twin City which is real popular. I use a Fulltone True-Path. They are both about $160 though. There are others as well.

Comment

Working...
                            X