replied
    Re: Buffers and True Bypass

I see you dangling there!!

Leave a comment:

• blueman335
    replied

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
    people are too hung up on gear as it is.

You take that back right now!

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied

I've always thought that electric guitars should always have been buffered from the git-go. Pickups are Hi-Z output. Not good for transmitting an audio signal. Granted, a buffer needs some minute amount of power, but we've had phantom powered mics long before the electric guitar was invented. All electric guitars plug into an amp, that's plugged into a wall socket. Why haven't they been phantom powered from day one?

Leave a comment:

• Dave Locher
    replied

It's funny - I have now watched several videos going on and on about how you must have a buffer and the guitar always sounds better to me without it! Always. I guess I'm "that guy" they always talk about. (You know, "that guy who likes the mellow tone the long cord creates.")

Leave a comment:

• devastone
    replied

There is not right or wrong really, just what works for you when you get down to it.
    Amen...

Leave a comment:

• Vasshu the humanoid typhoon
    replied

Ah on a more serious account.
    It depends on what you want!
    For people who wants pristin'ish sounds, modern "perfection" or what ever, expensive cables and buffers in and out, neat amps and all that, then high to low impedance is the way to go.

For others who wants a more oldschool tone, then combine abit, use old style amps, who does not mind that it is a compromise, there is 3dpdt bypass pedals and some old Japanese pedals, ok well working cable that can stand the rigors of the road etc. etc.

Or even more oldschool, few pedals and walking caps (cables of old times) who just turns up their amps some more, give it alittle more on the precense and such.

What ever works for you, people are too hung up on gear as it is.
    There is not right or wrong really, just what works for you when you get down to it.

Leave a comment:

• Chickenwings
    replied

crybabys used to give me the ****s back in the 90s, way back before i knew anything about true bypass or any of that stuff. I know many greats did not let it worry them, but hey, we all have our own ears and preferences.

Leave a comment:

• devastone
    replied

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
    I like the idea of just shutting up and playing, but i prefer just shutting up and playing when everything sounds and feels good to me.
    Can't argue that, if it sounds bad it's hard to enjoy playing, wasn't saying anything to the contrary, just that sometimes stuff we worry about too much today sounded fine a few years ago.

BTW, your gif cracked me up ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Chickenwings
    replied

Good, bad, indifferent, on the fence, user of many pedals or user of none....i just like my guitar to sound like it does when i'm using 20ish foot of cable straight into the amp.
    Sometimes that means using a buffer or two, sometimes it doesn't depending on how many pedals and which pedals i have in my chain. It really irks me when my core guitar/amp sound gets noticeably compromised when everything is turned off. There is no single perfect solution that suits everyone. Some people like the sound of a whole bunch of cable, some people like the sound you get when you run through a bunch of various things. Me, cos i mostly use no stomps, i try to keep that sound as my baseline.
    I like the idea of just shutting up and playing, but i prefer just shutting up and playing when everything sounds and feels good to me.
    Last edited by Chickenwings; 03-07-2016, 09:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• devastone
    replied

Of course, how do you think Hendrix got such a warm tone from his strat, curly cord to non-TB wah, to some non-TB, non-buffered pedals, to another long cord straight to his amps. Seems like he was more into playing and seeing what he could get out of what he had than putting the little tidbits under a microscope.

But, I digress...

So, Nils, you don't like buffers? Or do you think they can be a good thing if properly used? Or, it doesn't matter just shut up and play?

Don't want to debate, just curious.

Leave a comment:

• Little Pigbacon
    Guest replied

Face it!!!
    Put a bypass on the cord.....it needs to be telling the truth and not be buff...or low to high or was it high to low tide?
    Is the bypass switchable? Because the sonic integrity of the switch must be subject to question. Eventually the tonal mojo of a pedal's bypass/buffer switch will become a selling point.

Leave a comment:

replied

Face it!!!
    Put a bypass on the cord.....it needs to be telling the truth and not be buff...or low to high or was it high to low tide?

Leave a comment:

• Little Pigbacon
    Guest replied

My preference is to have a switch to select either true bypass or buffered bypass. But I'm not going to post that until I've watched all three videos. Oh... wait... too late.

Leave a comment:

replied

Let's make something to plunder the wallets of guitarplayers

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied

Anthony at Texas Blues Alley was the first I saw that did a video like this:

That Pedal a Show just did a great one too:

...and only the true nerds made it through all three videos.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X