Cables.. Anyone used these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cables.. Anyone used these?

Need some cables for my new pedal board. Ive not heard of this brand, (GLS) nor have I used this type of connector before. The connectors are flat right angle, so would work great for between pedals. Anyone familiar with them?

Thanks!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Cables.. Anyone used these?

I've never heard of them but that shape would be useful in some scenarios.

FWIW, I use Fender Tweed Cables and have had no issues, love tweed.

Comment

I have a few of the GLS mic XLR cables

They are OK just budget cables

I get them because they don't have the molded ends which allows me to fix them
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I've used the Hosa equivalent for years...no problems.

Comment

They are called "pancake" connectors.

I don't know the cables but the connectors are fine. Cheaper version of the Switchcraft. They have fiber insulators and also have a tab for soldering the shield which is a bit easier than soldering to the connector housing. I believe that they are the same as those sold under the Redco brand name. At any rate, decent enough connector but I cant comment on the cable they use to make them. I assume they should work fine.
          Last edited by Darg1911; 03-08-2016, 02:33 PM.

Comment

I also use the Hosa, I echo the comments on the connector.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I have bunch of the gls right angle plugs. They are nice. Much nicer than generic right angle plugs. Not exactly the same, but they are comparable to switchcraft in terms of build quality.
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

The cables are so short they should be fine,especially if they are after a buffer. Not sure if I would want to run 10 - 20 ft of it from my guitar without knowing a little more about it though. And, I am not a connoisseur of booteek cables, I just use ones that work and sound good to me, usually George L's and Lava on my pedalboard and to the amp, and a Spectraflex or a few others from my guitar to the board.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                  Need some cables for my new pedal board. Ive not heard of this brand, (GLS) nor have I used this type of connector before. The connectors are flat right angle, so would work great for between pedals. Anyone familiar with them?

Thanks!
                  Reading the online reviews I noticed a guy saying that the plugs only protrude 1/4 inch and that changing from planet waves cables the 6 inch cables freed up enough space to allow him to fit one more pedal. Sez they are noise free and better made...I would give them a try and probably will on my board, though what I have is working at this time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                    The cables are so short they should be fine,especially if they are after a buffer. Not sure if I would want to run 10 - 20 ft of it from my guitar without knowing a little more about it though. And, I am not a connoisseur of booteek cables, I just use ones that work and sound good to me, usually George L's and Lava on my pedalboard and to the amp, and a Spectraflex or a few others from my guitar to the board.
                    I use those plugs, where appropriate, and a fairly low C cable (30pf/ft). GLS sells cable in bulk or in kits with plugs to make your own. Since they don't give specs on the cable, I imagine that it's not low C stuff. Point being, I agree with your comment on a buffer. They are probably fine for a short chain, or any chain with a buffer or buffered bypass early in the chain.

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxx View Post
                      I've used the Hosa equivalent for years...no problems.
                      Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                      I also use the Hosa, I echo the comments on the connector.
                      +3 on the Hosa they are the furthest down the food chain I will go with budget cables. IIFC Hosa even has a couple of different levels of quality/components.

Comment

Thanks all! Yeah, was leary cuz they are budget cables and not familiar with the brand. Also, bought a chord years ago with that type of connector and it didnt hold up well. but I figure using it on a board, they wont get unplugged often.
                        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I bought these GLS pancake connectors and they are working great and were much easier to solder than some I've used from other manufacturers.

There is another very recent thread about cables, and if you are into wiring your own it's hard to beat the
                          CA-0446 cable sold by Best Tronics for low capacitance, low noise, and great flexibility.
                          I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
                            I bought these GLS pancake connectors and they are working great and were much easier to solder than some I've used from other manufacturers.

There is another very recent thread about cables, and if you are into wiring your own it's hard to beat the
                            CA-0446 cable sold by Best Tronics for low capacitance, low noise, and great flexibility.
                            Thanks for the heads up on the cable. I'll try it next time I need some. If you don't need the black/gold pancakes, you can save 10 bucks. I buy the nickel GLS pancakes on amazon. 20 for $29.99 http://www.amazon.com/GLS-Audio-Prof...gls+connectors

Comment

I wanted the black just for looks on the pedalboard.
                              I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Working...
                              X