AMT SS-11B: Anyone tried it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AMT SS-11B: Anyone tried it?

That's definitely weird about the sim switch, pretty much opposite of what it is supposed to do, the speaker sim should roll off a lot of the highs and fatten it up. It also reduces the signal level some.

And yes, they aren't made to run into the front of an amp, it will be noisy and not sound that great.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
      Yes, it's my amp. It's not really a pedal, it's a 3 channel preamp on the floor, but I think you get that. I have one on my pedalboard with a phase, flanger, and overdrive in front and a TC delay and reverb in the AMT's loop. The output goes to a ISP Stealth power amp for cabs or you can turn on the cab sim and run direct, unfortunately it's either or, there is only one output as opposed to the SS-30 which had separate outputs for power amp or cab sim.

It runs the tubes at the proper high voltages, not starved and sounds great. It has a lot of gain on the lead channel, but it kind of depends on what kind of music you play, it's more 80s/90s Vai, Lynch, maybe Moore type gain, I wouldn't quite call it modern metal.

FWIW, I've actually used the SS-11B, the SS-20, and the SS-30 and they all sound great, the 30 is FET and I really liked it too, they are all just different flavors.
      The SS-20 is probably closer to modern metal than the 11A, the 30 can probably bridge the gap between the styles better, can get a little nastier than the tube ones. I actually had the 11A and the 30 at the same time and had trouble deciding which one to keep. The 20's downfall is that it's more 2-1/2 channels than 3, the crunch and lead channels have separate gain controls, but share the same volume control, although it may have been my favorite sounding one.

Hope this helps, lots of demos on youtube of all of them, definitely check them out, the demos by people that can actually play are pretty accurate.

Of course this video may nullify my statement about the 11b and modern metal.

Point is, I recommend all of them, depends on your style.
      How is the SS-11B for metal? It says it's a modern, more 'metal' oriented version of the SS11.
      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

I know, it is very odd. That's why I think it's broken. It thins everything out and it does lower the signal. I'll just use it with the to amp switch up and lower the gain on the mixer a lot. It sounds great though. I'm very satified with the purchase. Thanks a lot for all your help.
        Guitars:
        Schecter E-1 FR S (Sustaniac/Apocalypse), LEF EXP (Mayhem Set), Schecter C-1 Classic (Jazz/Distortion), Squire Affinity Strat (Hotrails)

Amps:
        Peavey MX VTX, Bugera 333x Infinium

Pedals:
        AMT SS-11B

Comment

It really does sound great. It's very tight and clear. I like how the tremolo picking and the triplets sound on this thing as it very full bodied. When you turn on the bright switches it adds a lot more life to the entire pedal and makes it stand out. It sounds like an enormous wall of metal, and I think it sounds very transparent when refering to the player. I really transmits the players energy. My friend and I played it and the soudn that came out was just different.
          Guitars:
          Schecter E-1 FR S (Sustaniac/Apocalypse), LEF EXP (Mayhem Set), Schecter C-1 Classic (Jazz/Distortion), Squire Affinity Strat (Hotrails)

Amps:

Pedals:
          AMT SS-11B

Comment

Haven't heard from you in ages by the way.
            The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

It has been a long time. I'll send you a pm if I can remember how.
              Guitars:

Amps:

Pedals:
              AMT SS-11B

Comment

Working...
              X