• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archer250
    replied
    Re: Angry Charlie for Sale @ Sweetwater

Originally posted by devastone View Post
    I stand corrected, thanks. I had it confused with the CmatMods Brownie, sorry about that.
    No problem

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• devastone
    replied

Originally posted by Archer250 View Post
    No. It isn't. It is supposed to be a tweaked Marshall Guv'Nor (Josh of JHS claims this) that uses OPAmps and LEDs. It's definitely a distortion box.
    I stand corrected, thanks. I had it confused with the CmatMods Brownie, sorry about that.

Leave a comment:

• Chickenwings
    replied

Originally posted by marytakesadrag View Post
    by far
    Originally posted by marytakesadrag View Post
    one of
    lol
    Last edited by Chickenwings; 03-10-2016, 10:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Archer250
    replied

Originally posted by devastone View Post
    I haven't played either pedal, but I know the Angry Charlie is an overdriven FET design

No. It isn't. It is supposed to be a tweaked Marshall Guv'Nor (Josh of JHS claims this) that uses OPAmps and LEDs. It's definitely a distortion box.

Of course, the reason it's asked is because many people have claimed that its circuitry is cloned from the Crunch Box (I personally know a few guys who opened the back and confirmed this). Of course, many people are skeptical of this claim as well. An interesting point to note is that most people who have played both says that they sound quite different. I have for a brief point played the Crunch Box, and I must say that I like the Charlie a slight bit more, but in terms of dynamics and general sound, they're not too far off.

I do have a tweaked (more low mids and bass) crunchbox-style pedal with the present knob on the outside, and guess what? With the controls at the same place, it is near-identical to the Charlie, but only with more bass.
    Last edited by Archer250; 03-10-2016, 06:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• trevorus
    replied

I have some serious reservations about JHS and their pedals. I think they're hype, clones, and Hipster ******d. I don't buy the ****.

Leave a comment:

• devastone
    replied

I haven't played either pedal, but I know the Angry Charlie is an overdriven FET design, like the BSIAB and similar pedals, the Crunch Box is more of a typical distortion box that uses an opamp with diodes for clipping (LEDs IIRC), I think it is more along the lines of a Marshall Guv'nor with just a tone control.

My <$0.02 of trivial info...

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied

Hmmm... I wonder how it sounds compared to the MI Audio Crunch Box?

Here's the link BTW: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AngryCharlie
    Last edited by PFDarkside; 03-10-2016, 06:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• marytakesadrag
    started a topic Angry Charlie for Sale @ Sweetwater

Angry Charlie for Sale @ Sweetwater

So out of all the Marshall-in-a-box pedals, JHS Angry Charlie is by far one of my faves. If anyone like buying new pedals, Sweetwater is having a blowout, selling it for $50 cheaper than usual, making it $150 which in my opinion is a great deal.

Just thought I share the intel! And no, I don't work for Sweetwater haha
Working...
X