X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ThisDyingSoul76
    replied
    Re: NPD x 2

Now the next question... I kind of like the trebly bite of this pedal and think it would stack really well with something that is voiced more toward the lower side of the frequency spectrum and on its own would be great for cutting through the mix if there is a wall of sound of guitar tracks. ...and it doesn't seem to be a very common pedal that I've noticed, not in my area anyway.

I'm tempted to mod it for more volume and even to add more bass, but I only realized after I got this pedal home I was looking at the Japanese version and not the Tiawan version. I'll destroy the resale value. I'll have to really think about this because if I'm keeping the pedal, it doesn't matter... I can even use mini toggle switches to switch between the stock configuration and my mods; but if I'm selling it, people tend to run from modded gear around here even if they like the result unless it has the names Keeley, Analog Man, or some other reputable company offering professional modding services associated with it.

Leave a comment:

• ThisDyingSoul76
    replied

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
    Wow, nice Macguiver'ing.
    Thanks! coming from a technical support background I sometimes find myself thinking outside the box to find solutions. This time was just a matter of finding the right stuff to get my parts from.

While I'm relatively new to the business of modding and repairing electronic (computer techs are not usually expected to wield a soldering iron and replace individual components permanently soldered to a PCB) I'm discovering that by learning to do such repairs gear is going to come my way either free or very cheaply. I'm tempted to start putting it out there to my friends on Facebook that if they have gear they'd otherwise toss out, to give it to me and I'll give it a new life by repairing it, using parts to repair other pieces or using them in my DIY builds.

Leave a comment:

• TwilightOdyssey
    replied

Wow, nice Macguiver'ing.

Leave a comment:

• ThisDyingSoul76
    replied

And, in the next couple of weeks I'm also bringing home a Solid Gold Sound Labs N.O.B. Treble booster I put on layaway at the local pawn shop and I just won an auction on eBay for a DIY Fuzz Face clone kit. So in the next month I can expect at least 2 more NPD's. Lol

Leave a comment:

• ThisDyingSoul76
    started a topic NPD x 2

NPD x 2

A high school buddy of mine messaged me on Facebook with a bunch of pedals he was selling a few days ago.

I went out to his place to check them out and came home with a Caline Blue Ocean for $10 and also a vintage Japanese Boss Turbo Overdrive that he gave me for free after he couldn't get it to work when showing me.

The Caline delay sounds great and the decay is quite different from my Visual Sound H2O in that as the repeats continue they degrade on the low end frequencies as opposed to losing high end.

I do pedal mods so I decided to have a look at the Boss OD2 and see if I could figure out why it wouldn't work. I was told if I could fix it, I could have it for free. He already knew that the AC Jack was no good, but said it worked on batteries last time he used it, so I opened up the pedal and examined the PCB, wiring, etc and couldn't see anything wrong; but when you plugged into it the LED wouldn't work and nothing but horrible noise from the amp. I decided to double check by taking everything out of the housing and then compare the wiring to another Japanese Boss pedal I owned and confirmed it was all wired correctly. Then, I had the "aha" moment... Where was the plastic shield that goes between the cover plate and the PCB? There was none. Cut one from a piece of clam shell packaging and reassembled the pedal and tested. It now works on batteries. The circuit. Was being shorted out on the cover plate.

Now, to address the faulty jack. It was melted. Obviously someone connected the wrong power supply to it and fried the Jack. I had an old pedal laying around I couldn't repair so it became an organ donor. I took the Jack from it and soldered it into the Boss and now have a fully functional vintage Boss pedal that averages $70 on eBay.... And I got it free. It doesn't sound bad either. Some feel it lacks bass but to me, I'd likely use another pedal for rhythm tones and stack this with it as a lead boost. The treble from this pedal will cut through nicely and it doesn't have the fizziness of the modern Chinese version.
Working...
X