Running through effects loop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running through effects loop

Hey peeps I have an Egnater tourmaster 424. The effects loop send and return have individual level controls. Im currently running my delay and reverb through this effects loop. I have Both levels at about 75%- But when I click off the effects loop my volume drops. Should I be running the loop this hot or should it be set so when I turn it off there's no volume difference? There's also a parallel or series switch for the effects loop. What's best way to set this up to get the best sound? Any pointers😁

Re: Running through effects loop

Try it in parallel with the mix on both pedals set at max. Then blend the effects in (on the amp, there is a blend pot, right?) until you get what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah...Vince has a point.

You are going to have to take in to consideration the levels of your individual effects in your loops.

Try it Vince's way and then start finding an equilibrium between your effects levels and then your loop level. You may not necessarily want your effects pedals trainwrecked.
      For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

There isn't a blend pot per say but individual levels for send and return.I'll definitely try what you said! But theoretically should the independent levels be set the same or should there always be more Send than return or vice versa?

Comment

But I do have a mix control on both reverb and delay.

Comment

Personally, I used the serial loop, setting mix on the pedals. Use the send level to send a strong signal the the pedals that doesn't clip, use the return to set the level the same (or boosted if that's your preference) between bypass and engaged.

That's my strategy anyway.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The mix control on the units themselves determines how much of the output signal is the effect and how much of it is just passing the incoming signal to the output. You set these according to the effect you're going for. If you're using a slapback setting for the delay, setting its mix to 100% wet will give you only the effected signal and no source/dry signal: you'll hit the string but won't hear an immediate response.

In a similar vein, setting the reverb mix to 100% wet with a high predelay and a large room will give you a decent reverse reverb effect, but again, you won't hear an immediate response.

The Send/Return levels on the amp CAN be set so there is no volume change when turning the effects on/off (which I would think you should do rather than turning the loop itself on/off).

The Send sends signal to the Return, and the Return (typically) sends the signal to the power section. I would guess the Send's level control affects the signal going out of the Send, and the Return's level control affects the level of the signal coming into the Return? I'm not familiar with this amp, but I've seen similar controls on rack gear for decades, which employed two different methods.

This would be so you can get a specific mix when running your Send out to either another head or power amp or recording input and not overload the input to that unit, and so that underpowered gear coming into the Return that may not have an output level control (or an effective range) could be boosted somewhat to a matched level.

You'd have to know the amp's specific setup of how the loop works to determine why it's like that, but in general, yes, you do want the loop to have the same volume Off as it does On. Unless you're running some sort of signal boost in the loop for solos.
              Originally posted by Brown Note
              I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
              My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by RileyJ1 View Post
                Hey peeps I have an Egnater tourmaster 424. The effects loop send and return have individual level controls. Im currently running my delay and reverb through this effects loop. I have Both levels at about 75%- But when I click off the effects loop my volume drops. Should I be running the loop this hot or should it be set so when I turn it off there's no volume difference? There's also a parallel or series switch for the effects loop. What's best way to set this up to get the best sound? Any pointers��
                The send / return level controls are intended to be used so that volume is the same with the loop either on or off. Another option (as suggested) is to run the loop slightly louder when on as a solo boost.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                X