EP preamp type pedal without delay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP preamp type pedal without delay

So, there's the Xotic EP Booster, the ClinchFX EP-Pre, the Orbit Maestro Booster MB-3, and a few others... The reason I put no delay in the title is that I know somebody will suggest the Bell Epoch but I have delay out the wazoo and don't need ANOTHER delay.

So, what have you guys used? What do you think? I know the Xotic is popular, but the circuit isn't accurate and I wonder, does it sound like an old Echoplex with the delay off?
    Nope...

Re: EP preamp type pedal without delay

I've never gotten to actually use a real Echoplex, so I can't attest to accuracy. I can tell you that the EP Booster sounds fantastic whether used as a boost or an always on pedal. The Dunlop Echoplex Preamp sounds fantastic as well, and I might prefer it for an always-on application, but the build quality on the Xotic is probably a bit more hefty feeling. Those are the only two I have experience with.

Comment

What are you trying to achieve, tonally?
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
        What are you trying to achieve, tonally?
        I want that roundness that the Maestro EP3 seemed to give to the notes on Led Zep, Van Halen, etc. Not looking for a ton of gain, otherwise I'd immediately just go "OK, Xotic EP Booster!" plus I already have a TCE Spark Mini that COOKS.
        Nope...

Comment

Xotic EP Boost is always on at unity for me, then I turn it up a little for single coils. The only way I can describe it is that it gives more of what your guitar already gives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
            I want that roundness that the Maestro EP3 seemed to give to the notes on Led Zep, Van Halen, etc. Not looking for a ton of gain, otherwise I'd immediately just go "OK, Xotic EP Booster!" plus I already have a TCE Spark Mini that COOKS.
            I agree, the Spark is fabu. The EP Booster will def add the colourations you are looking for. There are a couple of pedals that I can definitely recommend that will add gobs of character/warmth, but they are definitely in the next price bracket, two, or three from the EP. I think, in price oder, they are:

- Bogner Harlow. Set to unity gain and the compressor bloom just ticking in, you get all that Neve transformer goodness and saturation without busting the bank.

- strymon DECO. Amazing sounding pedal, adds gobs of tape preamp/tape head colouration and saturation. It also has a very limited amount of tape delay, but it's really made for saturation, zero through chorus and flange.

- JHS Colour Box. Neve console in a stomp box. Ton of colour, amazing range of tones. Not, not, not cheap.
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

It's been too long since I played through an Echoplex to remember how it compares, but I really like the EP Booster for an always on, rounder, warmer, fuller, bigger tone.

As mentioned, it just makes the guitar tone better. I don't use it for any noticeable boost and it is the last pedal in my chain.

Comment

How does the EP work for relatively high-output humbuckers in a Gibson? (Super Distortion, M22SD)
                Most of the reviews I read seem to be from strat and tele players.

Comment

I've parted with this info a number of times in some form here over the years.

Just because the box is silkscreened "EP" or "Echoplex", does not automatically make it the real deal.

It's all in the circuit, and stomps like EP Booster, Dunlop Echoplex, etc are fakes.

If you want the authentic Echoplex circuit tone, here's two clues:

1) TIS58

2) running at 22-24 volts

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
                    I want that roundness that the Maestro EP3 seemed to give to the notes on Led Zep, Van Halen, etc.
                    How did Hendrix get such warm tones from a strat?

Long curly cables with high capacitance, non-TB/non-buffered pedals, all the things we say wrecks tone now days.

Comment

Working...
                    X