I Love Multi-Modulation Pedals.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Love Multi-Modulation Pedals.

I'll premise this with the fact that I'm not super big on modulation. I like my TR-2 Tremolo, and I enjoy a good analog phaser (subtle ones, like the Phase45 or the DOD Phasor). Chorus has never really been my thing.

But, sometimes a client or bandleader will look at me and ask for some tremolo, or chorus, or vibrato, or phaser, etc. I can't justify all the pedal real estate (or the cost!) of having one of each of these pedals that I might use on one song out of a dozen sessions, so I started looking for a multi-modulation option!

Can't afford a Strymon Mobius (but how I wish I could), so I found out about the Donner Alchemy though a GearMannDude video. I ended up buying his, and I love it! The sounds are sound pretty darn good and are very tweakable.

Are any of you guys using multi-modulation or any other sort of multi-pedal/single pedal combination rig?

Re: I Love Multi-Modulation Pedals.

I'm not big on lots of modulation either, but sometimes the song just calls for it (I will say, though, that I like some chorus, but only if it's light... not real bouncy or spongy). I use a Zoom G5 multi-effect, which is a modeler, but I don't use any of the amp simulations (I like the sound of my amp itself). Instead, it's usually for a couple different levels of distortion/overdrive... but I also have a phaser, chorus, and flanger ready to go for the times that I want them. The G5 acts like my pedalboard in a small package and gives me tons of options if I want them.

Every "pedal" on this thing is fully and easily tweakable... even from the unit itself (the software works good too).

I will say, though, that I'm not really a big purist for pedals and not terribly picky about every little nuance of my sound. I'm sure that the various pedals the G5 emulates would be better as standalones, but I love the convenience... and I love my sound so it doesn't bother me in the least to "cheat" my way to it!
    Originally posted by The Commodores?
    "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

I was going to mention the G3, the G5's little brother, it has some nice modulations in it. Have never really bonded with any digital amp models but I don't have a problem with the effects.

Comment

I used to have a Jim Dunlop rotovibe, it has two modes chorus or vibrato, the vibrato is actually a tremolo, and chorus is a hybrid of chorus/phase/leslie,
        I traded it for a lovetone doppleganger which does the same thing, otherwise I'd still have it now.
        I'd recommend it, I like simple setups and wah/rotovibe/od/delay would give me everything I'd need especially as the rotovibe is really two pedals in one I just wish i could get one in a boss size box

Comment

I use a Marshall Regenerator on my board. 2 types of chorus, flange, phase, vibe and a step phaser. Cool, and handy little pedal.

Sent from my TARDIS using timey-wimey talk.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

I've thought about picking up a Line 6 MM4 several times. I have a Phase 90 on my board (would rather swap it out with a 45 though), and tremolo. I use the trem a lot, but the phaser gets used very rarely. I'd like to have the option of some flange or chorus or vibe, but like you, I just can't justify the board space. I'm not in a situation where it matters at the moment though, since I only play in one band and the Trem is all I need for that.
            Go Packers!

Comment

I'm always surfing for a Regenerator. Awesome pedal.

Mooer Modulation is cool too - same idea.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I have my eye on a Zoom MS-70DCR. I also just found this multi modulation pedal from Nux called "Mod Core". Both stereo and affordable. Have not used in a gig as am still trying to buy any of those.
                Last edited by IMENATOR; 03-29-2016, 12:14 PM.
                Who took my guitar?

Comment

That's exactly why I bought my Mobius! For my own music I might use a bit of trem, a little touch of flanger or ring mod here and there but that's about it, but some of the other live situations I play in have me playing covers, or other people's music and using whatever effects are needed. It's expensive but in the long run I think it's saved me money. Most decent pedals in Canada cost around 200 dollars, and the Mobius cost me just under 600, so for the price of about 3 pedals I have almost infinite tonal versatility and great tonal quality.

I'd say it's a good deal.
                  Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
                  I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
                  Andrew - None

Comment

A Line6 M5 or M9 is actually an excellent pedal with many different mod effects- they sound really good for the most part. They are also pretty cheap these days.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                    X