banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CRYBABY MOD: Help identifying a capacitor (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CRYBABY MOD: Help identifying a capacitor (?)

I was following a mod video to make my Crybaby true bypass, and somehow broke the capacitor/orange thing during the mod. It was probably cheap anyway if it broke so easily, but I'd like to know what it was so I can order a new one and get my pedal back.

I was following this tutorial: https://youtu.be/kqyFsuC9fk4?t=5m58s and you can see the orange capacitor he's refering to.

@5:58

Under the capacitor I broke the board says "C9" in a little rectangle the size of the capacitor.

Thanks!

Re: CRYBABY MOD: Help identifying a capacitor (?)

I can't tell what it is from the schematic, you're probably best sending an e-mail to support at Dunlop - [email protected]

"It was probably cheap anyway if it broke so easily", it's a standard capacitor, they aren't made to take any force.

Comment

There should be some sort of marking on it. And what do you mean by "broke"? The solder leg snapped off?

It's one of the two input buffer caps, unfortunately it's either .01uF or 22pF.
      Last edited by PFDarkside; 03-20-2016, 08:27 PM.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

No, it's not cheap you just broke it lol. No fear though the proper way to true bypass a GCB95 is to remove that cap and a few other components around it. Leaving them in and lifting parts or cutting the trace is a bit of a half ass method.

See step 2 here...

Also if you're doing pedal mods you should get a solder sucker so you won't destroy components trying to heat them and lift them off the board at the same time. You can get one for $5-$10 on amazon (or other places) and it's money well spent for pedal mods and repairs along with guitar and amp work too.
        www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by XSSIVE View Post
          Also if you're doing pedal mods you should get a solder sucker so you won't destroy components trying to heat them and lift them off the board at the same time. You can get one for $5-$10 on amazon (or other places) and it's money well spent for pedal mods and repairs along with guitar and amp work too.

+1. Makes the job much easier and cleaner. You can't have excess solder on a PC board, as everything's so close, it'll make a connection with the one next to it.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Thanks all! I never got any notifications that anybody responded to this! It's great.

So I ended up contacting Dunlop and they were super nice and told me which cap it was (c9=.01 MF 50V), and then I got a few extra for a few bucks from Small Bear Electronics. Now it works like a charm and I have the satisfaction that I completed my first project. Now it's on to swapping pickups!

And when I say "broke," I mean I think it heated until the actual capacitor cracked. At least that's what it looks like. Like the clay-type of stuff the actual cap is made of just kind of crumbled into two halves. Didn't know that could happen, but I guess it can. Or maybe it was cheap? What do I know - this was my first time doing anything like this.

Now I'm going to figure out how to be notified if people are helpful!

Thanks everybody. Mission accomplished.

Comment

Working...
            X