Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tube pedal - does SD make one?

Originally posted by leevc5 View Post
    Did a test drive on the 805 today. That is it, has just the sound I'm looking for. Going to buy one as soon as I find a deal. Ebay and Reverb prices are all at full price right now but I know a deal will come up and I'll jump on it.

Also, got a SD PICKUP BOOSTER in a craig's list trade. It is an awesome pedal for my Strat and Tele. The tones that I have found in just a couple of days are fantastic. It doesn't just boost, it adds rich, full tones that I never thought I'd get out of single coil pups. As an added bonus with the gain cranked up it overdrives the preamp section of my amp and I get some pretty cool over drive effects.

While waiting for the 805 I built a tube distortion thing and it works surprisingly well. I get a fairly broad range of nice sounding over drive. Thanks to you all for your help and advice I'd be nowhere without it. Here is a schematic for the tube distortion unit and a picture of my rendition (not pretty but it works):[ATTACH=CONFIG]71226[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]71227[/ATTACH]
    You tube sound clips?
    Who took my guitar?

Comment

[URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B13fLrWvLg4UaTQ5a3phcXZRMk0"]
      Access Google Drive with a Google account (for personal use) or Google Workspace account (for business use).
      Last edited by leevc5; 04-01-2016, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Can't access the sound clip. I'd love to hear it though. Looks like a straightforward pre-amp circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
          Can't access the sound clip. I'd love to hear it though. Looks like a straightforward pre-amp circuit.
          Yes, I am into tube preamp pedals really. Cheaper than a real amp, no power tubes to change, makes for a lighweight rig if you have a SS power amp in a box. It may not sound as good as a whole amp but way much much better than regular overdrive pedals into clean amp.
          Who took my guitar?

Comment

It's a starved tube preamp, probably a warm sounding booster(?).

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
              It's a starved tube preamp, probably a warm sounding booster(?).
              Yes that is exactly what it is. And although limited it does have an overdriven sweet spot that I find myself returning to quite often.

Comment

Hey, I like what I hear, but do you think it is really a usable sound for gigging?. Where did you get this diagram from? is there any website you recommend me to get started into DIY tube based pedals like this? I wanna try that or something similar.
                Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
                  Hey, I like what I hear, but do you think it is really a usable sound for gigging?. Where did you get this diagram from? is there any website you recommend me to get started into DIY tube based pedals like this? I wanna try that or something similar.
                  It would be fine for gigging but would require a rugged case and probably wire the components to a breadboard rather than directly to the tube as I did. I intend to do this eventually but for now I am just using it as a test bed for a future project where I intend to combine with a Timmy I am going to build. This will give me the advantages of a solid state and a tube overdrive in one pedal.

Comment

Working...
                  X