Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tube pedal - does SD make one?

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    I used a Twin Tube for years- and I am not a tube snob by any means (John McLaughlin used one too for a long time). If something can get that sound without fragile tubes, I am all for it. The Palladium Gain Stage can.
    Thanks, the Twin Tube and Palladium are overkill for me. I am looking for a specific sound not the broad range of sounds that those two pedals offer. I want something simple and I am hoping the 805 will accomplish what I am looking for.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
      Nah man, I'm from TN, my grandmother's gravy made everything awesome!!

I agree with Securb and Gibson175 that the AVT isn't a good choice for what you want to do (I know, I already said that), that said, I think you can get close with a good sounding clean combo and the right pedals (the 805 is a good choice to try). You already have a Champ and that is a good building block to start with, I've seen a guy do a gig with and get a ton of good tones with an old Champ mic'd and a pedalboard with lots a few different drive pedals, along with delay, modulation, compression... If you are looking at a new amp, you might check out the Fender SuperSonic 22 combo or maybe a Marshall DSL40C, both are 2 channel tube amps. I also thiink a compressor might help too after you get and overdrive sound you like.
      Great idea...the Champ is thing of beauty when cranked up with no pedals. Maybe I'll cover my studio room walls and ceiling with Acoustic Foam Panels then I can have the sound I want. Downside I'd probably end up as deaf as Pete Townshend.
      I will check out the Marshall DSL40C. I do like my AVT50 but maybe it's time for an upgrade I've had it for a lot of years.

Comment

Originally posted by leevc5 View Post
        Excellent suggestion, however that takes me into a completely new realm of dilemma that is not for this forum...which tube amp??? If I could go back in time I would keep the '65 Fender Bandmaster that I sold when I went off to college. Finding one of those now would be near impossible and if I did it would probably cost as much as a new BMW.
        Have you checked out the Fender Bassbreaker line yet? They are a throwback to the late 50's early 60s Bassman circuit but they went with EL84 power tubes. So pretty much a JTM45 clone. They might have some of the old Fender mojo you are looking for without paying collector's pricing. They have a huge range of heads and combos in this new line. I haven't heard them but they do look interesting.

Flexibility is the name of the game for the flagship Bassbreaker 45 Head, the latest evolution of the “granddaddy” of almost all amps—the ’59 Bassman®. This amp delivers grit, crunch and grunt in style, along with mile-wide dynamic range and redefined dirty tube tones. This powerful, roadworthy beast dishes out plenty of authentic Fender sound with a modern twist.
        Discover the sound of Fender, the spirit of rock-n-roll since 1946. Shop Fender guitars, basses, amplifiers, audio equipment, accessories, apparel and more.

Comment

I'm thinking about trying to build a Showman amp myself.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	1showman_6g14_schem.gif
Views:	2
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	5792380

Comment

Good call on the Bassbreaker, those sound great in the demos, I'm afraid to try one as my funds are quite depleted at the moment...

Comment

OUCH!! I checked the prices for the tubes and transformers for my wishful Showman amp build - $570. So much for that not so bright idea.

Comment

Dude, just go with the 805.

Comment

The whole tube in a box thing is kinda overrated I.M.H.O. & I've owned several very expensive boutique "tube driven" pedals in the past & currently. They don't always do what you think they will on paper, some of them are okay but it's more of a gimmick in most cases than for tone...

Just a side note, if you decide to go that route I've got a almost new OCD for sale on the cheap? The box, papers, Exc., it's all there. P.M. me if you're interested...
                  I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

I am currently using an 805 now. I essentially use 1 gain sound, which is a light overdrive. I don't like that most TS-type pedals have a huge mid spike at the expense of the lows, but the 805 cures that.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Building one-offs is rarely cost effective, especially after you add in your time (unless you are doing it for enjoyment).

Comment

Did a test drive on the 805 today. That is it, has just the sound I'm looking for. Going to buy one as soon as I find a deal. Ebay and Reverb prices are all at full price right now but I know a deal will come up and I'll jump on it.

Also, got a SD PICKUP BOOSTER in a craig's list trade. It is an awesome pedal for my Strat and Tele. The tones that I have found in just a couple of days are fantastic. It doesn't just boost, it adds rich, full tones that I never thought I'd get out of single coil pups. As an added bonus with the gain cranked up it overdrives the preamp section of my amp and I get some pretty cool over drive effects.

While waiting for the 805 I built a tube distortion thing and it works surprisingly well. I get a fairly broad range of nice sounding over drive. Thanks to you all for your help and advice I'd be nowhere without it. Here is a schematic for the tube distortion unit and a picture of my rendition (not pretty but it works):Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	5792421Click image for larger version

Name:	01tubdistortion.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	5792422
                        Last edited by leevc5; 03-26-2016, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by leevc5 View Post
                          Also, got a SD PICKUP BOOSTER in a craig's list trade. It is an awesome pedal for my Strat and Tele.
                          The new one, or the original SFX-01? Got the 1st one. Dying to try the 2nd gen.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                            The new one, or the original SFX-01? Got the 1st one. Dying to try the 2nd gen.
                            I have the SFX-01. I didn't know they had a 2nd generation one. I can't imagine how they could improve on it.

Comment

The new one is certainly prettier. I am not sure if it is the same electronics, but it feels better-built too. I had the first one, and now the 2nd one. They sound about the same to me.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The new Pickup Booster's resonance switch is more sensitive. It now goes all the way down to unity gain as well.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X