Stacking ODs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stacking ODs?

I've been known to stack a dirt box or five!!! Obviously they are all set to lower gain settings & this chain isn't for every amp, but in front of something nice & clean with my modulation/delay/Exc. running through the effects loop, it's like talking to God!!!
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Damn...

Dude's home from work early,will have to get back to it in a bit.

Nice set-up,tho,man!!!
      "Scalloped & Stickered"
      A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

I have three pedals to control my gain levels: SD Vise Grip --> Walrus Audio Voyager (kind of Klonish with a bit of OD250 texture) ---> Xotic SL Drive.

It gives me a good mix of tones, I can get a pretty sounding low gain grit with the Vise + Voyager, or a fuzzy high gain drive with the Voyager + SL Drive or a really tight high gain sound with the Vise + SL Drive. With my Les Paul (Custom 5) it can get super heavy, like I'm a jazz/soul musician so I don't really use that kind of sound but it can go straight into tight modern metal range.

Whatever is last in your chain will have the biggest effect on the overall EQ of your sound. If you put your heavy, ugly distortion/fuzz first and your sweet overdrive after it, the overall sound will be a lot smoother and cleaner, and you will be able to use the overdrives headroom to get a lot more clean volume. Inversely, if you put your overdrive into your ugly distortion, it will boost the input and make it clip harder, giving you a lot more gain, while keeping the fundamental character of the distortion. So the two basic philosophies are: Light --> Heavy gives you more gain, Heavy --> Light gives you more volume.
        Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
        I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
        Andrew - None

Comment

I am always stacked. Typically lately, it has been my Dirt Clod and my Bohemium Treble Boster. There is always some type of boost and overdrive at the top of my signal.

Comment

Had a buzz/hum issue w/the SD-1,diff power supply sorted that out.
            Now it's just plain hiss,which is tolerable.Won't hear it anyway when everyone's playing!

This pedal kills w/this amp!

Other than that,ready to go.
            "Kinda" looking forward to gigging a different rig,but it'll def be more limited.
            Gotta get over the drummer,too,hopefully won't be feedback problems.

Will report back...
            "Scalloped & Stickered"

Comment

Day late and a dollar short, but if the ZW is an MXR Dist+, the SD-1 in front can kick it into Master Of Puppets saturation, though you definitely want to kill the SD when you're not playing, or you want a violent noise gate, because at those levels live, you're nothing but output.

Back when I ran pedals (before I got a rack), the SD-1 boosting an MXR Dist+ was my primary tone, because the MXR was just too farty for the palm mutes I was doing. However, with Distortion-class pickups, it was eager to squeal, and white noise was its 2nd language.

Then again, that was just with me. If you've actually got a 2nd guitar and bass to fill out the low end and add girth to the tone, you can get by with less gain.
              Originally posted by Brown Note
              I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
              My Blog

Comment

The ZW is a modded SD-1.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Lovepedal, Wampler and Catalinbread stack really well.

The guidelines I follow (personally...they aren't rules) are lower gain into higher gain.

So I'd say BOOST > Overdrive > Distortion. or Overdrive > Overdrive > Distortion.
                  For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Originally posted by Rand-O-Monium View Post
                    Will report back...
                    OK,verdict's in!
                    Worked out "really" well.

Good variety of useable tones:
                    Cln,"Hard" Cln w/ZW,Reg Lightish Crunch(straight Marshall,gain about 10 o'clock),Hvy Rhythms w/SD-1,switch this to 3rd channel(gain about 2 o'clock) for solos w/a slight Vol Boost.The SD-1 seems "spongier" compared to harder/tighter sounding ZW.

Some friends that play were there,as well,cut 'em loose on a few tunes so I could walk out front & listen.
                    Sounded fine(!) & Vol was not an issue at all,plenty to get over the drummer,tho I did run it thru a M/B Halfback 2x12 & disconnect teh brite Marshall spkr.Just doing that helped considerably!
                    Not as much Gain as I usually run w/the Rack,but that's OK,still got into "Thrash-ish" territory.

Put Ch 1st(hardly used,honestly),ZW > SD-1, then Delay pedal.Guitars were my Scalloped/Stickered Strat & a LPCstm.
                    Will be used more,certainly,will def get me thru until I get my MIDI board issue(s) resolved.

TL;DR:
                    Sounded fine!
                    "Scalloped & Stickered"

Comment

Originally posted by Rand-O-Monium View Post
                      Biker Bar in Arlington...
                      Same place I saw you at?? I wanna come to a show again .

I usually try not to stack my pedals cuz I dont want them getting chipped up. ( unless they are in boxes..) hahaha Sorry, had to...

Im sure its operator error, but I usually dont have much luck stacking gain pedals or I get noise. (Again, I know its cuz Im not setting them right) Ive been working to dial things in and did have a good tone the other day running my OCD into the green rhino..
                      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Yeah,same...

The noise is gonna happen,main thing's between songs!

Main thing for me's toeing the Feedback line.Really keeps you on your game.
                        Thank God for Vol knobs on the guitar!
                        "Scalloped & Stickered"

Comment

Working...
                        X