Sabbath Tone on a budget.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sabbath Tone on a budget.

Sup guys, after a couple of years dealing with family stuff I've decided to build a my pedalboard again and I want to have (beside all of my presets) a Sabbath setting just for fun. I was looking for the Catalinbread Sabra Caddabra, and seems to work just fine for the tone I'm looking for.

Has any of you tried that one? Any other suggestions on what pedals should I go and get?

Re: Sabbath Tone on a budget.

Don't know about the SC, but Iommi used a Treble Booster on the early albums.

I can hear what it contributes to that tone when using one.

It is essentially a clean boost with a little something extra.

There are lots available but I like the Keeley Java Boost, the AnalogMan Beano boost and the HBE Germanium.

Comment

A treble booster on its own only really does the Iommi thing if you have your amp cranked up. The CB attempts to put a treble booster and a cranked Laney in the same box. I haven't played it, so I'm not sure how well it pulls this off. Their other amp-in-a-box pedals get great reviews, however.

Comment

sg or similar guitar, tuned low with lighter strings into a loud amp with a booster. the catalinbread stuff is really good and with the right guitar should do just fine

Comment

I know you said pedal, but if you spend just a bit more you may be able to find an Orange Tiny Terror head used.
          That amp is like plugging into Iommi's rig, but very usable at home or onstage, because it sounds good at low volume and gets surprisingly loud for a 2 EL-84 amp. It's an interesting amp because it's got the Orange tone, but if you tweak it, you can get his more modern Laney tone too.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I agree with previous posts up to a point.

Here is the deal with treble boosters and I learned then when I fell in love with Catalinbread effects. Treble boosters only really work when the amp is fully dime'd and trainwrecked. The whole point of a treble booster is to make sense of all the frequencies of an amp that is flying on the ragged edge of insanity. (no...I'm not kidding.)

Now...the easy way out is to suggest to you the Catalinbread Sabbra Cadabra which is great. (I have one) It's a good believable Toni tone at low volumes through a low wattage (clean) amp.

Honestly...the closest I've come to Sabbath bliss on a budget is the Wampler SLOstortion. It's intended purpose is to be a Soldano in a box but honestly, I just can't dial out the Toni to save my life. I found this out by pure accident as I was using the SLOstortion for a while and then I bought the Sabbra Cadabra and I prefer the SLOstortion for Sabbath.

So to answer your question...YES...I have a Sabbra Cadabra and it does sound like what you need it to sound like THROUGH A CLEAN AMP. The Wampler SLOstortion can get that sound and so much more and if you ever decide to venture into Doom rock, it's F#^king amazing.

Try what you can.
            Make choices based on return policies.
            Enjoy in good health.

Your brother in Iommi,

~LD
            For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

I have a couple of Treble Boosters I love the darn things. Right now the one that seems to get me closest to that Dallas Rangemaster Page/May/Iommi tone is the BBE Bohemian Boost. The nice thing about the BBE is, the bias knob allows you to really dial in on your sweet spot. The cool thing is they are not a budget buster they run around $79 and end up on the SDOTD a lot on Musician's Friend even cheaper.

Comment

That's the thing, I don't have currently the access (yet) to an tube amp and the used market in Mexico sucks big time. I'm currently using a Wampler Triple Wreck and several other pedals into a Fender frontman 212R. I'm going to put the SC in my priority list after the Petrucci wah

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                  I know you said pedal, but if you spend just a bit more you may be able to find an Orange Tiny Terror head used.
                  That amp is like plugging into Iommi's rig, but very usable at home or onstage, because it sounds good at low volume and gets surprisingly loud for a 2 EL-84 amp. It's an interesting amp because it's got the Orange tone, but if you tweak it, you can get his more modern Laney tone too.
                  +1, Tiny Terrors are awesome indeed.

Comment

Get a used Valve Klipper preamp.
                    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Sovereign View Post
                      That's the thing, I don't have currently the access (yet) to an tube amp and the used market in Mexico sucks big time. I'm currently using a Wampler Triple Wreck and several other pedals into a Fender frontman 212R. I'm going to put the SC in my priority list after the Petrucci wah
                      Without a tube amp a treble booster is not going to get you there. I would suggest a modeler of some sort.

Comment

Don't forget his seriously wacky wah he uses, the Chicago Iron Parachute. It really sounds nothing like an actual Cry Baby.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

This pedal & some reverb should get you there..

Maybe not quite the Sabbath tone but it's tasty... :

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                          If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

An El34 or EL84 amp and the Sabbra Cadabra pedal should go a long way. A P90 equipped guitar will get you closer still.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                              I have a couple of Treble Boosters I love the darn things. Right now the one that seems to get me closest to that Dallas Rangemaster Page/May/Iommi tone is the BBE Bohemian Boost. The nice thing about the BBE is, the bias knob allows you to really dial in on your sweet spot. The cool thing is they are not a budget buster they run around $79 and end up on the SDOTD a lot on Musician's Friend even cheaper.
                              Or if you know how to solder well, you can build a teble booster for $30. They are probably the simplest boost circuits out there.

Comment

Working...
                              X