NPD! Everyone should own a Bender.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD! Everyone should own a Bender.

I can't believe I've been playing guitar for 40+ years and never tried a Tone Bender. That changed today with the arrival of my Earthquaker Devices Tone Reaper. What fun! It's the Lemon Song in a box.

I needed something that would fit in the "extra" spot on my pedalboard, presently occupied by a Dyna Comp. The Reaper is a super-simple way to integrate a Bender into a modern pedalboard: MXR-size box, normal 9 volt Boss-style power jack.

Browsing EQD's website makes me want to buy them all. What a cool company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Re: NPD! Everyone should own a Bender.

Yeah, Earthquaker do some cool things, each pedal directed at a very specific effect/tone - often completely out there. They've really differentiated themselves with this approach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I have heard great things about that pedal. I guess it has a great early Page tone in it. I would love to get your feedback on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
        Browsing EQD's website makes me want to buy them all. What a cool company.
        Agree 100%!
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

NPD! Everyone should own a Bender.

Originally posted by Securb View Post
          I have heard great things about that pedal. I guess it has a great early Page tone in it. I would love to get your feedback on that.
          Oh, yeah... early Page is a cinch. Lemon Song, Whole Lotta Love, Heartbreaker - your fingers just sort of start playing those riffs by themselves when this thing is on.

I've read the Tone Reaper is designed to be pretty flexible, so that you can dial in any of the early Tone Bender sounds. I need to better acquaint myself with early Bowie and Mick Ronson's Bender tones before I comment on that, but Page? No problem.
          Last edited by Rich_S; 04-07-2016, 11:20 AM.
          Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
          Rich Stevens

Comment

Earthquaker is my favorite pedal and I don't own a single one of their pedals.

Comment

Somehow my Tone Reaper sounded a bit Muffesque to my ears. A bit tighter, compressed and focused than I would expect from a bender. Thought it could be due to the silicon tranistors, but whatever. Still sounded cool though. Congrats!

Comment

Yeah man, Earthquaker seems to specialize in making pedals that do not replace anything on your board. Each of their boxes stands alone IN ADDITION to everything else you have.

If you have an overdrive and you buy an Earthquaker overdrive, you can use them both. I love their Hoof pedal.

Enjoy in good health.
                For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Comment

There were seven in the bed and the Tone Reaper said roll over, roll over...

... and they all rolled over and the Dyna Comp fell out.

I just had another one of my epic battles with compressors and the compressors lost. Some of my favorite players have made brilliant, iconic sounds using compressors - Andy Summers, Jamie West-Oram, James Honeyman-Scott, Johnny Marr - but when I try to use them, it just doesn't work.

However, I've been looking for a dirtbox that's the polar opposite of my smooth and sophisticated BB Preamp, and think I finally found it in the Tone Reaper. Most other dirt boxes I've tried (SD-1, BB, Rat, GE-7, DS-1 Distortion+) sound best when they're [TONE CLICHE]pushing a crunchy tube amp over the edge[/TONE CLICHE]. With that base covered, I needed something that would provide filth, sometimes at lower volumes than my usual clean-to-crunchy sound. The Tone Reaper does that. It's basically "The Lemon Song" in a box.
                    Last edited by Rich_S; 04-07-2016, 11:25 AM.
                    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                    Rich Stevens

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]71375[/ATTACH]
                      ******t i was going to post a pick of the worlds most famous bending robot

Comment

I love your pedalboard pics Rich.
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Sometimes I wish it were 4" wider.
                          Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                          Rich Stevens

Comment

Just picked up a Tone Reaper yesterday, really like what I get out of it, spent over an hour playing "Psychotic Reaction", till my wife came in the studio and asked if I could play something different, so I split it up between "Satisfaction", "Incense & Peppermints", and "I Had Too Much To Dream Lat Night" for the next hour. It is now part of my "Big Board", as I swapped the Tone Reaper for my Maxon OD-808.....

Comment

Working...
                            X