banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No doubt redundant but - if you could choose on pedal for blues gigs what would it be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No doubt redundant but - if you could choose on pedal for blues gigs what would i

I dig the 805.
    But if I had to bring one pedal, it would probably be some sort of delay (Vapor Trail, with a volume pedal in the insert jack), and use a non-master volume amp for power tube distortion.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Re: No doubt redundant but - if you could choose on pedal for blues gigs what would i

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
      I've run into that too, from a handful of guys over the years who think everything has to be preserved exactly like it was in the their idea of the 'golden age.' That's fine for those people, but there's a lot of kinds of blues, and the reason blues was kept alive was the Brits who reintroduced it to America in the mid & late 1960's. That qualifies as real blues too. What those guys are missing is that the blues greats use/used pedals & distortion themselves. Albert King used a MXR Phase 90 pedal, Buddy Guy has a Dunlop signature wah. The small amps of the 1950's really distorted when pushed; have you heard Willie Johnson's tones when he was playing with Howlin' Wolf in the early 1950's? One of the great blues guitarists, and his guitar was heavily distorted. That was common for guitarists back then, so that their little amps could be heard over the rest of the band. The self-proclaimed 'blues purists' only seem to remember the louder amps of the late 1950's & 1960's that were pretty clean played at normal volumes. Selective memory.
      Otis Rush is my go to man for blues. I don't think he uses any pedals. "Contemporary" favorites of mine Peter Green and Michael Bloomfield don't/didn't use any pedals either as far as I know.
      of some interest all three used guitars with humbuckers:
      Otis Rus- ES-345, ES-355;
      Peter Green - Les Paul;
      Michael Bloomfield: Telecaster, Les Paul and ES-175 (my favorite works of his were done on the Les Paul e.g.: Mary Ann Bloomfield and Cooper Super Session live at the Fillmore)
      Last edited by leevc5; 04-02-2016, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Any gig, open mic night, any performance or jam where there is "frowning upon" anything sounds like a boring suckfest and I would not bother going.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
          No can do. Tuner, wah, compressor, delay, etc....I'm taking my entire pedal board for any recording or gigs I do, with a Mesa amp and at least a G&L Legacy and a 2HB. Even if I don't use it, I have it if I need it.
          About ten years ago, I was in a roots rock band and had a "respectable" pedalboard. When it came time to go into the studio, I didn't use a single one. It wasn't an intentional choice, just going where the music took me.

I've run into that too, from a handful of guys over the years who think everything has to be preserved exactly like it was in the their idea of the 'golden age.'
          <rant> Such refusal to depart from the style and tools of our forbears is a major reason why guitar's relevance in contemporary music is on life support. Such a "time capsule" approach to an instrument is why guitar is only slightly more relevant today than Benny Goodman's clarinet. </rant>
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
          My Music

Comment

Originally posted by leevc5 View Post
            Otis Rush is my go to man for blues. I don't think he uses any pedals. "Contemporary" favorites of mine Peter Green and Michael Bloomfield don't/didn't use any pedals either as far as I know.
            if you can crank up your tube amp then you dont need pedals. i have a little musicmaster bass amp that i can usually turn up enough to get the goods but even my deluxe reverb is too loud to run as hot as id like in most places, hence the need for a good overdrive

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
              Korg Pitchblack
              I think this is truly the best answer.

Comment

"<rant> Such refusal to depart from the style and tools of our forbears is a major reason why guitar's relevance in contemporary music is on life support. Such a "time capsule" approach to an instrument is why guitar is only slightly more relevant today than Benny Goodman's clarinet. </rant>"

The guitar is still alive and thriving in today's country music.
                Keith Urban; Brad Paisley; Junior Brown; Vince Gill;Redd Volkaert...

Comment

I haven't quite narrowed this down to one pedal yet. But out of what I have on my board; I would say the Boosta Grande, Boss Turbo Overdrive, Open Road and Double Trouble (twin TS808 variant) would be the pedals I would probably pick from. Most likely I would take 2 of them because I like to have one pedal supply my crunch tone then stack another with it for my lead tone.

if I was to use the Open Road with low gain for crunch, I'd probably use either the Boss Turbo Overdrive or the Double Trouble for my lead sound with low to moderate gain and a slight level boost to drive the signal it bit harder. If I didn't want the mid range focus of those pedals, I'd just use the Boosta Grande after the Open Road to drive the amp harder (which could also work for my crunch with the Open Road giving a bit more dirt for lead). ....Or, if I was looking for more of an SRV type sound, the Double Trouble on its own with one side set as a boost and the other with more dirt from the pedal would be just fine.

It really depended on what sound I was after for that night. Even, if the amp is set for crunch and cleans up by rolling off the volume a bit, the Boosta Grande could do the job on its own if I was going after a sound that got all the overdrive from the amp. It's all about how dirty I want the sound to get and how drastically I want the pedals to colour the tone... Which reminds me, while I have lots of overdrive options, the one thing I need is a good transparent overdrive that won't break the bank. Everything I have now does colour the sound in some way. None in a bad way, but I'd like something that just gives me more of what I already have from the amp.

Comment

Originally posted by aleclee View Post
                    About ten years ago, I was in a roots rock band and had a "respectable" pedalboard. When it came time to go into the studio, I didn't use a single one. It wasn't an intentional choice, just going where the music took me.
                    I find myself doing this at times. My pedalboard is continually expanding, and while at home or when jamming I will use them all frequently, but it's not uncommon when recording or even at gigs that I find myself using only a few of those pedals if I use them at all. On a demo one of my old bands once recorded I had a couple of parts that used a wah. In practices I always used the wah on these parts, but live I found myself rarely going to it.

Comment

anyone should be able to do a blues gig with no pedals, doesnt mean that might be the preferred way to do it

Comment

Drive-O-Matic
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

And if I can have TWO pedals

Drive-o-matic and AD-9
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Gonna build a Timmy. Evidently Paul Cochrane has no problem with releasing the layout and parts list. I ordered the parts for ~$20 and then found out that you could by one directly from Paul Cochrane for $100. Evidently he is a very cool dude and has helped others work with modifications on his design, another reason I wish I had ordered from him.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	TimmyPaulC.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	5792517

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                              anyone should be able to do a blues gig with no pedals, doesnt mean that might be the preferred way to do it

+1. Pedals used in moderation, can add a lot of variety, and interest to a guitarist's playing. Why should technology for blues end in the 1950's? Bluesmen were pioneers; some of the first to use electric guitars when they came out in the post-war era. Most of them jumped on the new technology, instead of sticking with acoustic guitars. The availability and variety of pedals kicked into gear in the 1970's and '80's, and many of the original blues players had passed away by then.

Look at how many metal players have incorporated classical music into their playing; it doesn't count if it's not on a violin? Technology changes, instruments change...use it to your advantage. You have a bigger palette to work with. In any genre, the musicians that we remember and are inspired by, are the ones who thought outside of the box.
                              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

+1. Pedals used in moderation, can add a lot of variety, and interest to a guitarist's playing. Why should technology for blues end in the 1950's? Bluesmen were pioneers; some of the first to use electric guitars when they came out in the post-war era. Most of them jumped on the new technology, instead of sticking with acoustic guitars. The availability and variety of pedals kicked into gear in the 1970's and '80's, and many of the original blues players had passed away by then.

Look at how many metal players have incorporated classical music into their playing; it doesn't count if it's not on a violin? Technology changes, instruments change...use it to your advantage. You have a bigger palette to work with. In any genre, the musicians that we remember and are inspired by, are the ones who thought outside of the box.
                                Alas, some of us are just journeymen and will never have the vision of a Hendrix or a Ravel. Greatness and fulfillment live in the journeyman as well. Mastering technique and finding creative ways of overcoming obstacles is the stock and trade of a journeyman. Being able to get on stage or go into a studio armed with just your gitfiddle and amp and making beautiful music without adding electronic gizmos requires a special talent that should be appreciated and admired. (Stilted post for a lazy Sunday afternoon)

Comment

Working...
                                X