banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No doubt redundant but - if you could choose on pedal for blues gigs what would it be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No doubt redundant but - if you could choose on pedal for blues gigs what would i

paul is awesome, ive spoken to him a few times over the years. i have two timmys and many of my friends have grabbed a tim or timmy after hearing mine. he charges a very fair price and the pedals are great all around

Comment

Re: No doubt redundant but - if you could choose on pedal for blues gigs what would i

I've always brought only one od pedal to the local blues jams. At times, a TS variant, a Mooer Blues Crab, or a Jetter GSR. But I was happiest with my YouDirtyRAT paired with a LPS P90 guitar. Lots of tweakability in that Rat. Low to higher gain; smooth and warm to raspy; and a bit of compression and sustain without having to get obnoxiously loud.

Comment

Joyo Sweet Baby or Fulltone OCD. Both amazing but the Joyo is a bit sweeter and more dynamic.
        Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
        Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
        Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
        Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Well, I knew it was going to happen and today it did. I spent more time fiddling with my pedals and amp settings then I did actually playing. Tomorrow I will buy a timer and budget 7% of allotted guitar time to playing with the seemingly infinite settings. Even my limited pedal inventory I can see how addictive mucking about thinking that ultimate sound is just one adjustment away.

Comment

Originally posted by leevc5 View Post
            Well, I knew it was going to happen and today it did. I spent more time fiddling with my pedals and amp settings then I did actually playing. Tomorrow I will buy a timer and budget 7% of allotted guitar time to playing with the seemingly infinite settings. Even my limited pedal inventory I can see how addictive mucking about thinking that ultimate sound is just one adjustment away.
            Buy a timer? 7%? That's counterintuitive.

When you find the sound you've been looking for, it inspires you to play so much that you stop tweaking things.
            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I've always used amps that get a great blues or blues rock tone on their own, and then just use whatever new flavor of the week OD is my newest. I set them pretty subtle, so it only has to slam the pre tubes.

Most recently, I've been digging the Way Huge Red Llama and Ibanez TS808HW.

Strat, 335, or Godin P90 into Fender Pro Reverb, Matchless Cheiftain, or Fender Vaporizer.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                anyone should be able to do a blues gig with no pedals, doesnt mean that might be the preferred way to do it
                True. Pedals aren't a requirement. But, not every sound is attainable with just a guitar and amp. It all depends on the sound you're after. For example, while nobody will ever completely replicate SRV's tone, a tubescreamer into a loud tube amp (a Fender or Dumble if possible) is pretty much essential.

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                  Buy a timer? 7%? That's counterintuitive.

When you find the sound you've been looking for, it inspires you to play so much that you stop tweaking things.
                  I miss the point being counterintuitive. If I have allotted 7% tone shaping time to a 2 hour practice session it means I would allow about 9 minutes to play with tone adjustments. I agree this may be too short of time perhaps 15 minutes or ~14% would be more practical as I am just beginning this experimentation with pedals.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisDyingSoul76 View Post
                    True. Pedals aren't a requirement. But, not every sound is attainable with just a guitar and amp. It all depends on the sound you're after. For example, while nobody will ever completely replicate SRV's tone, a tubescreamer into a loud tube amp (a Fender or Dumble if possible) is pretty much essential.

True, a guitar thru an amp can be nice, but with the judicious use of a few carefully chosen pedals it can even nicer.

As far as SRV, there are blues players that are not SRV fans, nor do they want to sound like him. The 'Strat and a Hat' thing has been beaten into the ground by thousands of players, and is pretty worn out by now. Gary Moore said he'd walk out when a band started the SRV thing.
                    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                      True, a guitar thru an amp can be nice, but with the judicious use of a few carefully chosen pedals it can even nicer.

As far as SRV, there are blues players that are not SRV fans, nor do they want to sound like him. The 'Strat and a Hat' thing has been beaten into the ground by thousands of players, and is pretty worn out by now. Gary Moore said he'd walk out when a band started the SRV thing.
                      I think SRV's signature was his .013-.056 strings not the tube screamer thing. One of my favorite electric blues recordings is SRV and Albert King in session. That is what SRV was about.

Comment

TS9

Comment

not to kick a horse that has been dead and rotted for 20+ years but srvs tone was more than any one thing. yes he used a tube screamer, yes he used heavy strings, and big amps and blah blah blah. he sounded like him with pretty much any setup. he did use a tube screamer but not just a ts808 or ts9, he also used the ts10 which no one seems to think is worth much. from what ive read from his tech, he got boxes of single strings from ghs. hed use 11s, 12s, and 13s depending on how his hands were feeling and his 13 set wasnt much different from my custom 11 set i used to use other than the high e (13, 15, 19, 28, 38, 58 vs 11, 15, 19 ,28, 38, 54), i think tuning down a 1/2 step is a bigger part of his sound. trying to say any one thing was the secret to srv's tone if foolish unless you are talking about his hands.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                            not to kick a horse that has been dead and rotted for 20+ years but srvs tone was more than any one thing. yes he used a tube screamer, yes he used heavy strings, and big amps and blah blah blah. he sounded like him with pretty much any setup. he did use a tube screamer but not just a ts808 or ts9, he also used the ts10 which no one seems to think is worth much. from what ive read from his tech, he got boxes of single strings from ghs. hed use 11s, 12s, and 13s depending on how his hands were feeling and his 13 set wasnt much different from my custom 11 set i used to use other than the high e (13, 15, 19, 28, 38, 58 vs 11, 15, 19 ,28, 38, 54), i think tuning down a 1/2 step is a bigger part of his sound. trying to say any one thing was the secret to srv's tone if foolish unless you are talking about his hands.
                            If you want to go to the bottom line it is what Albert King told him "in Session" it was about soul, really feeling the music. Guitar, strings, pedals, amps, even hands...are just tools...it is feeling the music that makes a SRV or an Albert King or...

Comment

i agree but hands are what puts soul and heart on steel

Comment

Built the Timmy overdrive and it is magnificent! Cost me $17 and about four hours of building and swearing.
                                Here is a link to the manual, it is pretty funny as well as informative: http://rjsanders.com/amps/Tim-Timmy.pdf
                                As you can see from the picture I have enough room left on the breadboard for a couple of more pedals. My goal is to have one pedal that has what I need plus the SD Pickup Booster.
                                I am thinking a phaser and an EQ. Any suggestions on what a couple of complementary pedals for blues/jazz stuff would be appreciated.
                                Here is the picture, looks like a mess right now but will be fine when I add the other devices and put in a box:
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	ATimmy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	5792614
                                Cheers!
                                Last edited by leevc5; 04-10-2016, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X