banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best kits? Looking to build a boost/overdrive.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best kits? Looking to build a boost/overdrive.

I am cheap and I like making things myself. I know my way around a soldering gun. I've built my own guitar from scratch and rewired several over the years. But I am not an electronics wizard, certainly not enough to put together the components for a good box by myself.

I've seen kits for sale, usually claiming to be a clone of a particular pedal. This intrigues me.
    Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) to share? I really want to know a) if they are worth pursuing and b) which brand/seller has the best or worst kits?
    Last edited by Dave Locher; 04-05-2016, 02:11 PM.

Re: Best kits? Looking to build a boost/overdrive.

Personally I am a big fan of BYOC (Build Your Own Clone) as the kits are complete, well tested and well supported through the forum. They are a premium priced product though. $70 for a Tube Screamer kit and $95 for a Fulldrive 2 kit.

Madbean sells the PCBs, and it's up to you to source the enclosure and components. Small Bear or Mouser are good sources for components at the quantities you will need.

If the goal is a great sounding pedal at a good price, another option is to modify existing pedals... The DS-1 and SD-1 are a dime a dozen and available used everywhere. A Google search will provide a nearly endless list of mods to these pedals. Since the SD-1 is essentially a Tube Screamer with asymmetrical clipping, there are references online to covert them to Zendrive, Fulldrive, Lovepedal Eternity and others. Premier Guitar still hosts an article from Brian Wampler (the man who sells $200 overdrives) on mods to these pedals as well.

I guess it al depends what you are really looking to get out of the activity.

Good luck on your tonal voyage!
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Kinda depends on what exactly you want to build, http://store.generalguitargadgets.com/kits.html has some of the best prices on kits, if they have what you want. BYOC has great kits too, but as said, they have a premium price, you can often find a version of the "real" pedal for not much more than the kit.

Comment

I have built several BYOC pedals and the components and support are top-notch - also, a great user forum. I'd definitely recommend them for your first couple of builds (I found working on pedals qualitatively different than guitars, not harder or easier, just different - so good to get a couple under your belt). I snagged a Silver Pony (Klon Centaur) before they were discontinued and it is a GREAT overdrive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I never thought of modifying! That might be a good place to start. Now the search begins for a cheap used SD-1 begins.
          Good to know kits aren't a waste of time & money. Thank you.

Comment

Get a DS-1. They are cheap and plentiful, and the mods are EVERYWHERE!

Also, for kits, this place is really reasonably priced: http://mklec.com/project-kits/guitar-effects-kits
            Last edited by trevorus; 04-05-2016, 09:19 PM.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
            Originally posted by Securb
            The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

GGG is cheap and good, mammoth is a bit more expensive but you can choose the enclosure and paint colour as well as cool knobs.
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I like these guys:

Comment

BYOC OD-2 is a good sounding TS clone with a boost switch.

Comment

Working...
                  X