banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Educate me on delay pedals tap tempo. Why you don't need it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Educate me on delay pedals tap tempo. Why you don't need it?

Originally posted by devastone View Post
    The FlyRig delay is based on the Boost DLA which is a great delay, but it is an analog voiced digital delay not a true analog delay.
    Whoa...it took about a half hour of rereading every scrap of text from tech21 + reviews to verify this, because the flyrig5 boasts an all analog signal path, but you are indeed correct. This thing sure sounds analog to my ears and I engineered sound samples for gigastudio/ et al for years.
    Getting back to the thread...Even I find that getting a good "super reverb" setting and then NOT using any tap tempo is easy and what I actually do most of the time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, sorry to bust your bubble on that, but the sound is what matters! And those FlyRigs sound great, I have been tempted many times.

As far as tap tempo, I have a Flashback but never use the tap tempo, I generally just use it to fatten solos and such. If I had enough coordination to set tempos on the fly I would have been a drummer

Comment

The FlyRig is indeed, a great pedal. The delay on that is wonderful.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Everyone else has done a great job explaining the why.

I use two delays, one for a slapback effect, reverb-ish and the other for a longer trail. As mentioned by others, I set the volume of the repeats so they are barely audible, with a higher feedback amount so they are felt more than heard. Too loud and the sound gets muddy and the guitar can get lost in the mix. We don't do any songs where I need an audible, pronounced, syncopated delay (like Edge would use). If we did, I would use tap-tempo to make sure the delay was in sync.

In a real reflective room, I usually won't even turn them on, as the room adds all the ambience I need.

Comment

To be honest I don't like taptempo much....
            All this sterile perfection, syncing and so on....
            No no give me a mountainrange for that real echo.....
            And big hall for that natural reverb.....modernist comfortist crap...go away!

Comment

Im going to go against the curve and say I use tap tempo all the time..... My music is all in different tempos and while I don't always go for a rythmic delay thing I find certain subdivisions the most pleasing especially dotted 8ths for clean stuff and 1/4 note delays for huge leads. Slapback and ambient delays I usually have a preset (Flashbackx4) that I manually chose the delay time for the sound qualities over the timing.
              Gondola Kid
              Bandcamp
              Facebook
              JimijaymesGuitarist
              Youtube

Comment

Taptempo is also a compromise..
                Feedback and level are just as important.

Comment

This all being said, I LOVE tap tempo. I also have expression pedal control for delay time and feedback. Cool for all sorts of noises.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    This all being said, I LOVE tap tempo. I also have expression pedal control for delay time and feedback. Cool for all sorts of noises.
                    Yep... pretty cool stuff, even though it may not get used real often. Particularly nice, IMO, for solo acoustic stuff... kinda hard sometimes to get 3-5 other musicians to adhere to a steady tempo! [emoji12]
                    Originally posted by The Commodores?
                    "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Originally posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
                      kinda hard sometimes to get 3-5 other musicians to adhere to a steady tempo!

Especially on stage, things can speed up.
                      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
                      X