Overdrive/Distortion pedals - IMO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overdrive/Distortion pedals - IMO

Thanks to several forumers I have been directed to a variety of Overdrive/Distortion pedals.

After trying a bunch of them I narrowed down to three IMO:
    1. The SD 805 http://www.seymourduncan.com/pedal/805-overdrive offers the widest range, from mild cool boost to full on distortion and the 3 selection EQ broadens the range even further. For 140 bucks it is a real winner. However, I don't really need the upper distortion range.

2. The Paul Cochrane Timmy that I built https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...=1#post3962623 Ref: #45 has a much narrower range. It is a flat/clean booster to mild crunchy overdrive effect, not a high gain distortion pedal. It doesn't offer as broad a range of EQ but does have bass and treble pots that are quite effective. In short it does exactly what I need and for the 17 bucks the parts cost me it is a great deal (~$150- $170 bucks if you buy one on ebay). Thanks to Paul Cochrane for making available the schematic and wiring diagram available.

3. The tube pedal I built has the narrowest range of all. However, it has a beautiful warm tube overdrive sweet spot that is the best of the bunch. Unfortunately it offers too small a range to be practical except as a very specialized pedal. https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...make-one/page3. It ended up costing about 10 bucks to build because I got lucky on ebay and got the the tube for $4.

Bottom line if you need a pedal that will give you everything from warm overdrive to screaming lead distortion you can't go wrong with the SD 805. If your requirements are for great sounding overdrive but don't need the full on distortion Timmy is a great choice. If you want to have some fun and try your hand at build a tube preamp that functions as an overdrive pedal the resources are readily available with a simple google search.
    Last edited by leevc5; 04-12-2016, 07:15 AM.

Re: Overdrive/Distortion pedals - IMO

Thanks for the review...I'm looking to buy one of those "MOD" pedal kits, hopefully this summer.

Comment

Lose that yellow font color. It's all washed out on a white background.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I love the 3 band active EQ on the 805. It cures what I don't like about most TS-based pedals.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yes, I agree EQ selections adds a whole new dimension to the flavors of overdrive and distortion you can get out of the 805. Pretty amazing that SD was able to pack so much into the 805 for 140 bucks. Obviously a great deal as I have been watching ebay and reverb to see if I could get a deal on one but the price is holding solid...bummer. Well, with the Timmy and the SD Pickup Booster I have enough to keep me in business but someday the price on the 805 is gonna break.
          Wonder why they called it the 805, couldn't think of anything so just used their area code?
          Last edited by leevc5; 04-12-2016, 08:19 PM.

Comment

I've actually been considering a Timmy clone but if it's a simple enough circuit I may look into building one as a project to learn from.

Comment

Originally posted by leevc5 View Post
              Yes, I agree EQ selections adds a whole new dimension to the flavors of overdrive and distortion you can get out of the 805. Pretty amazing that SD was able to pack so much into the 805 for 140 bucks. Obviously a great deal as I have been watching ebay and reverb to see if I could get a deal on one but the price is holding solid...bummer. Well, with the Timmy and the SD Pickup Booster I have enough to keep me in business but someday the price on the 805 is gonna break.
              Wonder why they called it the 805, couldn't think of anything so just used their area code?
              Well, 808 was taken.
              It gives the prospective buyer a pretty good idea what it is. But yes, it is the area code.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
              X