Fulltone OCD v3 vs. Xotic BB Preamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fulltone OCD v3 vs. Xotic BB Preamp

I'm going to do a shootout of my Fulltone OCD v3 vs. my Xotic BB-COMP Preamp to see which works better in my rig.

There may not be a clear winner, in which case I may keep both. But in the event I clearly prefer one or the other, the loser gets sold.

I'll report back on my observations after the shootout is done. For those of you who've tried, used, or owned both, what were your observations and thoughts?

Re: Fulltone OCD v3 vs. Xotic BB Preamp

I've played OCDs at a friend's house but never bonded with them. When I played his BB Preamp, I went out and bought one myself. Mine's just the stock orange BB, not the Comp. I'm not a fan of compressed overdrives. The BB's extra pick attack and dynamic response is why I ended up choosing it over my other favorite, and venerable SD-1.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Excited for the results. Can you also try boosting both with a low gain tube screamer?
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Cool. I absolutely love the BB Preamp. Great as a boost, overdrive, or EQ.
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

The BB-COMP version has a 3-way mini toggle that allows you to select the "standard" amount of compression which the normal BB has, none at all, or extra compression like the Andy Timmons version has. I find it very useful for rounding out the sound, but it does make you have to go back and re-adjust level settings.

Comment

I have experience with OCD, but not the BB. I've read in various places the BB is a low to med gain pedal modeled after the original (low gain) Marshall Blues Breaker. Is that true? Is the Xotci BB a low gainer? I have an original black box Blues Breaker (my fav overdrive) and it's nothing like the OCD! Both are cool pedals and compliment each other well, but the OCD has more girth and gain on 2 than the blues breaker does nailed!

Now, if my info in not correct, I stand corrected!

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
              ... extra compression like the Andy Timmons version has.
              I owned a Timmons for a very short while and didn't like it. I beat feet back to the orange box in short order.
              Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
              Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Tell you what - how many of you folks would like me to record the shootout - high quality audio, mics, cabs, and documented settings?

Comment

Sounds awesome!

(If you put it on YouTube in video form you might get a decent view count too. )
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Of COURSE we want video!
                    But I'm also curious just to read your thoughts about them back-to-back.

Comment

Pictures, yes. Audio, yes. If I put it into video form it'll just be a mashup of those two. Nobody wants to watch a short tubby bald dude mowing through blues licks - "Just show me the gear and the pedals!" you know?

Comment

Video doesn't have to be of you... It can be the pedalboard.
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Exactly. I have watched several YouTube videos where all you see besides the pedals are the player's finger or toes when they click one on or off.
                          Besides, who knows what someone our there might be looking for ☺

Comment

Just played both pedals in the rig tonight. It'll be a week or two before I have funds to use for studio time but it'll be fun.

I think it'll be fun to decide now what kinds of settings to compare...

Comment

Which do you prefer based off of your initial impression?
                              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Working...
                              X